Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've had a dip in form, yet got points on the board the last few weeks.
I think the lads will be keen to put run together now, and I believe we will see a response.

I want Poch to use the squad a bit more....he said we have to be clever....well be clever then.

I felt sorry for him today. Was let down in every are of the pitch by players who are usually excellent.

To a degree but we can't keep playing these tactics against Liverpool their front 3 are very quick and press brilliantly, whether Liverpool, Dortmund, Munchenglaback we struggle against hard pressing mobile teams.

It's happened to many times against Liverpool in the past few seasons to be simply bad luck or poor player performances, we need a rethink when playing Liverpool or anyone capable of that type of football.

I felt Dembele was quite good, probably our best player today imo, but we were anxious and slow on the ball and didn't go forward too much. Well at least the last tough game of the season out of the way. We move forward and hope Chelsea will go through a blip, starting tomorrow at Burnley. There's still a lot to be played and I refuse to stop believing. COYS!

We need to forget about the title. Providing Chelsea win tomorrow it's a 12 point gap, they aren't going to lose 4 games again.

Our focus now is a top 4 position and a strong performance in the FA Cup. I'd take finishing in the top 4 and winning the FA Cup happily. Coming second to a Chelsea team of the quality they are showing is no shame.

Its a few posts about a plan b during a match.
& u talk of "moving on". What a drama queen.
It took me about 2mins to write those posts.
Hardly a big thing in my life that I should consider "moving on" from.

What's a big thing in your life?

Opening the washing up liquid?

Still Joe Cunt Clash likes you so happy days

Worst performance of the season, all on Poch for me.

How so..?

On todays performance, he should have dropped Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Wanyama, Son, Dier, Alli and Davies.
How can the manager be at fault for picking the first team, bar injuries?

I think he needs to trust the fringe players more, but blaming him for Davies and Dier playing like fucking morons

All 3 studio pundits are berating Spurs for having no spirit, losing every individual battle, and showing no desire to go out and win the match. In other words, they're saying we're a team of fucking bottlers. And let's be honest for once they are absolutely right.

To a degree but we can't keep playing these tactics against Liverpool their front 3 are very quick and press brilliantly, whether Liverpool, Dortmund, Munchenglaback we struggle against hard pressing mobile teams.

It's happened to many times against Liverpool in the past few seasons to be simply bad luck or poor player performances, we need a rethink when playing Liverpool or anyone capable of that type of football.

So many things wrong today tactically but continually giving the ball away
Wanyama

Getting caught in possession
Dier

Players going missing
Eriksen, Dembele, Alli

Players not scoring when one on one with the keeper
Son

You can't legislate for that

What an awful game. We got completely overrun in midfield.
Eriksen and Son's defense to start the game was a real letdown.
Liverpool came out chomping at the bit and we couldn't match their intensity.

We lost nearly every 50/50, every challenge, and our press was beaten far, far too often.
Our first touch and passing were poor and we had great difficulty establishing possession for the most part. Liverpool frequently swarmed us midfield while our players looked for an open man.

It seems like we really need that extra man in the back/middle to get a grip on the game. Tough while so many of our best defenders are out. I'd like to see us try a 4-3-2-1 kind of thing next game with Winks as the extra man in midfield. I think he could have made a difference out there. We were just way too slow and ponderous in possession against them.

I think we have unique difficulties against Klopp-erpool's style and personnel. They can beat our press with a variety of passing while we have trouble beating their press cross-field or over the top. We won't face many/any others like them so I guess it's not a big worry, but Poch really needs to sit down and consider carefully how to beat them next time. We looked woefully unprepared to start today.

Title race definitely over with a Chelsea win tomorrow, but that's fine, we are still fighting for a Top 4 position. Team needs to buckle down right now and focus on finishing the season strong.

Last edited:
Stoke (H)
Everton (H)
Palace (A)
Southampton (H)

Our next 4 games.. we should be looking at 12 points (I know games aren't won on paper)

Liverpool will lose to a lower team again, it's in there DNA, and I think we'll beat Utd and Woolwich at home. As long we win the games we are expected too then we will get the top 4 position again.

Today was poor, that's not hard to see. But don't dwell on it.. you're all entitled to vent your anger, but we're still holding our future in our own hands. The teams below are hoping we slip, not the other way round.

The 63 year old child that is Bazali Bazali is on a disagree spree. It's wonderful for me to imagine his Farah slacked, cardiganed up, slipper wearing, angsty fury, caused by some cunt on the internet who thinks he's a joke carpet dealer from Norfolk.

Awaits the X with keen anticipation.

we knew last season we bottled it, but we didn't go out and buy 2 or 3 players with the mental strength we needed, because Poch would not be able to control them, like he can with young guys

I stand by my pre match confidence. Play to your strengths.

Our strengths are going at teams.....we had one shot on target against a team with Lucas at CB. Didnt expose their weaknesses one bit, but were very quick to let them exploit ours.....by fucking around at the back, when we had acres of space and time on the ball in a nothing area. To slow to get the ball down and go forward other than silly long punts to no one.

It doesnt work for us, and no idea why we do it. Been saying it all week mate to be fair. It was City all over again, but Liverpool were never letting this one go.

Massively disapointing today. What is wrong with us in these big away games? This was reminiscent of city without the get out of jail card. We obviously needed to cut off the supply to Mane, instead we looked determined to play him in, especially Wan who seemed to think he was playing for Liverpool first half. No protection for Davies, and pool were first to everything all over the pitch. How important is Danny to us, I think we would prevented both goals with him on there.

That game had nothing to do with technical ability (Davies aside) they pressed and harried us, the game was stop start and littered with fouls the dippers showed no quality on the ball too, who in their team did anything amazing on the ball, don't go there with Mane too.

They beat our press often. They skipped past many challenges in midfield.
Dembele and Wanyama pretty much failed to break up any of their play in the first 20 minutes.
Sure, things stabilized somewhat in the second half, but it was enough that we were down 2-0 by that point, so, have to say it was a failure overall.

Tight contests against quality opposition often come down to discipline and focus over a full 90', and we were soundly overcome in that department today even if we did alright 'for the most part'.

Back
Top Bottom