Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stop ignoring the question?

Sell to who, FFS??????

There'd be no shortage of clubs with less disposable income than us willing to take a 10+5 mill in add ons gamble on him. We wouldn't touch Sturridge or Kompany but they'll be more than likely plying their trade somewhere next season and being handsomely paid for it.

Some of you lot really have a short memory, the guy was one of our best players last season why the fuck would we sell him because he had an injury. Always hear people moaning about players having no loyalty anymore, but what about fans, this guy has given us 100% commitment every time hes worn the shirt. I would maybe understand if he was 31 coming to the end of his career but the lad is still young, has his prime years ahead of him and deserves the chance to see if he can get fit and back to his best again.
If he ends up not being able to play well & regularly, then selling him would be a smart gamble that paid off.

True. To be fair most of the posts about him on crack etc are his defenders who hilariously come up with all sort of sarcastic jibes & repeat it over & over again. CRACK's me up every time.

some, yes, and I got no problem with that at all, not trying to spoil any fun, just annoys me the other posts that are serious and slate a decent player without cause.

you're probably right but that's not the point really. he has internet like anyone else so wouldn't surprise me to be honest, but even if he doesn't someone he knows probably does and it'll get back to him. anyway, it's not just on here, it's in the pubs and on the street, and the stadium and so on that these same things are said. It's just the wrong attitude to assume the worst of him when he has proven himself to us. He got shit loads of abuse the first two seasons. The first season he was new to the country, the league, shit manager, shit players around him, injuries but no one had any patience for him. He stayed and worked hard, and was much better in the second season, still he got little praise. It was only his third season that people started to talk positively about him. I think that shows great character, I have a lot of time for the lad. Now this. Just think people need to give him a break and show some respect to him, else as someone else said we don't deserve him or other players that give their all for us and we ought to go back to paying shit loads of money for the likes of Adebayor and so on.
Awwww. Bless 'im.

Look, I don't want to sound harsh, but football is a cutthroat world. It's interesting you mention Adebayor, because he was with us four years and we got one good year out of him. At the end of his time the attitude was "get the cunt out". Lamela has pretty much delivered the same on balance, but, ya know, he's a nice lad and he gave us a year so let's just bundle him up in cotton wool! oh, and he "tries hard" (does he, do you watch him in training?).

If Lamela has personal problems or bad injury problems than I have sympathy for him and will give him the benefit of the doubt in that respect. But the club has to do a balancing act and can't keep around players that are ultimately bad value. Lamela is a high earning celebrity who, I'm sure, understands that if he doesn't perform or is always injured then, right or wrong, he'll come in for stick from the fans and tabloids. That's football, and if he has a thin skin he shouldn't be in the game. He must also realise that if he can't play then that puts his position under threat. No?

That's what you wanted to know? Clubs sign players regardless of their injury record, there are alot of clubs out there desperate for a big name or a talent.

Austin, Carroll or Gündogan are some common examples. An Italian or French club would definitely sign someone like Lamela, regardless of his injury problems.

Dubious injury record is NOT the same as injured and not played a minute for what could be in the region of a whole year.

None of the players mentioned were injured at time of signing.

There'd be no shortage of clubs with less disposable income than us willing to take a 10+5 mill in add ons gamble on him. We wouldn't touch Sturridge or Kompany but they'll be more than likely plying their trade somewhere next season and being handsomely paid for it.
It's weird. People acting as though clubs never buy injury prone players.
City paid about 20m for gundogan.
No surprise that he is out for the season.

Awwww. Bless 'im.

Look, I don't want to sound harsh, but football is a cutthroat world. It's interesting you mention Adebayor, because he was with us four years and we got one good year out of him. At the end of his time the attitude was "get the cunt out". Lamela has pretty much delivered the same on balance, but, ya know, he's a nice lad and he gave us a year so let's just bundle him up in cotton wool! oh, and he "tries hard" (does he, do you watch him in training?).

