Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This guy is such a clueless mutt.

How many headed goals from corners have Son, Dembele, Walker, Wanyama got between them? Less than 5? I can't remember when Dele scored from a direct corner, but I can't imagine it being often.

Our threat from corners was Toby, Dier and Kane. That's it. No wonder we took it short and tried to work it into the box.

This guy is such a clueless mutt.

How many headed goals from corners have Son, Dembele, Walker, Wanyama got between them? Less than 5? I can't remember when Dele scored from a direct corner, but I can't imagine it being often.

Our threat from corners was Toby, Dier and Kane. That's it. No wonder we took it short and tried to work it into the box.

Conventional corners yield a success rate of 3 in 100. I'm all for short corners. Owen Gibbins (not Gibbs) is a git.

I hate short corners. We have a real threat with Toby et al in the box which we don't utilize enough and didn't tonight. And our short corners are thoughtless and rarely 'worked' - just a quick pass to the nearest player. Clueless and wasteful. Then again, with Erikson's often erratic delivery...

We have a real threat with Toby in the box which we don't utilize and didn't tonight

You know how people score from a corner?

The defenders have to mark multiple targets. This is difficult. 1 defender loses the target and he scores.

Do you think 10 people are going to lose Toby and Dier? It's 10 v 2 of the main threats, Kane rarely scores from corners.

Tactically it would be quite incredible for 10 players to fuck up so badly that Toby ran away from 1, was not blocked off by another, was not grabbed by 1, managed to out jump 1 and did not head it into 1.

A genuine question

What would you be satisfied with?

What would you be elated with?

What would you be gutted with?

Try to be realistic, obviously, saying you'd be happy with 2 cups and a title is a bit OTT...

Satisfied with a top 4 finish and going for it in the remaining cups, getting to a semi at least

Elated with 2nd or above or 3rd and a cup

Gutted with 6th as we are 2nd right now, and deserve to be there

Only just realised before this match they were bottom of the table. Fucking rock bottom with a goal difference of minus 22 !
This really was a shocking performance against such dross. What a wasted opportunity.

I consider it a tremendous success if we finish above Woolwich at the end of this season. Even better if they drop out of top 4.

Today was a baby step in that direction. Relegation fighters are very annoying (and desperate) during this time of the season. Could happen to anyone.

Nice post .
Comparing Spurs supporters to Woolwich Wankers just because they are not wanking themselves senseless at a 0-0 away to shit like Sunderland.

Well done , you look big.

Who's trying to look big?! I'm not saying i'm delirious with happiness that we drew away to a Sunderland side who defended like heroes. But there is a happy medium between that and the over privileged expectation and constant bashing of the players and manager every time we have an off day, i'm sorry, but that reeks of those cunts next door.

Fucking Son ffs, he's utter shite

Son just fuck off to military service, you cant play football.

ffs Davies is shit.

Good one Walker. Fucking idiot.

Oh just fuck off Davies. Useless.

Fuck off Davies

This shit started before the end of the first half by the way..... If i'm gonna have to read this bollox i may as well be on some generic football message board.

Of course people are entitled to criticise it's a discussion forum, but for me being "Spurs" means supporting the shirt regardless of who is in it and how they play - win, lose or draw.... not this.

Only just realised before this match they were bottom of the table. Fucking rock bottom with a goal difference of minus 22 !
This really was a shocking performance against such dross. What a wasted opportunity.

Just because Sunderland are bottom of the table, doesn't mean they didnt play well today.

Just got home from the game and am ridiculously disappointed with our performance, lacked creativity all over the park and the play was so narrow it was unbearable just lucky other results didn't go against us.

Pretty shit result. I only saw the last 15 minutes because work, but when I saw that 0-0 scoreline, I already knew what had happened. I actually was pretty glad I hadn't seen any of it. Can't bring myself to watch MOTD for the first time in awhile.

Needless to say, the results is hugely disappointing and a giant missed opportunity to make up ground against Chelsea and other top 4 opponents.

I couldn't find the post in this thread, but somebody said something about having become a club that now draws the odd game rather than loses the odd game. Whoever you are, I agree with you- we've improved greatly, but, we also might not be playing at a level to win a Prem title this year.

Just staying Top 4 is gonna be tough enough at this point though, so we should probably try to win all of our remaining games, right?

The Cups are great but I think CL qualification through the league is of highest importance- making sure two of the other "big" clubs sit out from CL each season while we participate is massive from a reputational standpoint, especially as we don't have the money to match wages or transfer fees yet against the other "big" clubs. For that reason, I really hope Poch focuses on the league. If we try to make a Cup run with our top XI I am sure we will fuck up the league. As many of you have rightly pointed out, we don't have a good enough squad as a whole to compete across all competitions equally.

Prem title would be great, but here's what I'm realistically hoping for: Top 4 finish including a finish above Woolwich. Would love to finish above them for a change. Would be fantastic as a building block for next season, too.

3. Pot shots from Davies and Wanyama are wasteful and a sign of our frustration, we should not be encouraging these guys to shoot from 25+ yards

No less wasteful however than the zero shots on target we had inside the box

We tried to do something predictably easy to defend against and that wasn't working for 90 minutes.
The last thing I'm going to criticise is those having a crack.

You have Dembele in space in the edge of the box. No shot time and again just turns backwards, then back again towards goal, check, lay it wide.
Then we fight down the wing to play it the exact same spot. To Dembele, in space edge of the box.....no shot, turn backwards again.
The fuck is the point?
We need to be better at daring something else.
A shot over the bar is the same waste as a pass that the keeper just happily smothers.. But at least a shot can go in.

Last edited:
Not a bad sign when we are hugely disappointed with a draw on an Away game against a PL side albeit Sunderland. Chelsea drew Woolwich lost and think City will have to settle for a draw so again not the end of the world and the grief in this forum can be understood but a draw is still a point and will take of business this weekend.

Lots of people making the point that Sunderland came to defend, yet when City were doing the same at 2-0 up, we found a way through.

We found a way past Chelsea, when they had numbers back.

Last night the pin point balls from Eriksen were missing, and no runs round the back from Dele.

Very flat attack, despite our ability. For me, it wasnt Moyes tactics or a desperate need for new players, just an off night.

Last edited:
Lots of people making the point that Sunderland came to defend, yet when City were doing the same at 2-0 up, we found a way through.

We found a way past Chelsea, when they had numbers back.

Last night the pin point balls from Eriksen were missing, and no runs round the back from Dele.o

Very flat attack, despite our ability. For me, it wasnt Moyes tactics or a desperate need for new players, just an off night.
But it is about new players, because those players having an "off night" can be replaced, we have no to replacement or help Kane, we have no replacement for Eriksen
it was the same last season, but last Januray we had the chance to buy Charlie Austin, who would have helped Kane out, we didn't get him and we lost out on the league,
we mount all our hopes on a 20yr lad, and hope he will score for us

I genuinely blame the ref he made 100 % sure the game suited Sunderland last night never let the game have any tempo gave an incredible amount of soft free kicks and saw exactly what Rodwell done then he plays 2 minutes of extra time and allows Sunderland to take a minute of it taking a throw in when we were in the ascendancy.

Back
Top Bottom