Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't take anything out of context. It was an interview, not a one-off statement. Did you read the whole interview? Our points aren't mutually exclusive. He believes that the current price being paid for premiere league
players is too high and that the rate of spending is unsustainable.

I actually agree with him on the first point, but not the second point. Teams like Chelsea, City, and PSG don't play be the same economic rules. If a team owner has a revenue stream that can sustain continued losses, and he has no issue with taking them, the spending is sustainable. FFP doesn't have the teeth to stop it.

The point is that no owner has this financial willingness over time. It as having a mistress asking for new diamonds to keep up. At one point the diamonds won't make it but for sure it was fun as long as it lasted..

I didn't take anything out of context. It was an interview, not a one-off statement. Did you read the whole interview? Our points aren't mutually exclusive. He believes that the current price being paid for premiere league players is too high and that the rate of spending is unsustainable.

I actually agree with him on the first point, but not the second point. Teams like Chelsea, City, and PSG don't play be the same economic rules. If a team owner has a revenue stream that can sustain continued losses, and he has no issue with taking them, the spending is sustainable. FFP doesn't have the teeth to stop it.

There has to be a consencus that FFP has a very little effect. This should pave the way for new and more reasonable restrictions as for example wage caps, drafts and so on. This would make the league more competitive

Its interesting that in both cases the origins of Chav's and City's monies have been from the looting of State enterprises and mineral wealth of their people. Not sure the owners are going to ask for the monies back as their use of the misappropriated/laundered funds are used for self promotion purposes and improving the images of their benefactors/ruling family groups and respective countries.

Values that were created over thousands of years are now beiing consumed in a year. That is sustainability in this wordl..

There's nothing to "get" - you're speaking about made up things as if they're real.

That's the problem with the anti-Levy crowd - there's very little (if any) reality being the crux of the arguments.

"Levy has decided this"
"Levy is gambling that"

I'm guessing there's no evidence behind these statements?
Oh come on. The evidence is there season after season, transfer window after transfer window. It's nothing to do with the anti Levy crowd. He's known throughout the football world for his brinkmanship and hard line approach to player purchases. Often resulting 2nd or 3rd choice gambles. You must be blind not to at least acknowledge this

Oh come on. The evidence is there season after season, transfer window after transfer window. It's nothing to do with the anti Levy crowd. He's known throughout the football world for his brinkmanship and hard line approach to player purchases. Often resulting 2nd or 3rd choice gambles. You must be blind not to at least acknowledge this

Yeah and his poor management has led to us to being a top 4 club, having a new training base the envy of everyone, a youth set up thats now producing some amazing talent, what will be the best stadium in this country and a first team squad thats the envy of everyone, of which the players we signed by your reckoning were only 2nd and 3rd choices.

That Levy bloke is certainly holding us back mate you're right, the tight cunt.

Seems like overkill. Imagine it'd be one or t'other.
we have about 70mil in the bank from this summer sales. Both might cost 90mil. Suppose Poch submitted wish list and Levy trying to nego. Near window closing Levy will panick buy whatever still available. Barkley and Mahrez likely still available. Similar story like Sissoko

needed an impact pacy player, maybe off the bench to make a diff. Besides Son , we lack genuine pace up front. Mahrez is a player with quality and most importantly available. Others are either not available or not quality enough

At the end of the day, Abramovich will have to move on, one way or another.
Someone either inherits Chelsea from him, or someone has to buy it.
With a possible debt of what, 5-10bn depending how long he's there.

Not really worth it I'd say......I don't see how any business man is going to just walk away from that and say "ahh well at least we won the CL before I die"
You have to try to think like a man who has no idea of the value of money

We will buy at a premium - if we sign Barkley, it'll probably be for around £25m. 12 months ago you would have fallen off a stool at the idea that we'd pay that for a player with 10 months left on his contract.

How much would have Barkley worth 12 months ago with 10 months contract?
Was Sissoko good purchase at £30m?

How much would have Barkley worth 12 months ago with 10 months contract?
Was Sissoko good purchase at £30m?

You'd have to look at other examples and suggest it would be in the region of £10m- £15m imo.

The Sissoko one is just too complicated to answer. If he went to Everton and did well, who knows what would have happened. We could have won the league if he was the player we were hoping for.

I feel like you're asking for a retrospective answer, which is a bit of a trick in this context

Yeah and his poor management has led to us to being a top 4 club, having a new training base the envy of everyone, a youth set up thats now producing some amazing talent, what will be the best stadium in this country and a first team squad thats the envy of everyone, of which the players we signed by your reckoning were only 2nd and 3rd choices.

That Levy bloke is certainly holding us back mate you're right, the tight cunt.

Sometimes, you're not so bad.

The Sissoko one is just too complicated to answer. If he went to Everton and did well, who knows what would have happened. We could have won the league if he was the player we were hoping for.

Yes we could have won the league should Sissoko and Janssen were what they were expected.

There has to be a consencus that FFP has a very little effect. This should pave the way for new and more reasonable restrictions as for example wage caps, drafts and so on. This would make the league more competitive
Turkeys voting for Christmas?
They have so much power , financial clout that they can get around anything.
Fifa /Uefa went hand in hand , pandoras box has been opened . There is hope but
vanity will win.
If a shit hole Russia, medieval cultural oil state
host the world cup then we're fucked

Last edited:
Josh Onomah going someone is coming in centre midfield or right wing where Poch seems to fancy him. Thinking his sale means Barkley is done ish. Feel for Onomah a bit, looked and sounded like he was learning from playing and training with Dembele and Wanyama then gets chucked into the depths with Steve Bruce. Saying that I'd play Winks over him at every opportunity but still a bit strange, thought he was ready for premier league albeit somewhere further down the table.

I think £25m or even £30m is good price for Barkley, we have to go with current market prices plus show ambition, we have been 3rd and 2nd in last 2 seasons. Even at these prices we are taking advantage of the short contract he has, otherwise he is worth £50m plus. I won't be surprised if Everton won't sell below £40m, they know who ever buys him gives him 4 year contract can flog him for £50m in January or even more next June.
They just paid £30m for defender Keane who had 12 months contract with Burnley.

Yes we could have won the league should Sissoko and Janssen were what they were expected.

So at the point we signed them, there existed a potential future where they were both bargains, or both expensive.

Is this another one of those straw men things where you're trying to make out that someone has said "we shouldn't buy expensive players" when no one has?
:avbcringe:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom