Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton and England midfielder Ross Barkley, 23, could delay his decision on signing a new contract at Goodison Park, alerting the top Premier League sides to a potential summer deal. (Daily Star)

Weird how over the space of a month and a few decent games the press have lurched from Everton dropping Barkley due to poor form to him refusing to sign a contract to keep his options open.
Be a good bench option for us. If he's willing to do that. Can't see him starting at any other top 6 side apart from Liverpool, and that isn't happening.

See Mane's agent claiming he didn't "reject Spurs" in favour of Liverpool for financial reasons.

:pocheyes:

Must have been the lack of ANY European football that swayed his decision.

Or maybe it was the fact that they've finished above us just once in the last 7 seasons.

Or perhaps he was put off by us challenging for the title last year.

Or maybe he thinks Liverpool is a nicer place to live than London. :roflmao:

Or maybe, just maybe it WAS the money. Yep I'm going to go ahead and say it was definitely the money.

See Mane's agent claiming he didn't "reject Spurs" in favour of Liverpool for financial reasons.

Or maybe it was the fact that they've finished above us just once in the last 7 seasons.

Or maybe, just maybe it WAS the money. Yep I'm going to go ahead and say it was definitely the money.
I wonder if we maybe never made an official offer, as we already knew it was a done deal. Making the agent's claim "technically" true.

I wonder if we maybe never made an official offer, as we already knew it was a done deal. Making the agent's claim "technically" true.
Possible too. But Poch made some comments towards the end of the window that had a hint of the "we needed Mane but didn't push the boat out enough".

Reading between the lines of course but at the time it did seem like a bit of a indirect dig at Levy for us missing out on him.

Would love to see it but i get the feeling his place in the football universe is being a big fish in a small pond. Couldn't see him moving to a top 4/5 club and getting the minutes he would want to actually complete a move. In that respect he'd be an Everton signing at best or maybe a Klopp rotator but i'd find that unlikely

Yeah probably very true. Shame, I like the idea that he could be good competition/back up for Erikson.

Possible too. But Poch made some comments towards the end of the window that had a hint of the "we needed Mane but didn't push the boat out enough".

Reading between the lines of course but at the time it did seem like a bit of a indirect dig at Levy for us missing out on him.
Could be. We'll never really know, either way, until someone decides to do a tell all. I feel like we wasted most of our summer, and think that's been down to a less-than-effective backroom. I think our recruiting team could have been smarter, and Levy and Pochettino needed to listen more and direct less of the process.

I fail to see how such a promising individual as Williams could represent a tangible enough risk. At 22 he's 6'1, strong, a good finisher and could he sold on for 15-20mil if he flopped which relatively speaking is enough to send a flop to the bundesliga and makr up your money. I like this guy and with a huge bit of luck we grab him before Klopp does.

You describe a small portion of part time supporters with that statement as.most.of us get behind our players. Be it Bobby or Janssen.
Which particular statement do you mean?

Be a good bench option for us. If he's willing to do that. Can't see him starting at any other top 6 side apart from Liverpool, and that isn't happening.
We should NOT be looking for bench options. We should be buying for the first team and of course young players for development. Last summer Wanyama and Sissoko were bought for the first team although only Wanyama has made that his position. If Poch thinks Barkley is good enough and is a fit then he is expected to fight for a first team place. Whether he will be successful is down to him. The previous summer Trippier and Davies were also bought for the first team and it inspired Walker & Rose to improve. Will buying Barkley inspire Eriksen to be more consistent? If we are looking for Bench options they are not good enough.

To be fair it could have been because of klopp who is way more attractive to an attacking player.
Free flowing attacking side or a solid strong more defensive team?.
Manager who values pace or 1 who doesn't?

In my opinion we will look back to the last January window and realise we should have added to our ranks.

Like Saturday I think there is a peculiar arrogance or fear in thinking the apple cart might be upset by bringing in players who can challenge the reasonably established incumbents.

I would not accuse Pochettino or any of the players of nonchalance but it is sometimes easy to believe the hype that surrounds your own team and that of others.

Some players play as though each and every game might be their last. Others sometimes dip into I will play better next game.

Managers need the additional option to be able to make that you might get a chance to put that right in 3 or 4 games so sit down and watch.

In my opinion we will look back to the last January window and realise we should have added to our ranks.

Like Saturday I think there is a peculiar arrogance or fear in thinking the apple cart might be upset by bringing in players who can challenge the reasonably established incumbents.

I would not accuse Pochettino or any of the players of nonchalance but it is sometimes easy to believe the hype that surrounds your own team and that of others.

Some players play as though each and every game might be their last. Others sometimes dip into I will play better next game.

Managers need the additional option to be able to make that you might get a chance to put that right in 3 or 4 games so sit down and watch.
Who should we have bought?

Mate, I get up on some days around half 4 and have been my job a fair few years.

That job title does not allow me to scour the world in pursuit of one or two players who might improve our squad.

I am assuming the club do have such people on their books.

Ask them.
The fact that no one can answer this question shows why we didn't get anyone. No team wants to sell a player in January who is of the quality to challenge Spurs' 1st XI. You, and others, can't name a player because there wasn't one available at a sensible price. Unless we're talking about another 30m Sissoko situation.

Yet, at the same time as not being able to name said player, you use this nameless superstar to criticise our January transfer policy then wash your hands of responsibility for your opinion by suggesting I ask the club.

It's madness.

The fact that no one can answer this question shows why we didn't get anyone. No team wants to sell a player in January who is of the quality to challenge Spurs' 1st XI. You, and others, can't name a player because there wasn't one available at a sensible price. Unless we're talking about another 30m Sissoko situation.

Yet, at the same time as not being able to name said player, you use this nameless superstar to criticise our January transfer policy then wash your hands of responsibility for your opinion by suggesting I ask the club.

It's madness.

Fair comment mate but I am not talking superstar for a winter or any window as such.

I do absolutely believe we lack an A grade star, just hecause I do not see us with a Hazard, Rooney in his heyday or Bale of recent times. The kind of player who on their day and against whoever they play in terms of the Premier League has no equal. Not many around of course. No, I am talking of a viable addition/option to our squad. The kind of player who just gives us something different. We need it we really do.

I get your point but mine is undiminished regardless.

Last edited:
Fair comment mate but I am not talking superstar fir a winter or any window as such.

I do absolutely believe we lack an A grade star, just hecause I do not see us with a Hazard, Rooney in his heyday or Bale of recent times. The kind of player who on their day and against whoever they play in terms of the Premier League has no equal. Not many around of course. No, I am talking of a viable addition/option to our squad. The kind of player who just gives us something different. We need it we really do.

I get your point but mine is undiminished regardless.
I get the need for said player, don't get me wrong. I just can't see us getting that player in any January. Not without getting ripped to pieces on price. For example, I would have liked Jay-Rod this past window, but, Soton would have taken us the cleaners for 20+mil.

I think unless you get lucky with the likes of VDV, you're never going to get value in the January market. Especially not one who is ''Prem ready''.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom