FOR FLIPS SAKE, WE'VE SIGNED VERTONGHEN!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Apparently we've signed Vertonghen

Belgium prefer Vermaelan and Van Buyten at centre back, so if their manager knows anything, he's not as good....

If we've already wrapped it up, how can we wait until the last hour of the window to actually wrap it up? Seems un-Spurs like.

Someareteeth said:
If we've already wrapped it up, how can we wait until the last hour of the window to actually wrap it up? Seems un-Spurs like.
Don't worry, Levy will haggle over agent fees up to the last minute.

Re: Moneyball Vertonghen

There's no rules here. Start another thread about Vertonghen if you like.

Belgium are looking surprisingly strong for 2014. Vermaelen, Verthongen, Van Buyten Kompany, Fellaini, Hazard, Dembele, Lukaku.

haasing1986 said:
Belgium are looking surprisingly strong for 2014. Vermaelen, Verthongen, Van Buyten Kompany, Fellaini, Hazard, Dembele, Lukaku.
Put a stack of cash on them for 2014 and 2016 a couple of years back. Would've put more on if I'd known they would have Scotland in the qualifiers!

Hate to be a negative nancy but if indeed he cant get in to the Belgium squad you have to wonder how good he is. Im sure he is a very good player but now we need top top class players cos we are a top top class team in a top top position in the table. I want us to sign better players than Woolwich, not players who arent quite as good as theirs.....assuming of course he isnt quite as good as Vermalen.....

Also...

It has been reported that Tottenham have sent their scout and former manager David Pleat to report on Vertonghen's playing ability ahead of a January transfer.

:huh:

Dru said:
Hate to be a negative nancy but if indeed he cant get in to the Belgium squad you have to wonder how good he is. Im sure he is a very good player but now we need top top class players cos we are a top top class team in a top top position in the table. I want us to sign better players than a***nal, not players who arent quite as good as theirs.....assuming of course he isnt quite as good as Vermalen.....

What do you mean "can't get in the Belgian squad?" - the guy has 35+ caps and he's only 24! It's pretty clear that we're signing him for his versatility too. Bassong has been way off sorts this season, he wasn't great last season either, & I think part of the problem is that Harry only sees Seb as a CB. Considering we've got Ledley & Gallas ahead of him in that position, he just doesn't look like getting a game.

Vertonghen, on the other hand, can play in several positions and is far less error prone than Seb. It's a shame as I really had high hopes for Seb. I think, when we signed him, King looked as good as done, we had no Gallas nor Kaboul and there were doubts over Dawson, so Seb looked as though he'd be the longterm solution. Now though, he looks anything but and I have, let alone Harry, lost all confidence in him after some truly shocking defensive mistakes - YB, Woolwich CC, Rubin Kazan, Aston Villa 2009-10, PAOK, etc.

He needs to move on, but we still need someone as a long-term, left-sided CB replacement. King & Gallas won't be around forever but they're going strong just for now. Vertonghen could provide that future option whilst, with him being that much more versatile than Seb, still find game time in our current squad

Interesting idea Bass, although where do you see him getting game time other than at CB, in our first team? Someone said he can play as a CDM I think. But he's got no chance, behind Parker and Sandro.

S.L.R said:
Interesting idea Bass, although where do you see him getting game time other than at CB, in our first team? Someone said he can play as a CDM I think. But he's got no chance, behind Parker and Sandro.

I think I've heard some people say he can play LB pretty well, too. Wouldn't be a bad backup to BAE.

VirginiaSpur said:
S.L.R said:

I think I've heard some people say he can play LB pretty well, too. Wouldn't be a bad backup to BAE.
Aye he can. Very good left foot, can even twat in a decent freekick. Does only use his right foot for standing on though.

leftorium_400.jpg

Dru said:
Hate to be a negative nancy but if indeed he cant get in to the Belgium squad you have to wonder how good he is. Im sure he is a very good player but now we need top top class players cos we are a top top class team in a top top position in the table. I want us to sign better players than a***nal, not players who arent quite as good as theirs.....assuming of course he isnt quite as good as Vermalen.....

He plays DM for the Belgium squad, not CB. He's very similar in style to Phil Jones at United, with the ability to play all over the back (LB, CB, DM) with ease.

Back
Top Bottom