Spurs vs Kyle Walker's Oil Riggers 29/07/17 23:00BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We often struggle against teams that hits us with mobility and high press, and we (unsurprisingly) looked like we had heavy feet. One of the few negatives about Poch's training regime is we start slowly due to excruciating physical training in the summer. We looked shockingly terrible, but it makes sense.

Mobility, high press ... and superior ball control and passing. No matter what stage of fitness you are at when you combine all the elements we'll be chasing the ball all game. Many similarities to our CL defeats against Monaco
and Leverkusen.

I hope the thousands of US yids that turned out enjoyed the occasion at least. Showed what a true giant of a club we are, and not the little underdog some on here want you to believe...Your fantastic support last night is one massive positive to take away from the match.

Last edited:
The Kovacic just scored a cracker. To think we were being linked with singing him a few weeks back just shows how ridiculous 90% of these rumours are.
Why shouldn't we be linked with a player of Kovacic' quality ?

Why is that ridiculous for a cash rich champions league club ?

What a perfect match that must've been for the crybabies here. They were probably watching in glee, thinking they've been proven right as we lost a meaningless friendly in while looking heavy in a period of intense training.

Sober reflection on last night ... god we were shite. We genuinely looked so far off the pace. I know it's pre season etc but Citeh looked miles ahead of us. The thing I've noticed is that when teams press us, we don't cope well (lolerpool x2 last season springs to mind, Spam at their place, plus Monaco & Leverkusen in the CL)
Also, we were pulled apart defensively- mainly due to surrendering the midfield with sloppy passing, being second to the ball every time & leaving acres of space behind the full backs. I honestly felt that they were going to score every time they had the ball in our half, & had they been more ruthless with their finishing it could have been even more humiliating. Hate to say it but 3-0 flattered us.

Poch has a lot of work to do & Levy needs to get the cheque book out. I don't think Trippier has the engine to do what Walker did for us. Danilo ate him alive repeatedly. I trust that we will get it right, but last night was a definite wake up call.

What a perfect match that must've been for the crybabies here. They were probably watching in glee, thinking they've been proven right as we lost a meaningless friendly in while looking heavy in a period of intense training.
Im sure none of us were watching in glee. However, had the result been a comfy 3-0 Spurs win you and others would have been at our fucking throats saying our inactive transfer policy had been vindicated. And dont embarrass yourself by claiming otherwise

Yes, i'm sure the 1000's that turned out, paid a lot of money and supported the team were delighted that we played as if it had no meaning.
There's no need to melt but what a losers mentality.

Didn't watch, but who actually gives a cunt?

I remember watching us turn over Roma at the lane, then thinking we were the bollocks. Redknapp was appointed within a couple of months.

Hope the Yids out there had fun though.

Genuinely concerning performance
giphy.gif

The 2-2 away last season didn't look that different to last night. God knows how we got out of that with a point.
The way we play is the perfect style for City and Liverpool to exploit.
Against those teams we should probably sit deeper and try and hit them, instead of trying to play through them and leave big spaces for them to run in to. Go full Mourinho against them, especially away.

Sober reflection on last night ... god we were shite. We genuinely looked so far off the pace. I know it's pre season etc but Citeh looked miles ahead of us. The thing I've noticed is that when teams press us, we don't cope well (lolerpool x2 last season springs to mind, Spam at their place, plus Monaco & Leverkusen in the CL)
Also, we were pulled apart defensively- mainly due to surrendering the midfield with sloppy passing, being second to the ball every time & leaving acres of space behind the full backs. I honestly felt that they were going to score every time they had the ball in our half, & had they been more ruthless with their finishing it could have been even more humiliating. Hate to say it but 3-0 flattered us.

Poch has a lot of work to do & Levy needs to get the cheque book out. I don't think Trippier has the engine to do what Walker did for us. Danilo ate him alive repeatedly. I trust that we will get it right, but last night was a definite wake up call.

Problably a few things.

1. Even our main players didn't look sharp, not sure if City are ahead of schedule but that will change as our players get upto speed.
2. No issue with KWP who was good and Janssen starting to look more lean.
3. Even with our youth players we sorely lack depth, we have Lamela, Rose, Son out for a bit and Dele suspended in the CL.

Something like this is good for us, a clear warning we need a few extra players in key areas. I still feel the main reason we haven't signed 3-4 players is because of the market and Levy will show his hand when he feels we can afford them which will as always Be at the end of the window.

For me the main areas we need

1 full back who is quick who can cover RB and LB.
2 creative mobile player, Barkley would be a good fit.
3 explosive attacking player particularly now we are playing on a larger pitch at Wembley
4 if Wimmer goes another CB.

Combine that with the kids should be ok.

Im sure none of us were watching in glee. However, had the result been a comfy 3-0 Spurs win you and others would have been at our fucking throats saying our inactive transfer policy had been vindicated. And dont embarrass yourself by claiming otherwise
Jesus, you really can be a dick.
I don't remember anyone saying that we categorically don't need good quality players, but I do remember people saying that if the team plays like we finished last season that we won't be far off the pace, with the players we have.
In half a century of watching spurs I don't ever remember a pre season batch of games that ever told anyone anything of value about the season to come, and yet you and the rest of the fuck awful spurs fans club seem to think that this is proof positive of the end of days.
You and people like you, are so full of your own importance and arrogant assurance of the fact that you are the only people who really, truly "understand" that it is laughable.
Yer noo nuthin' Jonn Thomas
(Most aptly named poster on the board)

Did someone say N'Koudo played ok? If so can we resurrect the Étienne Capoue song? "We're gonna rock down to Georges N'Koudou, he's friends with Eric Dier" apologies to the young uns

One thing to consider for the doom mongers.
In a squad the size and depth of City's, they all have to fight for a starting slot. In our team, the team probably has 8 or 9 players who are pencilled in on pretty much every team sheet, so why would they bust their balls in a meaningless friendly? I'd be gutted if one of our key players over extended themselves pre season and missed a chunk of games.

Keep some perspective

I think it's pretty funny that the same people who are moaning about transfers are the same bunch moaning about last night, because we got hammered Levy now realises he has to get a finger out and sign a few players to help out...if we had won easily he might not have bothered as much...that shit show has actually done them a favour.

I hope the thousands of US yids that turned out enjoyed the occasion at least. Showed what a true giant of a club we are, and not the little underdog some on here want you to believe...Your fantastic support last night is one massive positive to take away from the match.

Honestly the fans were incredible and it grows exponentially every year, The club and the supporters clubs had arranged numerous events while unsurprisingly the vacouos Man City had nothing. This pairs nicely with their quiet clueless fans who couldn't tell you who Niall Quinn or Paul Dickov were, that's the difference between the fanbases here

Back
Top Bottom