Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not Dier, NOT at CB. He even dwells on the ball too long in midfield occasionally, and at CB that's suicide (anfield last season). As much as I like the guy and pleased to see him on the team sheet, he's not alert enough to play CB and it's been demonstrated. My take anyway.
REALLY like the potential I've seen in Foyth though.

A shame that it's likely he'll be off but if it's PSG we can almost certainly fleece them a record fee for a defender.

Can see £60,000,000 - £70,000,000 to be honest. Which is absolutely ridiculous for a centre back.

I think its obvious now. Toby is being respectful and not making a fuss, and we're not playing him as he's out of our long term plans.

Good luck, he was great. I remember watching him away at Everton a few years back and thinking he's one of the best I've seen live.

The PSG link worries me however. I don't want them sniffing around Poch.

Foyth is a baller a genuine mix between Jan and Toby, he's good with the ball at his feet like Jan and good 1vs 1 like Toby. Above all else he's stood up to the rough that's been dished out on him, he's rightly been the targeted by the oppo attackers. An oppo CF has always stood on him as clearly he's likely to get more joy against a young inexperienced kid than say he would against Vertonghen. During this I think there hasn't been a game where his not taken a elbow or forearm to the face. In every case he's stood up, not even flinched, he's battled away as if it's the 1970's not showing that he's been hurt but more importantly played his game, played our way, playing out from the back, making angles to receive the ball, being brave to receive the ball in tight areas.

I just love watching him play football.

I love Alderwiereld, fantastic signing and when both he an Jan play there is no question they make up the best CB partnership in World football. I think that was previously held by Chellini and Bonucci when both at Juve. BUT, we've coped without him admirably this season, just as Juve have coped without Bonucci. So much has to do with how we are set up, same too goes for Juve. But look at Milan with Bonucci at the back, they looked shit against what is still a flaccid Woolwich attack.

Over the past two season though it's been a rare sight to have both of them playing together given both were injured at different points last season, and then Toby's injury this. If we allready have our ducks in a row for our CB's and we do lose Alderwiereld then our biggest weakness could be if we also lose Vertonghen to injury, it will not be down to a quality issue but more an experience and mentality issue. Both Jan and Toby are both the leaders at the back and can be seen always talking and organising the defence (mind you so to does Davies if you watch him closely). It's only a potential problem I foresee and based on nothing but their respective ages (Sanchez, Foyth both being very young) and this hasn't been tested so may be a concern over nothing.

But last year I was disappointed to lose Walker, I think we are still weaker in that position today. (although Aurier will have benefited from playing games this year and for having a pre-season with us ahead of next year & Walker-Peters has impressed on his what 2(??) appearances - I think he's a better footballer than Tripps) but I don't have any fear about losing Alderwiereld as I did losing Walker. I'm very, very confident in the options we have and if Jan commits with us which he is looking to do then I think we are fine defensively.

Final word on defence would be if we lose Rose, whilst again we have shown we can compete without him this season, for the same reasons given above, I would like to see us bring in a dynamic fast LB if he gets his dream move he so desperately thinks he deserves and wants.

Last edited:
Not Dier, NOT at CB. He even dwells on the ball too long in midfield occasionally, and at CB that's suicide (anfield last season). As much as I like the guy and pleased to see him on the team sheet, he's not alert enough to play CB and it's been demonstrated. My take anyway.
REALLY like the potential I've seen in Foyth though.

Like Dier but scares me in the CB role, partly due to awareness as you've said but also his ability to play a couple of silly passes per match. In the prem with so many quality teams it's that moment of madness that will cost us the game. So he's great higher up the pitch but not in our last line of defence.

Like Dier but scares me in the CB role, partly due to awareness as you've said but also his ability to play a couple of silly passes per match. In the prem with so many quality teams it's that moment of madness that will cost us the game. So he's great higher up the pitch but not in our last line of defence.
When Dier plays at CB he hasn't the protection that he gives CB when playing as DM. (In my head that makes sense but not sure if I've got my words in order).

