Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Honestly mate, I do get it, I'm not missing anything. I understand the culture, what I'm saying is don't be surprised if the individual rejects it.

S'all good mate, I'm not claiming superior knowledge here....

If anything, I guess I'm more speculating from the numerous angles involved... And that Son may equally share such cultural/social values and thus be likely to honour it....

Anyone, know of any previous instances (footy players or otherwise)?

...Man, where are all the Son-fanboy lurkers when you actually need some insight? LOL

If anything, I guess I'm more speculating from the numerous angles involved... And that Son may equally share such cultural/social values and thus be likely to honour it....

...Man, where are all the Son-fanboy lurkers when you actually need some insight? LOL

There are some on here Conscription in South Korea - Wikipedia

I was wrong about the Mong guy, he dodged it according to that, and it was another guy who had to apologise and do it

Apparently hundreds are jailed every year for trying to dodge it

Haha, sleeping for now. I'm sure I'll get flamed overnight!

I think the difference and why most people aren't affected by national service is that their career isn't on such a short trajectory as a sports person, so there is no urgency. Son's mistake is leaving it so late (assuming he doesn't win immunity) it's too disruptive at his stage.

There are some on here Conscription in South Korea - Wikipedia

I was wrong about the Mong guy, he dodged it according to that, and it was another guy who had to apologise and do it

Apparently hundreds are jailed every year for trying to dodge it

That's kinda the reception/reaction/attitude I'd expected tbh.... Would be interested in terms of any celebs of 'international fame' status though... Most of that lot (both the 100 list and those on the wiki) appear to be no-bodies outside of their homeland...

If anyone was to get a pass, I'd say it'd be those that can serve as international 'ambassadors' for the country....

Edit: MC Mong removed some of his teeth....

:pochshock:

Haha, sleeping for now. I'm sure I'll get flamed overnight!

I think the difference and why most people aren't affected by national service is that their career isn't on such a short trajectory as a sports person, so there is no urgency. Son's mistake is leaving it so late (assuming he doesn't win immunity) it's too disruptive at his stage.

I don't think there IS a 'good' time for a footy player.... Imagine, for example, losing 19 - 21 from your development years.... All the young players (in theory) will be smarter, wiser and more experienced than you and your game... You'd be socially out of synch with the rest of your academy as they mature as young men... And likely evaded the eyes of a hell of a lot of scouts t'boot... Potentially, you may never catch up.

Edit: At least this way Son has a chance to make it without said obstacles and see where his career takes him

That's kinda the reception/reaction/attitude I'd expected tbh.... Would be interested in terms of any celebs of 'international fame' status though... Most of that lot (both the 100 list and those on the wiki) appear to be no-bodies outside of their homeland...

If anyone was to get a pass, I'd say it'd be those that can serve as international 'ambassadors' for the country....

One of them had lived in the US since 13, so he refused and got banned from entering the country instead

Edit: MC Mong removed some of his teeth....

:pochshock:

It's unclear if he got his name before or after his attempts to avoid conscription
:sonhmm::sonlol:

It's unclear if he got his name before or after his attempts to avoid conscription
:sonhmm::sonlol:

LOL.... Was tempted with a similar gag myself! :eriksenlol:

S'funny... There was a guy at our our school who similarly removed (most) of his own teeth (!!!).... He wasn't let OUT for quite a while afterwards.....

We must not look at ifs and buts. Its all about now and where we are going. You could argue , we have performed better without him?

Yea one can argue that...
My point was not so much that we've not done well, it's just that I think we have a stronger squad with him in the squad.

Speaking of doing well, are we on pace for a club-record points-haul this year again?

:eriksenlol::sonlol:

lol that face. worth a smilie.
17854740_10154556599438505_2365025933027376997_o.jpg

Incorrect x a billion you sad, pathetic trolling piece of shit. How many times have you been binned now? There's a reason you keep getting put away, and not me. It's because the forum in general view you as a bigger waste of space than they do me.

Truth hurts, bitch.

The only 'like' your post has received so far has been from Mindblown for goodness sake, the resident forum gooner, who nobody takes seriously.

Time to accept the facts that nobody wants you here, and move on, before you lose your dignity as well as your marbles you utter knobcheese.

