And so....the Carabao Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh we have won so much in recent years that we can diss this cup! Whilst we should not play a full strength team at this stage against non premiership opposition we should want to get through. Opportunity for the likes of Sissoko, Janssen etc but not some unknown just to make numbers up. Biggest problem with this cup is the final comes just after the Europa cup match on the Thursday and unless we can qualify for CL, will be in that round again. You then have to choose between the competitions or try and do both and fail. Most winners of this competition are the top 6.
The whole point of strengthening the squad was to allow us to compete in all competitions without overplaying our star players.

In all honesty we really do need to finish this season with a piece of silverware.

I think if we finish 2nd or 3rd and win an FA Cup in our year away from Wembley it's a great year. A minimum requirement for a squad like ours now is 4th and the League Cup, hence its importance.

A title push would be great but Silverware and Champions league with further experience and progression in our ranks as we move into the new stadium is the most important thing in a transitional year.

Ideal scenario would be great Champions league run and a title win, which isn't out of our reach but a cup and Champions league will ensure we don't go backwards so I'd take that right now.

Surprised to see the LC love in, considering for years the majority of supporters have loathed the EL....surely the Europa is more glamorous and prestigious (and coming with the benefit of CL qualification to boot) than the FA Cup's bastard cousin?

Not saying people should hate the LC, just seems inconsistent to want to take a run at the LC and bin off the EL.

League cup starting team for me, each game depending on injuries, suspensions and form etc

4-4-2
Vorm
Walker-Peters
Foyth
Dier
Davies
Winks
Oakley-Booth
Sissoko
Edwards
Harrison
Janssen

No GKN, I think he really needs to knuckle down on the training pitch more than get games at the moment. Just an honest observation whenever I've seen him. He needs some tough love

I think you have to start GKN he honestly looked promising in pre season if you ask me, and there aren't many opportunities we will get to experiment. So he is a nailed on starter for me.

GKN should be a given starter for us in this tournament. He looked to have improved a fair bit and looked hungry in pre season. I would have bene surprised had he not gotten game time at the start of the season if it wasn't for the injury.

I'd start as follows:
Vorm
Trippier
Dier
Foyth
KWP
Winks
O-B/Dembele
Sissoko
Edwards
GKN
Janssen

GKN should be a given starter for us in this tournament. He looked to have improved a fair bit and looked hungry in pre season. I would have bene surprised had he not gotten game time at the start of the season if it wasn't for the injury.

I'd start as follows:
Vorm
Trippier
Dier
Foyth
KWP
Winks
O-B/Dembele
Sissoko
Edwards
GKN
Janssen

Only difference I would make is I would have llorente up top, give Jansen a run second half. I can see trippier and llorente combining brilliantly.

Only difference I would make is I would have llorente up top, give Jansen a run second half. I can see trippier and llorente combining brilliantly.
I'd be open to testing out Llorente and Janssen as a duo as well depending on how the game goes. Having an experienced senior partner next to him could be beneficial for him. If setting up that way I guess I would sacrifice Edwards since Sissoko can do his job on the flank as well, or Booth perhaps.

So I'd probably start as in my previous post but be willing to switch to two at the front in the second half.

I think it is important to give Janssen as much game time in the cups as possible with our 3 striker lineup

Surprised to see the LC love in, considering for years the majority of supporters have loathed the EL....surely the Europa is more glamorous and prestigious (and coming with the benefit of CL qualification to boot) than the FA Cup's bastard cousin?

Not saying people should hate the LC, just seems inconsistent to want to take a run at the LC and bin off the EL.
I like them both to be honest. I think the problem with the EL though is that you only qualify if you perform below expectations in the league or if you perform below expectations in the Champions League. We're in the League Cup automatically so we might as well make a go at it and enjoy the experience

Oh we have won so much in recent years that we can diss this cup! Whilst we should not play a full strength team at this stage against non premiership opposition we should want to get through. Opportunity for the likes of Sissoko, Janssen etc but not some unknown just to make numbers up. Biggest problem with this cup is the final comes just after the Europa cup match on the Thursday and unless we can qualify for CL, will be in that round again. You then have to choose between the competitions or try and do both and fail. Most winners of this competition are the top 6.
The whole point of strengthening the squad was to allow us to compete in all competitions without overplaying our star players.
I remember when Woolwich beat us in the semi final of this competition (when Mido equalised with a header but then they beat us in ET, at their place) I got into an argument with a gooner outside their ground, he was saying "we don't care about the league cup, we're above all that, only the CL and the league matter" etc. And I thought, and told him, he was a right arrogant cunt.

I don't want us to have the same attitude now we are a better side. Yes we have to rest players for this game, but not because we don't care about the competition, just because we care more- at this stage- about other competitions.

The idea that most supporters want to "bin off the EL" is a myth, the vast majority I've spoken to and read on here would love to win it. The main reason it gets moaned about is that there are 15 games between the group stage (where some will be against unglamorous minnows) and winning the final, including possibly matches against unfair CL drop outs. Whereas we can win the League Cup in 6 matches.

Back
Top Bottom