And so....the Carabao Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The idea that most supporters want to "bin off the EL" is a myth, the vast majority I've spoken to and read on here would love to win it. The main reason it gets moaned about is that there are 15 games between the group stage (where some will be against unglamorous minnows) and winning the final, including possibly matches against unfair CL drop outs. Whereas we can win the League Cup in 6 matches.
I can understand the EL takes more matches to win, but it's also more valuable in terms of financial reward throughout, increased UEFA coefficient for future benefit, and ultimate reward of CL qualification. More matches but a much more beneficial competition.

I'm not saying you can't want to win the LC, just that it doesn't make sense to support a cup run for the LC and not the EL. And honestly I'd be overjoyed with an LC win - wanted to win it last year. It's just the new sponsorship is embarrassing and makes it seem poxy...

I can understand the EL takes more matches to win, but it's also more valuable in terms of financial reward throughout, increased UEFA coefficient for future benefit, and ultimate reward of CL qualification. More matches but a much more beneficial competition.

I'm not saying you can't want to win the LC, just that it doesn't make sense to support a cup run for the LC and not the EL. And honestly I'd be overjoyed with an LC win - wanted to win it last year. It's just the new sponsorship is embarrassing and makes it seem poxy...
It should have at least been named the Carabao English League Cup instead of just the Carabao Cup. Like the FA cup is the Emirates FA Cup.

It should have at least been named the Carabao English League Cup instead of just the Carabao Cup. Like the FA cup is the Emirates FA Cup.

Completely dropping the League Cup aspect of the name not only degrades an already floundering cup but clearly shows Footballs soul is well and truly ripped out. They've turned the beautiful game into a business like so many art forms have been in the past. Music, Film, all of them have succumbed to the coin.

The Carabao Cup, what a joke

This cup has, since sponsorship, always been known only by the sponsor.
Milk Cup
Rumbelows Cup
Coca-Cola Cup
Carling Cup
Worthington Cup
etc

So no change in that regard.

Could be our best chance of a trophy this season. I won't be upset if we win it.

Absolute minimum target this season should be top 4 and a trophy. Anything else I'll see as a real failure.

A decent season will be top 3 the FA Cup and getting past the group stages of the Champions League. Our team should strive for this as a reasonable target for the season but ultimately should be setting their goal at winning the Premier League and pushing the Champions league all the way (if Porto did it we should never undersell ourselves. Got to think big if you want to be big)

We need to challenge for every trophy this year as silverware and a top 4 finish is a must, no excuses this time around it's a decade since our team last lifted something.

Why does the target for the league need to be top four? Why can't the target be to win the league?

I understand Park Lane Mark Twain Park Lane Mark Twain what you're saying about "minimum target" however, shouldn't the aim always be to be the best?

I agree that our target should be to win the League and to win the Champions League but I also feel that this is the same target for 4 other Premier League clubs and that it's absolutely imperative that we win something this season. For those reasons we need to compete in the Premier League, Champions League (as mentioned if Porto can win it we should think bigger than just qualifying from the group), the FA Cup and the League Cup (albeit with a less stronger team than our original first choice XI)

4 trophies to compete in, we need to ensure our name is on one of them at a bare minimum and for those reasons should compete for all of them by fielding a team that is genuinely able to win every game it plays in.

The point I was trying to make is anything less than top 4 and the League Cup is disastrous. They need to become winners now

Last edited:
Completely dropping the League Cup aspect of the name not only degrades an already floundering cup but clearly shows Footballs soul is well and truly ripped out. They've turned the beautiful game into a business like so many art forms have been in the past. Music, Film, all of them have succumbed to the coin.

The Carabao Cup, what a joke
Did this not already happen circa 1990 when the cup was named after a failing electricals retailer? As others have said, sponsorship is nothing new. Not even the foreign part- It was the Coca Cola cup in the 90s.

Not sure how familiar you are with the League Cup's history, but it's always had sponsors, many of them very tacky. Rumbelows (pay-in-installments electricals) Carling (piss beer), Capital One (credit cards),

Did this not already happen circa 1990 when the cup was named after a failing electricals retailer? As others have said, sponsorship is nothing new. Not even the foreign part- It was the Coca Cola cup in the 90s.

Very true, I was having moan about something that didn't really need a moan based on its past goings on, fair enough.

I still think holding the draw in China doesn't do its credibility any favours though

Very true, I was having moan about something that didn't really need a moan based on its past goings on, fair enough.

I still think holding the draw in China doesn't do its credibility any favours though
Yeah that was bizarre I agree.
I'd also prefer the whole game to.be less commercial.

At least our shirts aren't like those in the Brazilian league, where 8 different sponsors per shirt is common!

I know it's nothing new
But they really need to change the format of this comp
To distinguish it further from the FAC
I think U21s would be ace
And none of this registration crap; as soon as you turn 21, you're no longer eligible
So if you bag 5 in the semi and hit 21, yup, you're out the final

I know it's nothing new
But they really need to change the format of this comp
To distinguish it further from the FAC
I think U21s would be ace
And none of this registration crap; as soon as you turn 21, you're no longer eligible
So if you bag 5 in the semi and hit 21, yup, you're out the final
No no no!!!! Way to devalue further the only silverware we've won in 25 years!

I've been waiting patiently for The D Cup.

Still no joy. :avbmad:
Are Double Diamond still brewing?? They could always chip in....

Not forgetting it was just named after MILK for about 5 years!

Who's going out of interest?

I don't miss many home games but not sure about this yet. Dortmund, Swansea, then this is 3 'home' games in less than a week...!

Back
Top Bottom