Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You are right Sammy, you’ve convinced me. The guy isn’t nothing but a poundland Tim Sherwood, and Sherwood captained a title winning side, what has Dele ever won? He’s been shit all season and there’s no denying it

Your failure knows no bounds

Heres what I said two weeks ago when someone asked if I thought he was poor against Madrid

No he was excellent as he was against Liverpool.

Struggling to think of another game where he's hit those standards though this season.
Those two games are his level. He's not going to hit that level every week, but should be more often than twice in 15 odd games.

You can keep trying to shoehorn my opinion into something its not, but that simply implies that you need something else to argue against.
People have taken exception to the fact I called Dele's form out early in the season, and now, instead of throwing his assists and goals in my face to say he has been playing well, the tactic has changed to "Sammy thinks Dele is shit".

You are pretending you dont see the difference between me saying he has been poor bar two games, and me saying hes a shit footballer.
You are pretending that you dont know what my views are and trying to re write them, because you went in too hard about my critique right from the off. Now for many its difficult to say Dele is not playing as well as he was last season.....ie, off form. Because that means it wouldnt be unreasonable to play Lamela or Son in his place.

But when you call someone an agenda driven cunt for saying just that, it leaves you no room to change your stance. So then you have to lie about what you are disagreeing with. My views are all here in the Dele thread, and the player I want to see is the Dele of the last two seasons.

So if that means to people that I said Dele is shit, then it actually says everything about them and the way they approach differing views.

The thing is, take this forum out of the equation and ask yourself if you would rather have seen Dele perform the way he did last season in more than two games.
Dont worry about pleasing other posters......just you and your own thoughts. You and I both know that every single person here would rather see Dele play like he did against Madrid, or Chelsea at WHL last Christmas every week, and every person here knows he hasnt, and is way off.

You can type whatever you want, but you all know it, so I have no idea why the levels of denial are so high......people denying hes been poor, while chucking TWO of 18 games in my face to prove he hasnt. Two games which I have acknowledged as his normal form.

Last edited:
Oh and heres what Poch said a whole 6 weeks ago:

"I think he needs to enjoy playing football. He will show his character and personality like he did against Manchester United. I think he is calm. He feels [it] too, because he is disappointed with himself that he's not at his best but it's coming"

So.....Poch and Dele himself know he isnt at his best then. Poch clearly stating that Dele is disappointed with his form. Oh dear oh dear, how some of you look a bit silly now. How unsurprising those comments got swept under the carpet...

:kanehand:

Last edited:
If that’s

Heres what I said two weeks ago when someone asked if I thought he was poor against Madrid

You can keep trying to shoehorn my opinion into something its not, but that simply implies that you need something else to argue against.
People have taken exception to the fact I called Dele's form out early in the season, and now, instead of throwing his assists and goals in my face to say he has been playing well, the tactic has changed to "Sammy thinks Dele is shit".

You are pretending you dont see the difference between me saying he has been poor bar two games, and me saying hes a shit footballer.
You are pretending that you dont know what my views are and trying to re write them, because you went in too hard about my critique right from the off. Now for many its difficult to say Dele is not playing as well as he was last season.....ie, off form. Because that means it wouldnt be unreasonable to play Lamela or Son in his place.

But when you call someone an agenda driven cunt for saying just that, it leaves you no room to change your stance. So then you have to lie about what you are disagreeing with. My views are all here in the Dele thread, and the player I want to see is the Dele of the last two seasons.

So if that means to people that I said Dele is shit, then it actually says everything about them and the way they approach differing views.

The thing is, take this forum out of the equation and ask yourself if you would rather have seen Dele perform the way he did last season in more than two games.
Dont worry about pleasing other posters......just you and your own thoughts. You and I both know that every single person here would rather see Dele play like he did against Madrid, or Chelsea at WHL last Christmas every week, and every person here knows he hasnt, and is way off.

You can type whatever you want, but you all know it, so I have no idea why the levels of denial are so high......people denying hes been poor, while chucking TWO of 18 games in my face to prove he hasnt. Two games which I have acknowledged as his normal form.
No Sammy, I’m mocking your views because you’re beyond reason (and , in all honesty, because I had a few too many shandys last night and was looking for a row) However, my point to you from the off was that Poch knows how to manage players and when they need backing, and when they need dropping. You think you know better than he does. Take Dele out of the equation, this is what I have issues with. Not whether he is or isn’t in form, but whether or not he should be dropped. Personally I’d love to see Sonny and Lamela get some game time behind Harry. But if Poch thinks otherwise, I’m not going to throw a temper tantrum about it.

No Sammy, I’m mocking your views because you’re beyond reason (and , in all honesty, because I had a few too many shandys last night and was looking for a row) However, my point to you from the off was that Poch knows how to manage players and when they need backing, and when they need dropping. You think you know better than he does. Take Dele out of the equation, this is what I have issues with. Not whether he is or isn’t in form, but whether or not he should be dropped. Personally I’d love to see Sonny and Lamela get some game time behind Harry. But if Poch thinks otherwise, I’m not going to throw a temper tantrum about it.

What an embarrassing, babbling U Turn

Mate everyone knows he hasn't been at his best every game this season, but those 2 games you've mentioned have been literally his very best games for the club. Last season he wasn't at that level week in week out either if your expecting that from him your obviously going to be disappointed. For me the only games where he has been truly poor from start to finish was Leicester, west brom and woolwich, I think he's also had more good performances than the 2 everyone keeps sighting like the away games against newcastle,everton and huddersfield. I thought he showed a lot of fight for the cause yesterday in that second half aswell. Take back what I said about you having an agenda about Dele but I feel you have been unfairly critical at times.

Mate everyone knows he hasn't been at his best every game this season, but those 2 games you've mentioned have been literally his very best games for the club. Last season he wasn't at that level week in week out either if your expecting that from him your obviously going to be disappointed. For me the only games where he has been truly poor from start to finish was Leicester, west brom and woolwich, I think he's also had more good performances than the 2 everyone keeps sighting like the away games against newcastle,everton and huddersfield. I thought he showed a lot of fight for the cause yesterday in that second half aswell. Take back what I said about you having an agenda about Dele but I feel you have been unfairly critical at times.

Fair enough, and thanks.
I remember my strongest critique was early on, but I also acknowledged he was much better against West Ham (league game) and Huddersfield at the time. All I want is to see Dele smiling on the pitch and get his confidence back up.
Its worrying when Poch says, "he needs to start enjoying football" as that only means that right now he isnt, and it shows.

I questioned whether he is mature enough to develop his game because the danger is there that he is being found out. Not as a bad player, but as someone who is very easily shut out of the game if you frustrate him enough.
I dont feel the same confidence I do when Kane hits a dry spell to keep plugging away and so far he has let the opposition close him out and then he just plays for the free kicks.

Maybe my critique has been harsh, but I expect more from top players and it drives me nuts (even more so Eriksen) to see our supposedly most valuable and influential creative assets taking the easy pointless pass and bottling challenges every week.

For me, every single player is fair game. I dont care if its Toby, Lloris or Kane. Put the effort in, or I expect them to be dropped. Its no more than that.

He just seems soooooo slow in possession. Its strange.
He doesn't do possession. Never, ever has. Without the ball (when oppo have it) is game is to press, block passing lanes off and track runners, either engaging them in a counter press or if defending deeper to disrupt and generally be a pain in the arse to to the guy on the ball. When we are attacking without the ball he makes runs, numerous runs, runs from deep, runs that take out defender to create space for Kane or Son. You never know if he's coming from deep, or playing the furthest forward.

When receiving the ball he is on the half turn, on the move and allways being marked, now usually by two people. He opens up defences because he try's to play a one or two touch game, all high risk but it's the difference needed to getting behind the oppo's defence and breaking the lines. He is trusted by his team mates, as they leave him alone to figure out how he's getting out of a two man press, when his flicks don't come off, he usually draws a foul.

For everyone of you who thought he was shit yesterday, I urge each of you to watch it back again in full. DON"T ball watch, just watch Dele and watch what he does. Yesterday he was our best player.
Footballorgin.com

He doesn't do possession. Never, ever has. Without the ball (when oppo have it) is game is to press, block passing lanes off and track runners, either engaging them in a counter press or if defending deeper to disrupt and generally be a pain in the arse to to the guy on the ball. When we are attacking without the ball he makes runs, numerous runs, runs from deep, runs that take out defender to create space for Kane or Son. You never know if he's coming from deep, or playing the furthest forward.

When receiving the ball he is on the half turn, on the move and allways being marked, now usually by two people. He opens up defences because he try's to play a one or two touch game, all high risk but it's the difference needed to getting behind the oppo's defence and breaking the lines. He is trusted by his team mates, as they leave him alone to figure out how he's getting out of a two man press, when his flicks don't come off, he usually draws a foul.

For everyone of you who thought he was shit yesterday, I urge each of you to watch it back again in full. DON"T ball watch, just watch Dele and watch what he does. Yesterday he was our best player.
Footballorgin.com

I get what your saying but Deles best asset is not as some kind of ghost runner so others can play. I think the point Totti made is about when he does have the ball, he is too slow to make a decision with it, and is getting easily muscled off the ball this season. Primarily down to his indecision.

What the video I posted a few pages back. Head down and steaming through two or three players, time after time.

His game might not be possession based, but he certainly isnt on the field to act as some kind of decoy for others. Instead of making runs that take out defenders, I preferred it when he was making runs for Eriksen to put passes onto his head in front of goal.
He is less ambitious, and inclined to take the easy pass so while it might be fair to say he is working hard off the ball, he isnt doing enough with it, and at the end of the day, Im afraid thats what he's on the pitch for.

