Apoel Nicosia v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

stop melting, he needs to improve this very big part of his game. We played a mediocre team last night, sure they were CL but all old boys where the combined cost of the team was something like £3m. If this had been against a proper team we would have come unstuck.

Kane losing a ball or someone higher up the pitch is statically less likely to result in losing a goal - surely you can see that?

Why is giving Vorm playing time such a bad thing? Especially if it gives Hugo time to work on his other skills.

He needs a few 5-a-side sessions as an outfield player – would do him a world of good ;)
Last nights game-was job done-regardless of performance individually or as a team-you move on.

We are now in a position where we can seriously challenge for qualification-I cant understand why anyone would choose to question a players ability at this stage. Its not what we've done, its what we can do?

Agree with this, but he really does need to work at it. You're never too late too learn & whilst a kick into touch for a throw in hasn't lost us many games, I do wonder if sustaining rather than surrendering possession with some pinpoint passing may have seen us create a few more goals. It looks sloppy & it's frustrating to see a keeper of his standing do that. With all the impressive things he does, & the number of times he's saved us in games, I can't believe I'm even suggesting anything less than glowing about our captain. But it is something he can work on to improve upon.
I also get really annoyed when he opts to hold onto the ball and then invites pressure and loses it anyway.

Why is he so against losing possession via a throw in that he constantly risks losing possession by being tackled in the box??

Priorities ffs

I also get really annoyed when he opts to hold onto the ball and then invites pressure and loses it anyway.

Why is he so against losing possession via a throw in that he constantly risks losing possession by being tackled in the box??

Priorities ffs
Maybe it's because he knows his long range distribution is erratic at times, so he tries to keep it short. Or perhaps Poch demands that it is played out from/through the back at all times? Sometimes though, the efficacy of the quick, accurate pass upfield cannot be underestimated.
It can take out a whole bank of the oppo players & put us on the front foot in the blink of an eye.
I wince when I see him slice the ball into touch because he's either dithered about & put himself under pressure, or simply mishit the ball when under no pressure. I agree with SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur that we are lucky to have a goalie of his quality, and he saves us more points than he costs us, so I do feel I'm being overly critical. However, he does possess the brainfart gene at times.

Hope Harry bangs in hat-trick just to shut Carragher and Henry up.
source.gif

Always used to be a tiny part of me that was glad when Hugo made one of his rush-goalie fuck ups. It was a chink in his armour that must have helped deter PSG or similar from making a huge-money move for him.

But we're so much better now, so I'm less scared of losing him to a "bigger" club, and those fuck-ups just annoy the piss out of me.

So you think it's smart to have a back up that doesn't play a game for one or two years, then when Loris picks up an injury or gets a red card, we have to throw in a practical novice
I'd rather cross that bridge when or if we come to it.

Your suggestion is we play with a weaker keeper just in case something happens to our best one?

I believe in rotation for outfield players, as there's a higher strain on their bodies, but I'd always want our best keeper on the pitch.

I'd rather cross that bridge when or if we come to it.

Your suggestion is we play with a weaker keeper just in case something happens to our best one?

I believe in rotation for outfield players, as there's a higher strain on their bodies, but I'd always want our best keeper on the pitch.

No my suggestion is play Vorm in the domestic cups (which we do), only dont drop him if we reach the semis. He should play the whole competition.

Not sure that counts as rotating the keepers, or where you have got that from anything Ive said.

As for weaker keeper, well that depends doesnt it. Vorm smashes Lloris out of the park with distribution and stability in possession...so...

It really amazes me that players like Sanchez are not given any leeway by commentators.
It's his first season in PL.
He's young.
Had one season experience in Europe and the Dutch league.
Is now playing regularly for Spurs at the heart of the defence and they expect him to be accomplished
He's a kid and still learning

Stones fucks up all the time, gets away with it.
What's the difference except stones has had so much more experience?

You also have players like Winks who rarely put a foot wrong and nothing's said.

It annoys them that we are doing well despite losing the transfer window

Last nights game-was job done-regardless of performance individually or as a team-you move on.

We are now in a position where we can seriously challenge for qualification-I cant understand why anyone would choose to question a players ability at this stage. Its not what we've done, its what we can do?

Yes but it's a forum where we discuss the good and bad points in each game. You can bet your bottom dollar Poch and the team are doing the same – it's not all Wine and steaks. It's very much about what you've done and how you did it in order to improve for your next game.

We had a good result there is no denying but we don't have to pretend it was flawless. We constantly discuss the attributes of players, good and bad. Lloris made some cracking saves but looked dodgy at times under pressure. Just an observation...

Yes but it's a forum where we discuss the good and bad points in each game. You can bet your bottom dollar Poch and the team are doing the same – it's not all Wine and steaks. It's very much about what you've done and how you did it in order to improve for your next game.

We had a good result there is no denying but we don't have to pretend it was flawless. We constantly discuss the attributes of players, good and bad. Lloris made some cracking saves but looked dodgy at times under pressure. Just an observation...
of course coach and the players will go over the evenings game but I don't feel that we need to scrutinise every little action .overall it was a decent performance and a brilliant result and we are where we need to be in a position to qualify from this group . There will be perfect performances from players and those performances will be against the better teams Lloris will know he got away with it last night and I'm sure, will try to make sure it doesn't happen again . Taking him out of the equation is not the way forward. The way forward is looking to playing Madrid and putting on a big performance good enough to qualify from this group. Personally I can't be doing with scrutinising players on every move and kick .

Last edited:
Can't really see us coming away with a win in Germany or Spain. Dortmund looked good today even with a loss. If we could snatch a point at either of these fixtures, or against RM at Wembley we'd be sitting pretty for second in the group.

Agreed - which is why it was vital that we get maximum points from these first 2 fixtures.

i really think we need to be at least a point ahead of dortmund after match day 4 to have any hope of qualifying for the knock out stage...probably an obvious thing to say, but we have done all we can do now

Back
Top Bottom