Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think if am injury to one player results in such form then we have serious issues at the club. If that really is the case then we need to throw every penny at it.
Exactly. This team has serious problems when it comes to depth, people have been saying this for years now. But throwing every penny at it isn't really an option because of other concerns like the stadium. Blaming a decline in form and especially atrocious defending on a book doesn't make much sense when the far more obvious culprit of the team's best defender being injured is staring us right in the face. Not to mention Wanyama being out as well.

We don’t know if they were or not.

The point as I have stated numerous times already is that there is absolutely no need for any of this. The book was completely unnecessary. You may consider this a non issue and that may be. My point is why run the risk of unsettling the dressing room in an era where players hold such sway. It doesn’t take much these days and airing private dealings public is one way of doing that. The book may have absolutely nothing to do with our form, it may be wholly responsible for it, we don’t know. What we do know is that our form has declined since its release and that should warrant discussion.

It has, but it hasn't declined because of the book.

October 15th: Book is released (according to wikipedia)
October 17th: D-Real Madrid 1, Spurs 1
October 22: W-Spurs 4, Liverpool 1
October 28th: L-Man United 1, Spurs 0
November 1st: W-Spurs 3, Madrid 1
----Alderweireld injured during the Madrid game---
November 5th: W-Spurs 1, Crystal Palace 0
November 18th: L-Woolwich 2, Spurs 0
November 21st: W-Dortmund 1, Spurs 2
November 25th: D-Spurs 1, West Brom 1
November 28th: L-Leicester 2, Spurs 1
December 2nd: D- Watford 1, Spurs 1

You keep rambling on, "there was no need for the book", "hes airing out private matters" But you are still yet to say what in the book you are referring to that could of miraculously caused a dip in form.

I’m bored of saying this, it is the very nature of the book that is the issue. The fact that private discussions and dealings have been made public. How this this so difficult to understand? If i was a player I wouldn’t be comfortable with a manager doing this, I would have reservations about future dealings ( how would I know that any conversation wouldn’t be publicised in a future book) . Why you and the other poster have chosen this tact of wanting a specific in event on the book resulting in our poor form I do not know. It is the very nature of book that is the issue here.

I’m bored of saying this, it is the very nature of the book that is the issue. The fact that private discussions and dealings have been made public. How this this so difficult to understand? If i was a player I wouldn’t be comfortable with a manager doing this, I would have reservations about future dealings ( how would I know that any conversation wouldn’t be publicised in a future book) . Why you and the other poster have chosen this tact of wanting a specific in event on the book resulting in our poor form I do not know. It is the very nature of book that is the issue here.
It took almost a month after the book's release for the team to start playing poorly....are they just slow readers?

And the irony is that I have not once said that I dislike him, in fact I have said on here he is the best Spurs manager in my time at he club. It’s probably best to put me on ignore and then you can stop seeing what you want to see.
Yes, and you went on to say "but I'd get rid in a flash and bring in Simeone".

Can you see how the unremitting negativity of your posts on here gets people's backs up? I actually think you argue your points quite well most of the time. You just come across as a bloke who'd pull Holly Willoughby and then be like "Meh! She's not Megan Fox is she?"

Exactly. This team has serious problems when it comes to depth, people have been saying this for years now. But throwing every penny at it isn't really an option because of other concerns like the stadium. Blaming a decline in form and especially atrocious defending on a book doesn't make much sense when the far more obvious culprit of the team's best defender being injured is staring us right in the face. Not to mention Wanyama being out as well.

It has, but it hasn't declined because of the book.

October 15th: Book is released (according to wikipedia)
October 17th: D-Real Madrid 1, Spurs 1
October 22: W-Spurs 4, Liverpool 1
October 28th: L-Man United 1, Spurs 0
November 1st: W-Spurs 3, Madrid 1
----Alderweireld injured during the Madrid game---
November 5th: W-Spurs 1, Crystal Palace 0
November 18th: L-Woolwich 2, Spurs 0
November 21st: W-Dortmund 1, Spurs 2
November 25th: D-Spurs 1, West Brom 1
November 28th: L-Leicester 2, Spurs 1

I don’t think we have serious depth issues, this is the strongest Spurs squad I have seen. We have Vertonghen, Sanchez and Dier to cover that postion we probably have the strongest defensive line up in the league. Alderwield is a superb centre back but we shouldn be able to manage is absence especially with the personnel available. The same with Wynamma, we have Dier to cover whose partnership with Dembele was arguably the best in the league in the season prior to Wynama joining. The side and bench against Watford was extremely strong and yet our performance was poor. As for the correlation between our form and Alderwield being injured then there is certainly an argument to be made but it is very worrying of that is the case because the loss of one player shouldn’t result in such form.

How is any of what you said relevant to our current form, going by your thinking that all the players were completely unaware such a book was coming out (even though even we've all known about it for the past couple months) why would they all start performing badly in the past month because they have "reservations about future dealings" with the manager. Fucking hell do you read the shit your writing, sound like a loony conspiracy theorist.

Yes, and you went on to say "but I'd get rid in a flash and bring in Simeone".

Can you see how the unremitting negativity of your posts on here gets people's backs up? I actually think you argue your points quite well most of the time. You just come across as a bloke who'd pull Holly Willoughby and then be like "Meh! She's not Megan Fox is she?"

I said in a flash did I? I don’t recall that. What I said is that the likes of Ancellotti and Simeone are better managers ( which few would dare to dispute) and if the opportunity presented itself the i would upgrade. I have absolutely no doubt that should the likes of PSG or Real come calling for him he would choose to upgrade on us ( I wouldn’t hold it against him for going) so why should we be any different? I love how absolutely no one take issue when we do this with players but it is somehow wholly unacceptable when it comes to a manger.

I see a lot of disagreements on this forum without people getting red carded though, maybe people just feel there isn't a need for those who use this forum just to shit all over the team we all love with every post they make.

This....

I don't even use the poxy 'card system'.

We don’t know if they were or not.

The point as I have stated numerous times already is that there is absolutely no need for any of this. The book was completely unnecessary. You may consider this a non issue and that may be. My point is why run the risk of unsettling the dressing room in an era where players hold such sway. It doesn’t take much these days and airing private dealings public is one way of doing that. The book may have absolutely nothing to do with our form, it may be wholly responsible for it, we don’t know. What we do know is that our form has declined since its release and that should warrant discussion.
This is a stupid narrative stirred up by the media. Was the book effecting our form against Real or Dortmund? No.

The problem is clear. We have 2 essential players out injured in Toby and Wanyama with players such as Dembele not anywhere near his best following injury.

Dele has been off form all season so not book related. Eriksen is burnt out / in horrible form and not on the end of any negativity in the book anyway.

Kane was also struggling with injury for part of this bad run too. There are a number of obvious factors to this run of form and none of them have anything to do with that book.

How is any of what you said relevant to our current form, going by your thinking that all the players were completely unaware such a book was coming out (even though even we've all known about it for the past couple months) why would they all start performing badly in the past month because they have "reservations about future dealings" with the manager. Fucking hell do you read the shit your writing, sound like a loony conspiracy theorist.

I have said it is a discussion point, Jesus Christ. Such things can result in a manger loosing a dressing room, we saw that with O Leary. We will see if this just a down turn in form or something is larger at play in the next month but it certainly warrants discussion now because there is a correlation there and for me demonstrates a judgement issue with out manager. No benefit can possibly come from this book, it only has capacity to do damage the club. Why that some struggle with that notion I do not know.

I don’t think we have serious depth issues, this is the strongest Spurs squad I have seen. We have Vertonghen, Sanchez and Dier to cover that postion we probably have the strongest defensive line up in the league. Alderwield is a superb centre back but we shouldn be able to manage is absence especially with the personnel available. The same with Wynamma, we have Dier to cover whose partnership with Dembele was arguably the best in the league in the season prior to Wynama joining. The side and bench against Watford was extremely strong and yet our performance was poor. As for the correlation between our form and Alderwield being injured then there is certainly an argument to be made but it is very worrying of that is the case because the loss of one player shouldn’t result in such form.
I think there are serious depth issues. The team is dramatically worse without Alderweireld, Dier and Sanchez are talented young defenders but both are prone to dumb mistakes (like we saw with Sanchez in the Watford game). It was the same way last season, when Alderweireld was out injured there were a ton of shit results, with the occasional win against utter garbage like Bob Bradley's Swansea. Blaming this whole thing on a book which I would be willing to bet a lot of money that none of the players bothered to read just seems silly.