If Lamela has personal problems or bad injury problems than I have sympathy for him and will give him the benefit of the doubt in that respect. But the club has to do a balancing act and can't keep around players that are ultimately bad value. Lamela is a high earning celebrity who, I'm sure, understands that if he doesn't perform or is always injured then, right or wrong, he'll come in for stick from the fans and tabloids. That's football, and if he has a thin skin he shouldn't be in the game. He must also realise that if he can't play then that puts his position under threat. No?

Lamela doesn't have a thin skin, he's played in 3 of the fiecest derbies in world football. He also isn't on crazy money (for a footballer...) like you seem to think he is.

And if he goes on to start performing well and regularly while all of his replacements continue to perform like N'Koudou, N'Jie and Sissoko?
Exactly. I would take that risk, you wouldn't. Well, you would take a risk on him staying fit & playing well again.
No right or wrong, just different opinions.

If he ends up not being able to play well & regularly, then selling him would be a smart gamble that paid off.
Why would we sell him were not going to receive big money for a player thats doubtful and in final year of contract, much better off taking a gamble with him. I dont understand some of you your acting like hes never going to play football again , he could easily be fit for all of next season for all we know. We will get more money for people like sissocko and nkoudou who we know are shit.

Dubious injury record is NOT the same as injured and not played a minute for what could be in the region of a whole year.

None of the players mentioned were injured at time of signing.
Carroll wasn't, Austin and Gündogan were.

Or let's go with Boufal. There were huge disappointments here in the forum when it turned out that he signed for Southampton. Well, he didn't feature in their pre-season games, missed a good amount of their first PL games and still looks completely out of shape. Dodged a bullet there.

I have to have an operation...I tried everything to recover but unfortunately my hip is still not 100% so I can't compete at the level I want to.
I'll face this challenge with a positive attitude and can't wait to get back with my team and be stronger.
Thanks everyone for your support!

Lamela doesn't have a thin skin, he's played in 3 of the fiecest derbies in world football. He also isn't on crazy money (for a footballer...) like you seem to think he is.
He's on £3m a year. We've paid him 12 million since he's been here. He now wants double and he's given us one good year.

And for thick or think skin, how do you know what he's like? Is he a mate of yours? Perhaps he has developed mental health problems that need treating but that, unfortunately, might compound his ability to play. Perhaps he has developed a situation that he never previous faced. We just don't know. But what we, and Levy, know is how much he has contributed on the pitch and one good season out of four is not a good return and if he has major surgery, he may not even make the start of next season.

At what point do we put aside our like of a player and think overall about the team? I'm not saying get him out. But I am saying I will understand if the club decide to do so.

He's on £3m a year. We've paid him 12 million since he's been here. He now wants double and he's given us one good year.

And for thick or think skin, how do you know what he's like? Is he a mate of yours? Perhaps he has developed mental health problems that need treating but that, unfortunately, might compound his ability to play. Perhaps he has developed a situation that he never previous faced. We just don't know. But what we, and Levy, know is how much he has contributed on the pitch and one good season out of four is not a good return and if he has major surgery, he may not even make the start of next season.

At what point do we put aside our like of a player and think overall about the team? I'm not saying get him out. But I am saying I will understand if the club decide to do so.

How do I know he has a thick skin? Quite fucking simple, he spent two years taking shit from his own fans and then went on to make them eat their words. Wouldn't have happened if he was the thin skinned pussy you make him out to be.

Awwww. Bless 'im.

Completely different, obviously. Lamela is injured but doing everything he can to get fit and play, and when he does play he gives everything in every game, not just those he fancies. Ade on the other hand is the complete opposite, and it wasn't injuries but attitude that was the problem. He was also being paid a shit load more and was a bad influence on the team as a whole and had a history of doing this at his two previous clubs.

Lamela is young. He could well get fit for next season and play for us for another decade without problems. It wouldn't be cut throat to get rid at this stage, it would be moronic. If we are still having this discussion a year from now then I could see a business case for moving him on in that cut throat way but he's not been out long enough and hasn't even had his op yet for fuck sake. He may be completely better come the summer. It's just fans being fickle, that's what this is.

Back
Top Bottom