Peace out :)

I hope they guys here can enjoy each other's company... but this is such a funny post....

not in the squad, but strong argument for saying the 1st XI is stronger.

Imo he's 2nd attacking sub behind Son. Son's goals make him indispensable.

Hard to see him starting ahead of Eriksen or Alli in PL too often, again it's the goals they score.

Absolutely agree with you. White Van Jan. Sonny's my favourite player but at the moment he needs to keep getting better (defensively and passing and holding the ball ) if he wants to displace Eriksen or Alli. I like Lamela aswell but I think it's just a shame he's so one footed - he has to keep breaking stride when he runs. To be so one footed from such an early age though is so limiting, I don't see how he could overcome it when you've come to be "that reliant" on using one foot. It's obvious Lamela is probably better at defending, awareness and passing, better taking the ball out the air - but those things can still be coached and improved a little bit to players not as good at these things. To hit the ball as cleanly as Son (and as accurately) as Son - I don't think that can be coached. If you look at some of Son's early games playing for the national team - he was hitting ball as cleanly even then from outside the box - you have to get that kind of stuff down early. For someone to say that Lamela is more obviously naturally/ or technically gifted - I think you'd have to be blind for that to be true. Son can dribble with both feet, cross, shoot, and his final pass is comparable to Lamela's but these 4 are pretty the most important qualities for an attacking player to be effective. He scores goals more goals from outside the box than any other Spurs player - that's a huge advantage against all these teams defending deep . I'm really sorry to the Lamela fans - I'm just trying to be give a constructive balanced view of strengths and weaknesses - but I know you'll say I'm biased. Nothing wrong with comparing players - that's half the fun. I think it gets ridiculous though that some spurs fans would rather our team lose just to say stuff like "Son is shit - he had a shit afternoon and let the team down" or something like that because they just want the kid kicked out the club.

I've noticed alot of posts saying "Son is bloody selfish" or something like that. Not sure where this perception comes from but was curious as this is commonly recurring theme. I found something in article the other day. I think his chances created and key passes is not as bad as compared to some other players who play in a similar position to him in the league:

Theo Walcott:

Premier League games: 20
Chances created: 11
Key Passes: 9
Assists: 2
Successful take ons: 32

Sadio Mane (Liverpool):

Games: 25
Chances created: 42
Key Passes: 37
Assists: 5
Successful take ons: 63

Raheem Sterling (Manchester City):

Games: 24
Chances created: 35
Key Passes: 30
Assists: 5
Successful take ons: 66

Son Heung-Min (Tottenham):

Games: 23
Chances created: 29
Key Passes: 26
Assists: 3
Successful take ons: 33

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Woolwich):

Games: 22
Chances created: 25
Key Passes: 21
Assists: 4
Successful take ons: 47

This is taken from web article:

Woolwich-winger-theo-walcott-too-one-dimensional-for-england

By what age would he have to serve his military service, if South Korea don't win the next Asian Cup?

2018-2019 Season will be his last season if he doesnt win a medal in the next asian game.
BTW, do not get mixed up between asian game and cup. Winning the cup doesnt give him any immunity.

I believe he'll get a military service exemption if South Korea make the last 16 of a World Cup.

Not anymore. They removed that "special" immunity because it's not fair to other kinds of athletes. Now, they give special immunity only if they win medals in a tournament where other sports are also included. So it's either olympics or asian game.

2018-2019 Season will be his last season if he doesnt win a medal in the next asian game.
BTW, do not get mixed up between asian game and cup. Winning the cup doesnt give him any immunity.
So we have got him for 2 more years then before the draft?
What are your chances of a medal in the Asian games?

Cos the poor bugger is fucked otherwise. He surely won't come back from 2 years military service & resume at the highest level of club football.

Thank God we're keeping hold of Lamela.

Not anymore. They removed that "special" immunity because it's not fair to other kinds of athletes. Now, they give special immunity only if they win medals in a tournament where other sports are also included. So it's either olympics or asian game.

So next year he'll go to the World Cup, have a short break then go to the Asian games, which seems like a bollocks tournament that players only participate in to get immunuty, so he'll miss both pre-season and the start of the season, need a bit of a break and be ready to play around October?

Korea doesn't make it easy for their players to succeed, does it?

Back
Top Bottom