Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
(N'kodou + N'jie + Sissoko + Janssen + Wimmer + Stamboul + Fazio) + (N'kodou's, N'jie's, Sissoko's, Janssen's, Stambouli's, Fazio's and Wimmer's wages) > (quality player x 2) + (quality player's wages x 2)

#doingthemath

Its not about the math(s)... (well ultimately it is).

Its about breaking the wage structure and the issues it will cause within the existing squad.

Its not about the math(s)... (well ultimately it is).

Its about breaking the wage structure and the issues it will cause within the existing squad.

We got almost 150m from the league/TV money. We are building a massive, fuck-off stadium. A wage structure is sensible, but it also needs to evolve.

So, you don't like expected passing models because they ignore the recipient of the pass. Sorry, but that's kind of the point. The whole idea of a passing model is to look at who is good at passing the ball from less-dangerous areas of the pitch to more-dangerous ones.

Yet nothing about it takes into account how/why a pass is actually "dangerous". It doesn't take into account other players movement and positioning for a start. You wanted to know why it was flawed, and that is why. It's tenuous at best.

This kind of bollocks doesn't work outside of American and Canadian sports, and that in itself tells you enough about why almost no one outside of those places like the sports that they do work with.

You haven't explained why you think it is a "good" comparison, although I suspect it is just pointless figures that look good but have no substance (like the trapezoids).

You haven't explained why you think it is a "good" comparison, although I suspect it is just pointless figures that look good but have no substance (like the trapezoids).

Not sure why, but I find that comment hilarious! :dembelelol:

We got almost 150m from the league/TV money. We are building a massive, fuck-off stadium. A wage structure is sensible, but it also needs to evolve.

I agree, and it has. We have broken the 100K a week mark with Kane, Vertonghen and Lloris's most recent contracts. The cap was set at 80K before that, and even further back we where limited to 60-70K.

Our policy is frugal, yes, but it is a result of a philosophy that expects the club to operate within its own means.

Last edited:
I agree and it has. We have broken the 100K a week mark with Kane, Vertonghen and Lloris's most recent contracts. The cap was set at 80K before that, and even further back we where limited to 60-70K.

Our policy is frugal, yes, but it is a result of a club that operates within its own means.

....Get Toby in that top bracket NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Wages are around 50% of turnover, the sweet spot where we want them. Can increase wages by increasing turnover. Its possible to sell Kane (etc) on £100-150K as the top earner because that's what we can afford, would not want the conversation when we buy Bale on £300K.

Wages are around 50% of turnover, the sweet spot where we want them. Can increase wages by increasing turnover. Its possible to sell Kane (etc) on £100-150K as the top earner because that's what we can afford, would not want the conversation when we buy Bale on £300K.

Exactly that.

Our total wage bill in 12/13 season was 96.1m (56% of our total turnover)

Our total wage bill 15/16 was 121m (49% of our total turnover and comparable with Woolwich, Utd, Man City etc... but these clubs turn over more so can spend more on salaries)

Thats evolution.

Last edited:
Just suppose the entire forum concedes that they don't know of a suitable target, does that miraculously boost RB's ability or mean that a better option doesn't exist?

Sidenote/reminder to many: Dier, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Hugo, Vert... No PL experience prior to siging for Spurs.... Dele, Dier, Vert & CE collectively cost less than the supposed RB price-tag.

Appears that you (like some others on here) don't really want Barkley at the club, but can offer no viable alternatives, not one so far.

Barkley may or may not come to the club, but at least he could fit into the starting eleven (as a starter or on the bench), has a good game, and has as much skill and potential to improve as Dele. At only twenty three would also be a long term investment with potential sell on value which is something Levy looks for in a signing.

The end of the day (as an example) here's what i saw on semi final day:

Substitutes from: Begović, Zouma, Terry, Chalobah, Fàbregas, Hazard, Costa

Substitutes from: Lopez, Davies, Walker, Wimmer, Sissoko, Nkoudou, Janssen

Which set of benches would fill you with more fear if you see them warming up to come on and win a game of football?

Appears that you (like some others on here) don't really want Barkley at the club, but can offer no viable alternatives, not one so far.

It seems you like repetition...

(Covered in prev. replies)

Barkley may or may not come to the club, but at least he could fit into the starting eleven (as a starter or on the bench), has a good game, and has as much skill and potential to improve as Dele.

What a load of old hyperbolic guff!

Please explain what you mean in real terms by:

- "fit into the starting 11" (ahead of CE, Dele, Son etc?),
- "has a good game"

...and Dele is already playing at a higher level oh and he directly trumped next big thing RB for his England spot. Dele is not trading on potential yet RB who's older still is.

Paying £40m for mere potential, I'd want a visibly much, much, much higher ceiling. That's some serious dosh for a club like us.

At only twenty three would also be a long term investment with potential sell on value which is something Levy looks for in a signing.

Do me a favour! ...He'd had have to be one hell of a success if we were to ever get to sell him on at a profit; a level which would mean we wouldn't want to sell him anyway.!

Signings like Dier, Dele, GKN & N'Jie have an eye on resale... Not £40m players who after 3 years in the EPL at a decent club still carry that "what if" tag....

The end of the day (as an example) here's what i saw on semi final day:

Substitutes from: Begović, Zouma, Terry, Chalobah, Fàbregas, Hazard, Costa

Substitutes from: Lopez, Davies, Walker, Wimmer, Sissoko, Nkoudou, Janssen

Which set of benches would fill you with more fear if you see them warming up to come on and win a game of football?

That shit has already been done to death in this thread.

Costa started. Hazard is their MAN man... + we don't have the kind of money Chelsea casually throw about.

Why not compare us to Everton, Liverpool or Arse?

....Cos they don't have a Costa or Hazard on their bench (yeh right!) to make your incredibly flakey point.

I know you'd seemingly rather dodge questions, but how about this:

Does RB offer anything beyond that our current attacking depth does not?

Son, Lamela, Winks (between them we got goals, ball retention, creativity and an existing understanding of Poch's ways) + Edwards & Onomah to develope?

IMO no.

Last edited:
Yet nothing about it takes into account how/why a pass is actually "dangerous". It doesn't take into account other players movement and positioning for a start. You wanted to know why it was flawed, and that is why. It's tenuous at best.

This kind of bollocks doesn't work outside of American and Canadian sports, and that in itself tells you enough about why almost no one outside of those places like the sports that they do work with.

I said why in my last post, please go read it again.

You keep trying to say it is tenuous, but can't prove what you say, so you're just trying to dismiss it out of hand. You don't like it, and that's fine, but I do, and your assertia are both insufficient as arguments, and not going to deter me from posting how I like. So, while you complain that I am patronizing to those who disagree with me, I'm not the one desperately trying to stamp out any mention of things I don't like.

Roma have told Leandro Paredes he can leave for £22,000,000.

We have to be all over that. Literally the perfect Dembele replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom