January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seems increasingly likely that the goons have beaten us to Malcom. We should go for Hirving Lozano or Leon Bailey

Nah, I think we're using Woolwich as a stalking horse, waiting for them to agree terms before we match them, and he'll choose to come here because it's the more attractive proposition. I think Sanchez will end up seeing out his contract.

Seems increasingly likely that the goons have beaten us to Malcom. We should go for Hirving Lozano or Leon Bailey

Malcom for 45m? He's an unproven 20 year old? 7 goals in 33 last year and now 7 in 16 this year .... remember that's in France were Laccazete banged in 30+ .... not at all sure we wouldn't be better off with four 10m 'Dele's' .... let Woolwich keep buying the French League duds .....

Malcom for 45m? He's an unproven 20 year old? 7 goals in 33 last year and now 7 in 16 this year .... remember that's in France were Laccazete banged in 30+ .... not at all sure we wouldn't be better off with four 10m 'Dele's' .... let Woolwich keep buying the French League duds .....
Do you mean four 10m N'obodies from Ligue 1?

Last edited:
We need to actually spend 40m+ on a good player if we want top 4. None of this 15m on a prospect rubbish as that won't help us this season. Need to get with the times and realise that quality is expensive. I'd be looking at gelson martins or someone of that ilk as well as bringing onomah back to play CM. GKN is gone so that leaves son as our only winger/fast forward and we definitely need another, especially if, god forbid, something happens to son.

We need to actually spend 40m+ on a good player if we want top 4. None of this 15m on a prospect rubbish as that won't help us this season. Need to get with the times and realise that quality is expensive. I'd be looking at gelson martins or someone of that ilk as well as bringing onomah back to play CM. GKN is gone so that leaves son as our only winger/fast forward and we definitely need another, especially if, god forbid, something happens to son.
By definition 'prospects' should improve the squad over time so I disagree with you on that. However I agree that if something happens to Son we are in real trouble.

Honestly it would hurt to miss out on top 4 by a small margin if we don't end up signing anybody this window. I don't know that much about the business end of football, but surely dropping 40m is worth securing champions league? Although what players in that price range could we realistically get that would make that big of a difference at this point in the season?

Last edited:

Why - we haven't spent £40m on a single player in our history, yet finished 2nd last season?

Our most expensive signing is Davinson Sanchez, a decent player, before that we spent £30m on Lamela and Sissoko. We spent £5m on Dele Alli. My point being the price tag on a player means nothing and high transfer fees don't necessarily deliver instant gratification or even the right player for the squad. It also promotes the idea of spending intelligently not excessively.

As an alternative theory, maybe Poch has seen a youth player who he wants to blood in to GKN's berth? I don't know but you have to assume we wouldn't let a player go without either 1 of 2 key motivations. It's either GKN is not delivering enough to justify selection and a loan move is needed to see if he can make a name for himself at Turf Moor or that Poch has a better player lined up to fit in the system. Neither of those 2 scenarios justify us breaking our transfer record, especially in the January window which often reeks of despair and bad buys.

As for top 4, as much as I would love it, it's not the end of days if we don't make it, before 2015 it happened most of the time and we all got by somehow. If we're not good enough for top 4, it won't be because of this transfer window in any case, I would say it is partly down to adapting to Wembley and losing Wanyama.

By definition 'prospects' should improve the squad over time so I disagree with you on that. However I agree that if something happens to Son we are in real trouble.
I probably phrased that badly. I'm all for signing young prospects like sessegnon or that arp kid but they're addition won't really help us this season, they're more for in 2+ years' time. We need first 11 quality to really improve now (and make top 4) and that's what I'd like to see, signing a gkn or n'jie likely won't do that for us. I know it's hard for the club to get these sorts of players in but we really need to start offering appropriate sums rather than trying to haggle down to half price. Dropping 42m+ on sanchez showed that we definitely can do this. I'd take one really good addition over 2 or 3 "prospects" any day of the week. In saying that I would love for us to bring in sessegnon now and loan him back

I probably phrased that badly. I'm all for signing young prospects like sessegnon or that arp kid but they're addition won't really help us this season, they're more for in 2+ years' time. We need first 11 quality to really improve now (and make top 4) and that's what I'd like to see, signing a gkn or n'jie likely won't do that for us. I know it's hard for the club to get these sorts of players in but we really need to start offering appropriate sums rather than trying to haggle down to half price. Dropping 42m+ on sanchez showed that we definitely can do this. I'd take one really good addition over 2 or 3 "prospects" any day of the week. In saying that I would love for us to bring in sessegnon now and loan him back

Umm, £42m is the maximum we will pay for Sanchez if all of the add ons are achieved, knowing Levy we paid £30 and there are £41,999,970 worth of add ons

Leon Bailey in the summer please - only 20 years old!

Leverkusen bought him from Genk last year for about £15m... We should have been all over it then instead of pissing around with N'Koudou! Now you're probably looking at at least £40m... Our scouting has been shocking over the last few years...

Arp has just followed pretty much all the spurs first team on instagram......
raw.gif

The team we have is definitely capable of clinching top 4 as it is. Especially if we can get Toby fit and playing again ASAP.

Honestly it would hurt to miss out on top 4 by a small margin if we don't end up signing anybody this window. I don't know that much about the business end of football, but surely dropping 40m is worth securing champions league? Although what players in that price range could we realistically get that would make that big of a difference at this point in the season?
I think you answered your own question there!

Quite excited about this Arp guy.

Good height to him, models himself on Kane, probably wouldn't mind being on the bench behind Kane and learning, 18 years old, 20 goals in 26 games in his career (Youth internationals and club football) and is a Spurs fan.

The team we have is definitely capable of clinching top 4 as it is. Especially if we can get Toby fit and playing again ASAP.

I think we play a game of Russian roulette if I am being honest.

Lose Kane or Alli for 2 months and I see limitations that we cannot cope with.

I just cannot fathom how we fail to find a reasonable snd affordable alternative who can give us options and some peace of mind if something befalls the aforementioned players.

Back
Top Bottom