Spurs vs Kyle Walker's Oil Riggers 29/07/17 23:00BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It may have 'only' been a friendly but the players are obligated to perform EVERY time they pull on the famous white shirt and also they have a duty to the fans that pay to turn up and support them, so the result and performance does matter.
Haven't seen it myself but by the sound of it it was a horror show. Let's just hope they all learn from that and get it right before Newcastle.

You keep saying or implying that the team didn't bother to make an effort or that they should have performed as if it was an important game.

I'm sorry, but it really does read to me like you're saying that the team should always perform (including in a friendly, as if it was an important game, see above), and that they didn't make an effort ("we played as if it had no meaning" (see below, I messed up the multiquoting and editing is hard on phone).

Yes, i'm sure the 1000's that turned out, paid a lot of money and supported the team were delighted that we played as if it had no meaning.

I don't think anyone has (is it has or have after anyone?) been saying that it is no advantage to be able to spend £200m per season and pay £300k per week. What some of us are saying, and Poch realises as well, is that those numbers are unrealistic for us, that we are happy with how our club is run and that we can compete despite a lower budget. Our ability to compete was not disproved yesterday, as no conclusion can be drawn from such a friendly. Our players weren't sharp, we know they are usually better, theirs were sharp. And City's style is cryptonite to our collective Superteam, as seen in the away game last season.

In poch we trust. We showed that we can bring young players through and find bargains in the market but we just need to see players being bought and have some game time. It's just getting too late.

they've looked shit the last two matches i've seen here stateside. glad the "tourney" is over.

56,232 or some such number showed up for yesterday's tilt here in Nashville, TN.

The thing that bothers me is that I get the feeling that we've identified players but are haggling over a couple of million, Foyth being a good example. I also love the idea of academy players coming through but can't help but feel that it's a feeble excuse for being tight arses.

I understand the stadium is being built and need to be prudent but we are so light on numbers bar our first 11 that it leaves me questioning a lot about our approach to adding the finishing touches required.

We need two new first 11 players in a RB and a creative, steady and calm outlet and a couple of shit hot youngsters nipping at the teams heels from the bench. So far, what a let down

I'm sorry, but it really does read to me like you're saying that the team should always perform (including in a friendly, as if it was an important game, see above), and that they didn't make an effort ("we played as if it had no meaning" (see below, I messed up the multiquoting and editing is hard on phone).

Dear oh dear.. I was quoting you by saying "we played as if it had no meaning"...

If you read it, I have already stated that I never saw the game so how would I know how we played?

You said the game had no meaning so I quoted that and pointed out that the game DID have a meaning.

The result don't matter it's more the performance we got destroyed it could have been 5 - 6 half time. You cannot go into a new season wanting to build from last year and not sign a player and Man City are getting like 5 players of very good quality. It's not just Man City improving others are. Yes we got good youngsters but some of those in America will be in the championship probably in a year or so

I'm a bit of a Pollyanna about my beloved Spurs, so I can't help but find some small positives in yesterday's game. It was quite hard to watch - Man Shitty outplayed us comprehensively. Trippier had a horror-show; Mousa barely brushed against the game; and we looked slow and nervy in our extremely rare bouts of possession.

Still, I was really impressed with N'Koudou when he came on. In particular his ball retention and range of passing. I would have liked him to have been a little more direct, but he was a bright spot in an otherwise very ropey performance.

Kane huffed and puffed, and any time he was involved he was doing good things. Winks was reasonably tidy, but also quite peripheral. I was honestly very impressed with GK.

Not sure why people are surprised or concerned.

We start every season slowly. Everyone knows this.

So when we play a friendly people are surprised we look...slow?

Hopefully we can scrape a few wins and remain competitive until October-November. That tends to be when we actually wake up and perform.

Also,

You will never see Tripper, Kane, Alli, Dier, Dembele and Eriksen play that bad in the same game ever again. Every single one of our key players were poor.

That's consolation imo. I'd be more worried if we played quite well and still lost 3-0. Playing shit and losing 3-0 is actually quite heartening.

We all know those players will perform better come the season.

Well just got done watching that shit show.....boy oh boy....let's hope the entire squad was at the lasagna or something cause otherwise I dread to think what's gonna happen to us in that Chelsea game in a couple of weeks. We looked like we weren't in the same league as City. As much I love the idea of improving and getting the most of our existing squad, promoting youth, etc, we definitely need to go and buy some fucking quality players asap.

People should be aware that a friendly isn't a competitive game at all. Why would they put the same effort into a meaningless game as they would an epl shift. It's an opportunity to try out new things, get the body going again and try inexperienced players.

The only thing I take from this game is that after the way he celebrated the first goal I don't want any grief off anyone on this site when I roundly boo the wanker that is kyle walker!

DF-5pLIXcAA1FrO.jpg:large

Not sure why people are surprised or concerned.

We start every season slowly. Everyone knows this.

So when we play a friendly people are surprised we look...slow?

Hopefully we can scrape a few wins and remain competitive until October-November. That tends to be when we actually wake up and perform.
And that's why we lost the league last season

What did you think he would do, burst into tears?
Well after all the soppy shit with his emotional twitter videos etc maybe that would have been expected.
There were people in this forum saying he should not be booed when he plays against us - he showed last night he has no respect or concern for Spurs fans so is fair game for any stick he gets when he plays against us.

Back
Top Bottom