West Ham - League cup game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's the point that winning a cup competition with this group of players is needed. REGARDLESS of the cup. I think you underestimate the power of winning a trophy and what it can do to a talented group of players. No one in our team has won a trophy with us. 3/4s of the team haven't even won a trophy.

It's a catalyst for future success. The hunger to walk up them Wembley stairs more and more after feeling it for the first time. Will the League Cup keep our players? No. Will winning the league keep our players? No. But it will push us on to a different level, any trophy would.

Like people have said, it's not so much that we lost. It was the manner. Lethargic in our play in that second half, outfought by fucking West Ham. 2-0 up. Embarrassing.
Woolwich have won the FA Cup 3 times in the last four years and look where they are now.

Disappointing, but hardly heartbreaking. This cup is a bit of a joke these days. Even if we’d won it nobody would have given a fuck. It should be for football league clubs only.

Seriously? What is the fact cup then. A cup is a cup. Simple. When we win this a few times then we can say it's not important. Considering the next game is a qtr final, i was a great opportunity to win something.

If we wern't gonna take it seriously, then go the whole hog amd just play the U-11's

The most worrying thing is that we played an 11 who, all but Foyth had 1st team experience, and all were Internationals!

ARSE made 11 changes last night.. and spunked a win by bringing on some kid (much to the glee of the press) who was born after Wenger took charge... and is probably ripe for the plucking from the wizened paedophilic one... poor cunt!

Yet we put out a team who could ALL have made our first team... and THAT happens!

Mind boggling as it was dissapointing!

Judging by the comments you've made in this thread, you're not really a fan. You apparently wouldn't be bothered if we won the league cup, what a fan you are
I couldn’t give a fuck about this cup. Nobody else does, why should I? Poch certainly doesn’t. I was one of 5000 who went to Forest mid-week in the 00’s in sub-zero temperatures when it still meant something, but now I’m being lectured by a 21 year old who melts at the first bump in the road. Furball is right - you are an extremely spoilt person. Spurs don’t owe you happiness.

Didn't really do any of the above in 99 or 08. It won't convince any players to stay, or convince them that they can go on and win important things if we win the LC and fuck up the league and CL again.

I respect that there was a time the LC wasn't *so* shit (let's be honest, it was created as a second rate competition from the very start), but it's now well and truly pointless. Pays nothing and no one in the footballing world cares. An extended version of the charity shield.

You can't compare our bunch of no-hopers in '99 or a squad managed by Juande Ramos in '08 to what we have now. We have a project right now that needs trophies to take the players and our manager to a whole new level. Who is talking about convincing our players to stay? Players leave clubs regardless of trophies. If a player leaves, we replace them. Why does winning the league cup correlate to fucking up in the league and Champions League?

Thanks for the tribute and the glowing reference. Now go and jump outside with glee because we lost.
Who is jumping for glee you tart?
Of the 4 trophies available to us, this is the one most of us couldn’t give a fuck about really.
Losing to that lot is worse than being knocked out of a trophy that has lost all credibility since it sold itself out to a Thai energy drink manufacturer. It’s one up from the Johnstones paints debacle.
There will be plenty of good days this season. This isn’t one of them, but we weren’t ever going to win a quadruple.

You have to win so that you hate losing.

This. End of.

I’m the worst loser I know, but I have never apologised for it because if you’re not out there to win why are you there?? To take part and enjoy it? That’s for kids.

Poch has a chance to really get into these players heads now.
That second half performance is so far from acceptable it’s almost like going back to Spurs of old.

Who raised their game tonight and really ran the show against a second string West Ham side. It’s embarrassing to say no-one.

There will be a few old heads in the home dressing room at United talking about soft Spurs on Saturday.
We need to make a statement up there.

The League cup only matters if we don’t win it. If we win it, then it’s a second rate competition. It’s a lose-lose for a team in our position in the modern era in terms of building a sustainable, winning club that challenges for the league and in Europe.

Yes, be upset about the poor effort but don’t kid yourself into thinking anyone would have cared if we won it. “Spurs have found their level” and all that.

And yes, I’d still like to have won the damn thing.
Odd that Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsen*l don't see it that way

Do you honestly think that one bad half of football negates everything else leading up to this point?

Yes I do believe it could really affect us.
It is the way in which you lose in whatever competition tbat can sometimes do more damage that might at first seem apparent.

A club like ours wirh aspirations cannot lose games like that.

It should not happen because when it does it says small club.

How many games had we been unbeaten in up until tonight?

We were very nearly at the point of being taken seriously. Now gone.

Last edited:
Seriously? What is the fact cup then. A cup is a cup. Simple. When we win this a few times then we can say it's not important. Considering the next game is a qtr final, i was a great opportunity to win something.

Look at the reality of cup competitions these days. Woolwich have won 3 out of the last 4 FA cups, but everyone laughs at them. PL and CL are where it’s at whether you like it or not.

A cup is a cup simple? Lay off the morphene for fuck sake.

Back
Top Bottom