Who does Dier have in front of him in the DM role when Dier is playing CB? The answer to this hasn't been Wanyama because he's been injured, it's been Winks.

If you look through these glasses there is the reason you may question Diers CB abilities. Look at Jan when he doesn't have an effective DM in front of him, he's poor 1vs1, we get into 1vs1 situations when the oppo are given a free run at him (when Winks plays there).

Dier is a very good CB.

Last edited:
Unusually for an International break I actually want some of our players to get minutes playing for their country. Toby, rose and Winks hopefully play as much as possible. Depending on how they play could affect team selection for the Chelsea match.

From football.london (no idea whether it's a reliable site)...

Poch says ....

"Juan is 20 now and a great talent. He only needs time to adapt himself to the Premier League. He is going to surprise many people. Juan is a great kid with a lot of quality to become one of the fantastic centre-backs in the Premier League and Europe too."

For Pochettino to be able to work closely with his young compatriot in the next two weeks will help lay the groundwork to eventually ease Foyth into Premier League action.

He's definitely seen as the future. Wouldn't even surprise me if he was bought specifically with an eye on being a replacement for Toby.
I've been very impressed with Foyth but I'd be a bit disappointed if he was Toby's replacement

I've been very impressed with Foyth but I'd be a bit disappointed if he was Toby's replacement
Why's that mate.
I know that he is inexperienced, but he looks VERY promising.
I think (if we don't buy someone) that every one just steps up a place i.e. Sanchez replaces Toby and Foyth is back up.

Why's that mate.
I know that he is inexperienced, but he looks VERY promising.
I think (if we don't buy someone) that every one just steps up a place i.e. Sanchez replaces Toby and Foyth is back up.
I don't think we'd be able to compete for the league with Foyth starting. I think you're forgetting just how great a defender Toby is. I seriously doubt Sanchez will step up to Toby's level, especially not after just one season

I don't think we'd be able to compete for the league with Foyth starting. I think you're forgetting just how great a defender Toby is. I seriously doubt Sanchez will step up to Toby's level, especially not after just one season
Many have quickly forgotten that Toby is one of the top three central defenders in the world. The only way to replace him is with one of the few players who make up the others in the top five or so. That’s unlikely, so we will not be as strong.

We won at the weekend without Kane, but nobody seems to be suggesting we’d be fine if he left. Why it’s being said about Toby amazes me.

But he has done just that. Since Toby's been out we've lost just 3 games (Juve, Woolwich & leicester) in FIVE MONTHS of football. It wasn't until our loss to Juve the joint longest unbeaten run of any club in Europes top five leagues.

But he has done just that. Since Toby's been out we've lost just 3 games (Juve, Woolwich & leicester) in FIVE MONTHS of football. It wasn't until our loss to Juve the joint longest unbeaten run of any club in Europes top five leagues.

I think we've coped well but we have missed him.

It's like that run we had when Kane was out injured and we still won games, looked good and scored goals. We coped. But we are ultimately a better team with him. Just like Toby.

It's a shame it's come to this to be honest. He comes across as respectful so I don't think it's anything like the Walker situation, I just think Poch knows this summer will be the only time he can get something big for Toby and he will cash in with that mindset of being able to cope without him and hoping Sanchez steps it up a notch next season with Foyth playing a more prominent role too.

I, like you, rate Foyth very highly. So composed. Comfortable moving forward with the ball. Two footed. Great balance. Not afraid to put himself about a bit. The way he dealt with the physicality of the lower league players and the likes of Andy Carroll were what impressed me most.

Many have quickly forgotten that Toby is one of the top three central defenders in the world. The only way to replace him is with one of the few players who make up the others in the top five or so. That’s unlikely, so we will not be as strong.

We won at the weekend without Kane, but nobody seems to be suggesting we’d be fine if he left. Why it’s being said about Toby amazes me.

We've have been fine though. He's been out since October...we have lost one game in 19.

It's Danny Rose all over again

Back
Top Bottom