Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is it me or are players out for longer periods these days than years ago-whats the motivation?
Players used to play all season with niggling injuries and just play through them. I guess its football... when theres something to play for, everyone wants to play-whereas when your struggling or a WC coming , suddenly players seem to rest up. We should have a rested, fit and injury free squad going into the latter stages of the season.
These days they are much fitter, more finely tuned. I figure it means a small strain or tweak is more likely to knock them off balance. (An F1 car beaks down more often than my Kia.).
Obviously there are also players that will not play unless they feel 100% (sturridge) and players that will run through walls even if their head falls off, but that's always been the case

These days they are much fitter, more finely tuned. I figure it means a small strain or tweak is more likely to knock them off balance. (An F1 car beaks down more often than my Kia.).
Obviously there are also players that will not play unless they feel 100% (sturridge) and players that will run through walls even if their head falls off, but that's always been the case
Yes I agree with the second part. If anything, they are fitter, healthier and are monitored regularly so shouldn't become unfit as much. Also with modern tech , recovery should be easier as the injuries are easily detected and then assessed .
I feel it may be the fault of the modern. Not only are the players in control and acting all mamby pamby. its also a Squads game. A coach may feel its an opportunity to play others whereas years ago your choice was limited to fewer numbers. The WC is a factor also.

Yes I agree with the second part. If anything, they are fitter, healthier and are monitored regularly so shouldn't become unfit as much. Also with modern tech , recovery should be easier as the injuries are easily detected and then assessed .
I feel it may be the fault of the modern. Not only are the players in control and acting all mamby pamby. its also a Squads game. A coach may feel its an opportunity to play others whereas years ago your choice was limited to fewer numbers. The WC is a factor also.
It's more to do with the fact that everybody has to be at 100% these days, especially in defensive areas. Anybody carrying an injury will be horribly exposed.

in Wanyama's last match for us he was poor. We now know he was not fit and clearly wanted to play on. It did him no favours and shows how much performance can be affected by injuries. Other players have played through injuries and their form had dipped and they get criticised by their own fans. It is often later that it is revealed they played through injury. Wanyama is fully training and maybe players years ago would have got back in the team when their fitness reached this point but look at how long it is taking Rose to regain full fitness and hopefully Wanyama will be quicker once he starts playing.

There is a small dog in the background in a perfect sized kennel, everything would be sized right in that household I reckon!

Some itk on spurscommunuty that the feeling in the club is that he won't sign a new contract and will push for a move in the Summer, probably to City. Glad now we never really gave him a proper song.

Some itk on spurscommunuty that the feeling in the club is that he won't sign a new contract and will push for a move in the Summer, probably to City. Glad now we never really gave him a proper song.

I wouldn’t get to caught up in ‘ITK’ but yes the lack of a deal is a little concerning and the fact that City with their billions can double your money and give more chance of a trophy must sit on some players minds. Let’s hope this all gets sorted.

I wouldn’t get to caught up in ‘ITK’ but yes the lack of a deal is a little concerning and the fact that City with their billions can double your money and give more chance of a trophy must sit on some players minds. Let’s hope this all gets sorted.

Poch said he was confident a deal would be done.......

that's all I need

Fucking Woolwich like mentality here. Man City are definitely coming in with a record bid in the summer.

Double his wages. Win some trophies. Pretty enticing when your current team don't want to do all it takes to keep you.

Just get it done ffs

Fucking Woolwich like mentality here. Man City are definitely coming in with a record bid in the summer.

Double his wages. Win some trophies. Pretty enticing when your current team don't want to do all it takes to keep you.

Just get it done ffs

Have to agree with that.
I’m pretty sure I’ve read on here that he has a buyout clause which can be activated in the final 12 months (unless I dreamed that?)
It would be a sin to let it get to that stage. We should be putting our cards on the table now & getting the job done with his contract imo. We can always extend it by 12 months on improved terms & then see how both parties feel once we’ve moved into NWHL & the landscape is a bit clearer...unless of course Toby is already eyeing up a mega move to a moneybags club? Even then we should still be holding talks to persuade him his future is with us. He knows how valuable he is to us but it doesn’t hurt to remind him of this from time to time.

Let him fuck off if that's what he wants to. No player is bigger than the club.

If Poch can make Lovren look like prime Ferdinand he can easily turn any young talented CB like Sanchez into world class.

I think that Levy will wait until he has a better idea if we are playing at WHL next summer AND what income he is getting from season ticket sales And whether we have CL. If all 3 are ok then I expect better contracts for key players.

Have to agree with that.
I’m pretty sure I’ve read on here that he has a buyout clause which can be activated in the final 12 months (unless I dreamed that?)
It would be a sin to let it get to that stage. We should be putting our cards on the table now & getting the job done with his contract imo. We can always extend it by 12 months on improved terms & then see how both parties feel once we’ve moved into NWHL & the landscape is a bit clearer...unless of course Toby is already eyeing up a mega move to a moneybags club? Even then we should still be holding talks to persuade him his future is with us. He knows how valuable he is to us but it doesn’t hurt to remind him of this from time to time.
I believe the buyout only comes into force if we take up the option to extend his contract by a year.

Bought 2 young centre backs last summer. 1 of whom is a first choice already.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Toby is off.

No way will he be able to justify getting paid more than Kane so unless we totally break our wage structure I can’t see him signing another contract.

Bought 2 young centre backs last summer. 1 of whom is a first choice already.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Toby is off.

No way will he be able to justify getting paid more than Kane so unless we totally break our wage structure I can’t see him signing another contract.
He is not going anywhere, Levy will give him a new deal and part of that will include Toby mentoring the two new CBs we have signed.

Back
Top Bottom