Apoel Nicosia v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So Scott and John spend all summer spouting the impending doom of our season ahead, how shit we are in Europe and how that must be addressed. It is addressed and they are nowhere to be seen to congratulate the squad.

This is why melters are wankers.

I am beyond excited to get a fully fit squad back. Imagine Rose and Lamela bolstering this squads depth.

With the youngsters all getting exposure too, things are getting very exciting. I still haven't forgiven Rose yet, but hopefully he comes back with a chip on his shoulder to prove himself, because Ben Davies has been impeccable this season.

Their ground must be on some slope the way the ball curves off to the side.

I was sure it was going in the middle of the goal, bet everyone else was

Not sure. Lloris kicked it with so much force it seems to return with lot of spin or hit a lump or twoforcing it wide.
I bet Lloris thought it was going in, got away with it.
:llorishowudoin:

Yes i'm starting to feel the same. My old man has moaned about his distribution and 'messing about' for a while and i've always said he is fine but i'm starting to see it becoming a problem. I get quiet nervous when there is a pass back.

I'm not sure how they can overcome this?

In training do they ever put keepers as outfield players to improve their control and passing?

Never thought the words would come out of my mouth but in certain situations he is an absolute liability....I think we should be using Vorm for both domestic cups this season, and that means the distance. None of this dropping him for Lloris if we reach the semis nonsense.

Not sure. Lloris kicked it with so much force it seems to return with lot of spin or hit a lump or twoforcing it wide.
I bet Lloris thought it was going in, got away with it.
:llorishowudoin:
I wasn't really being serious, although you never know...

soccer_field_on_a_hill2.jpg

Never thought the words would come out of my mouth but in certain situations he is an absolute liability....I think we should be using Vorm for both domestic cups this season, and that means the distance. None of this dropping him for Lloris if we reach the semis nonsense.
No way. His kicking is shite, granted. But he's superior to Vorm in every other respect. Vorm is great to have around and doesn't moan but if we're in a semi final against Chelsea again, Hugo plays.

Perhaps the advantage of Vorm in domestic cups is giving Hugo time to work on his kicking and control without compromising his other training. I rate him but I guess as the rest of the squad improves, players who were once the shining light tend to not shine so bright.

Fuck me that sounds depressing... I'm not wanting to get on his back as he has saved us countless times but his mistakes are generally more costly than anyone else's on the pitch.

Perhaps the advantage of Vorm in domestic cups is giving Hugo time to work on his kicking and control without compromising his other training. I rate him but I guess as the rest of the squad improves, players who were once the shining light tend to not shine so bright.

Fuck me that sounds depressing... I'm not wanting to get on his back as he has saved us countless times but his mistakes are generally more costly than anyone else's on the pitch.
The life of a goalkeeper. They make one mistake in a whole game and they are vilified and ridiculed. A player can misplace 10 passes in a game and it may never even get a mention. Poor bastards.

It doesn't overshadow the rest of his attributes though. He's just bad at kicking. Same way Son can't tackle. It doesn't neutralise the rest of his makeup.

Without going on a witch-hunt it's the nature of the beast, Son can close down and get his body in the way, he doesn't have to upend every player. Lloris does have to control, kick and pass under pressure. He is the last line of defence and the way we build from the back requires this. I hear what you're saying about one mistake but there are normally a few dodgy moments in each game so it's not fixating on one single event.

I believe great keepers are judged on their consistency and lack of errors more than awesome saves. For me Seaman was never a flashy keeper but in his very long peak he was very steady. Look a Calamity James, on his day incredible but too many fuck ups, like Bosnich meant he was never that highly rated.

Hugo made a huge howler last night and got away with it but also did a few pretty good saves. Realistically there is no better goalkeeper currently playing we could replace him with.

We're living in a world where Joe fucking Hart is somehow still England's first choice goalkeeper. We should count ourselves lucky.

Back
Top Bottom