Anyone can run into space and make a defender follow them, but not everyone can do what Dele did last season, and thats exactly what we need from him.

When the flicks arent working, its time to man up, go back to basics and start doing the simple things well.

100% agree he's slow on the ball, specifically this is when we are running at a back 4 carrying the ball, his choices of when to pass and who too can improve enormously in this area, but at just 21yrs old I'm sure he will.

But as I said, he has never been good at this, I've never seen him do much of this kind of work ever. Everything about him is low percentage, because he receives the ball on the move, always under pressure from an oppo player (this season usually two!). Think about how he receives the ball, think back to the goals and his link up he has done the past two seasons and almost all of it is one two touch, this is what he is and he hasn't really played any different to this, even if it's in a position behind Kane, or a more deeper role. He's roll is to break the opponents lines when deep and to create options linking up with Kane, Eriksen and whoever else.

Again I urge you to watch yesterdays game and just follow him not the ball. His movement/runs and pressing is vital to this side. So many runs are made that don't get spotted too, without Toby we've lost the diagonal ball to him from one of his deep runs.

May be another way to look at it is this, how did Fergie let Ronaldo play? I remember watching his first two seasons when he came into the team, he was laughed of the pitch most games. Fergie never once told him to stop doing his flick and stopovers, moreover he encouraged him to do more.

I am no way saying he's found his grove yet, but we are coming up against sides who are just prepared to sit deep and narrow, this makes it even harder for him, but same can be said of for everyone. But above all I see him doing what he did last season, last season he did loads of his flicks and tricks and last season many didn't come off, people were having a pop at the time too. This kid is special and oppo teams are taking him as a special player given the attention to stopping him. Kane also went through a similar period to his game where he was now having to deal with teams doubling up on him. He's going to have to find and learn new ways to get past, or as a team we need to find and exploit the space doubling up on him has created.

For what it's worth (not much) I actually think Alli is shit. Hope I'm proved wrong but I feel he's been worked out. This slump of his has been enormous.

I get he's 21, I am not feeling him in the slightest right now.

Not gonna be popular, but sammy isn't alone in his thinking here. I know plenty of other spurs fans with a similar opinion as ours.

I have a question for anyone who dislikes or doesn't agree with my assertion he is shit - if he was playing for another team, say Liverpool, and there was all this hype around him, and he was playing like he was now, would you hold the same opinion of him as you do now? Please be objective.

For what it's worth (not much) I actually think Alli is shit. Hope I'm proved wrong but I feel he's been worked out. This slump of his has been enormous.

Not gonna be popular, but sammy isn't alone in his thinking here. I know plenty of other spurs fans with a similar opinion as ours.

I have a question for anyone who dislikes or doesn't agree with my assertion he is shit - if he was playing for another team, say Liverpool, and there was all this hype around him, and he was playing like he was now, would you hold the same opinion of him as you do now? Please be objective.
He's not shit but he is nowhere near a £150m player... Players such as Coutinho are much more "valuable" than dele imo, if you saw Coutinho's performance yesterday vs Brighton he absolutely ran the show from defence to attack and has true world class ability, whereas I think dele will fall short of that and be a very very good but not "world class" player..

Quite an apt user name... As that is a well and truly vexing post.

You think Dele is "shit"?

Fuck me sideways.

Off form? - I'd agree.
Full of his own bathwater? - absolutely
Shit?- fucking spare me.

I would think any young player who smashed the goal scoring records of Lampard, Gerrard & Scholes etc at their age, and whose goal and assist output was world class last season, following a strong debut season is the real deal and nailed on to be a quality player.

He's not shit but he is nowhere near a £150m player... Players such as Coutinho are much more "valuable" than dele imo, if you saw Coutinho's performance yesterday vs Brighton he absolutely ran the show from defence to attack and has true world class ability, whereas I think dele will fall short of that and be a very very good but not "world class" player..

Many of Dele's goals have been world class. Volleys Coutinho could not dream about.

I've always wondered why we didn't buy Coutinho. We saw first hand how good he was when we played Inter.

I would think any young player who smashed the goal scoring records of Lampard, Gerrard & Scholes etc at their age, and whose goal and assist output was world class last season, following a strong debut season is the real deal and nailed on to be a quality player.
That's where the Coutinho comparisons fall apart. They can say what they will, but Dele is still just 21 - Coutinho is 25. Coutinho had short spells at Espanyol on loan and Inter before Liverpool. Dele went from Dons to Spurs and has played about half as many matches for his club.

Just a few seasons ago Coutinho was considered a nice bit of flash that couldn't impact a match consistently enough to be very valuable, and no one was knocking of LFC's door wanting him. Now Liverpool will make him the most valuable footballer not named Neymar if they are to part with him.

For where they are in their respective careers, Dele is miles beyond Coutinho. Of course his form is patchy, he's 21.

I don't think he's shit, but I am seriously concerned about his commitment to improve and work harder at this club

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom