Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Question: How does one genuinely measure a player's ceiling....

Bit of a 'myth' really, innit.

Last edited:
Question: How does one genuinely measure a players ceiling....

Bit of a 'myth' really, innit.

I guess the answer is "by being full of shit" really.

Plenty of players are lauded but come to nothing, plenty are lambasted and prove everyone wrong.

I guess the answer is "by being full of shit" really.

Plenty of players are lauded but come to nothing, plenty are lambasted and prove everyone wrong.

Prediction based on perception... Pretty shakey ground.

Prediction based on perception... Pretty shakey ground.
Exactly. Kane was quite unspectacular on loan, released by Woolwich as a kid, whereas Defoe was a class act from the womb. Owen was rated as 'amazing' since a kid, but peaked at 20.

Exactly. Kane was quite unspectacular on loan, released by Woolwich as a kid, whereas Defoe was a class act from the womb. Owen was rated as 'amazing' since a kid, but peaked at 20.
I think it also depends on what their 'game is based on...

When you have promising 'powerhouse Central Midfielders/defenders or strikers as youth players... sometimes you JUST have to be patient until they mature physically, or become cleverer with experience (Kane)... so it might feel as if they are slow starters before they reach their full potential...
I think CCV will eventually become a beast at the back... but - despite the size of him already - he's still growing/developing the strength that will see him through in the long run.

In the case of tricky, nippy creative players like Edwards, his 'no fear' attitude that comes with youth and exuberance is likely to make him seem ready to be integrated in the first team immediately... but we've been stung many times before with similar types of players in the past.

So we REALLY NEED to make sure he's ready first, if he is gonna continue to be the real deal

If he continues too be as good as he looks right now, and well into the future.. then we have ourselves a gem!

But, like so many before him, we need to make sure he's not just a 'one season wonderkid' before either the opposition 'suss him out', or he becomes jaded from being targeted by big old ugly defenders who just wanna kick lumps out of him... (see Nathan Oduwa) he has to be better than that.

I think it also depends on what their 'game is based on...

When you have promising 'powerhouse Central Midfielders/defenders or strikers as youth players... sometimes you JUST have to be patient until they mature physically, or become cleverer with experience (Kane)... so it might feel as if they are slow starters before they reach their full potential...
I think CCV will eventually become a beast at the back... but - despite the size of him already - he's still growing/developing the strength that will see him through in the long run.

In the case of tricky, nippy creative players like Edwards, his 'no fear' attitude that comes with youth and exuberance is likely to make him seem ready to be integrated in the first team immediately... but we've been stung many times before with similar types of players in the past.

So we REALLY NEED to make sure he's ready first, if he is gonna continue to be the real deal

If he continues too be as good as he looks right now, and well into the future.. then we have ourselves a gem!

But, like so many before him, we need to make sure he's not just a 'one season wonderkid' before either the opposition 'suss him out', or he becomes jaded from being targeted by big old ugly defenders who just wanna kick lumps out of him... (see Nathan Oduwa) he has to be better than that.
The last part of this is absolutely correct. A few scything tackles or a nasty injury will subdue the fearlessness. In a developing player, nobody wants to rush them before they're physically equipped to deal with what the league will throw at them-& the mental scars that can result from being chucked in at the deep end. I think this is why Dele is the real deal. He's taken to first team football with freakish ease & it's scary to think that he's not fully filled out yet. Edwards has time (& lots of it) on his side. No need to rush things.

Last edited:
The last pasty of this is absolutely correct. A few scything tackles or a nasty injury will subdue the fearlessness. In a developing player, nobody wants to rush them before they're physically equipped to deal with what the league will throw at them-& the mental scars that can result from being chucked in at the deep end. I think this is why Dele is the real deal. He's taken to first team football with freakish ease & it's scary to think that he's not fully filled out yet. Edwards has time (& lots of it) on his side. No need to rush things.

:ledleylick:

The last pasty of this is absolutely correct. A few scything tackles or a nasty injury will subdue the fearlessness. In a developing player, nobody wants to rush them before they're physically equipped to deal with what the league will throw at them-& the mental scars that can result from being chucked in at the deep end. I think this is why Dele is the real deal. He's taken to first team football with freakish ease & it's scary to think that he's not fully filled out yet. Edwards has time (& lots of it) on his side. No need to rush things.

So the first pasty not so much, huh?

I forgot how fickle we are with every 5'0 boy who kicks a ball nicely. Stop treating every youngster as a massive prospect before he has a full season of senior football under his belt.
This looks like a copy paste of the Taarabt the new Zidane rubbish

I forgot how fickle we are with every 5'0 boy who kicks a ball nicely. Stop treating every youngster as a massive prospect before he has a full season of senior football under his belt.
Mark Robson
Paul Moran
Jonathan Blondel
Nathan Ofuwa

...we've got previous!

But as always... THIS ONE'S THE ONE!

I've been saying throughout that I don't see anything special. Most fans seem to get way ahead of themselves. Of course, he is young and you just can't be sure till they've reached a certain age and have a chance to develop, but I find it bizarre some of the expectations some fans place on young players like this, which either puts pressure on them, or more likely, makes them up themselves, neither of which is good. I hope he makes it. We'll see.

Unfortunately, UNLESS you throw them in at the deep end at a young age, you'll always be speculating about 'promise' and 'future'... and only IF they hitvthe ground running, like Rooney can you say what a bright young raw talent can add to alL team..
IF they flounder, it's all what it's again and shoulda given them more time...
It's a lose lose situation unless they're the real deal!

Lovely assist.

So he's come off the bench and won the game for England. AGAIN.

Hopefully he starts in the final against Portugal.

Edwards wins the game for England. Last 30 seconds
Great pass to put Rickkets through just before who crossed and Imeacha missed that sitter,
Commentary was giving Edwards a hard time. Seemingly more than anyone else.
Who's fucking Carlos Edwards anyway, div

Back
Top Bottom