I said in a flash did I? I don’t recall that. What I said is that the likes of Ancellotti and Simeone are better managers ( which few would dare to dispute)
Horses for courses. Would Ancelotti have transformed young talent on a shoestring budget as MP has done?
and if the opportunity presented itself the i would upgrade. I have absolutely no doubt that should the likes of PSG or Real come calling for him he would choose to upgrade on us
You don't know that. One reason for MP's popularity is he seems to be cut from different cloth to the mercenarys dominating the game today. He's publicly stated his intention to stay with this project and I personally believe him.
I love how absolutely no one take issue when we do this with players but it is somehow wholly unacceptable when it comes to a manger.
The manager's role at the club is clearly pivotal in a way that few players can be, so naturally people take it harder.

I think there are serious depth issues. The team is dramatically worse without Alderweireld, Dier and Sanchez are talented young defenders but both are prone to dumb mistakes (like we saw with Sanchez in the Watford game). It was the same way last season, when Alderweireld was out injured there were a ton of shit results, with the occasional win against utter garbage like Bob Bradley's Swansea. Blaming this whole thing on a book which I would be willing to bet a lot of money that none of the players bothered to read just seems silly.

But I haven’t done that, I have stated that it may be one possible reason behind it, that is it.

Agree, but some players are of a quality and importance to the team that they're virtually impossible to back up. Toby and Harry being examples for us. Even the deepest squads can struggle in such circumstances, look at City's struggles without Kompany.

Horses for courses. Would Ancelotti have transformed young talent on a shoestring budget as MP has done?

You don't know that. One reason for MP's popularity is he seems to be cut from different cloth to the mercenarys dominating the game today. He's publicly stated his intention to stay with this project and I personally believe him.

The manager's role at the club is clearly pivotal in a way that few players can be, so naturally people take it harder.

Yes I think he would have given that he is one of the most decorated managers in the game and we would largely have the same personnel as we do now. I suspect we may have actually have won silverware as well.

As for Pochettinho, we’ll call me cynical but I see how the modern game works, where we stand in this and how virtually all professionals want to work at the highest level. Poch made those statements but it was only last year where he stated that it was his dream to return to PSG. Do you honestly think he would turn down that squad and those resources to stay with us? I don’t think so somehow.

I have said it is a discussion point, Jesus Christ. Such things can result in a manger loosing a dressing room, we saw that with O Leary. We will see if this just a down turn in form or something is larger at play in the next month but it certainly warrants discussion now because there is a correlation there and for me demonstrates a judgement issue with out manager. No benefit can possibly come from this book, it only has capacity to do damage the club. Why that some struggle with that notion I do not know.
Are you Adrian Durham by any chance? This all sounds like the type of shit talksport or sky would come up with. So let me get this straight you think Poch may have lost the dressing room because of this book, which really doesn't say much about the current squad other than an incident with mourinho and dier. This book which we have known was coming out for ages, so I'm 100% certain the players did and will have known exactly what was being said. Your silly conspiracy theory has no legs, so there's your 'discussion' you've been wanting to have, anything else you want to have a moan about, or you going to be stuck on this book thing for another week?

Are you Adrian Durham by any chance? This all sounds like the type of shit talksport or sky would come up with. So let me get this straight you think Poch may have lost the dressing room because of this book, which really doesn't say much about the current squad other than an incident with mourinho and dier. This book which we have known was coming out for ages, so I'm 100% certain the players did and will have known exactly what was being said. Your silly conspiracy theory has no legs, so there's your 'discussion' you've been wanting to have, anything else you want to have a moan about, or you going to be stuck on this book thing for another week?

Ok there is nothing to it, there is no scope for such a thing having an adverse effect. The whole thing was absolutely necessary, the downturn in form definitely could never have anything to do it. There is nothing to see here , it’s a media agenda #thefutureisbrightthefutureisliliywhite.

Yes I think he would have given that he is one of the most decorated managers in the game and we would largely have the same personnel as we do now. I suspect we may have actually have won silverware as well.

As for Pochettinho, we’ll call me cynical but I see how the modern game works, where we stand in this and how virtually all professionals want to work at the highest level. Poch made those statements but it was only last year where he stated that it was his dream to return to PSG. Do you honestly think he would turn down that squad and those resources to stay with us? I don’t think so somehow.
Ancelotti has a reputation for never rotating or giving youth talent a chance, it's what cost him the Spanish title in 14/15 and ultimately his job. He's an incredible manager, of course, but he hasn't really shown a willingness to give opportunities to backups/youth the way Poch has.

Back
Top Bottom