Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's a great post on SC regarding the Isco rumours. And it's actually from the forum administrator, A&C. Usually as pro-Levy as they come. In fact it's so good, I'll quote it word for word

"You're probably right about us not signing him but I disagree on one point. We're a very big draw. We should stop selling ourselves short, we're one of the biggest clubs in Europe. We should maybe sometimes act like it"

A&C is "usually as pro levy as they come"????

:llorisunsure:

Levy non-football related business - 8/10
Levy outgoing transfer- 7/10
Levy incoming transfer - 2/10

One of the worst chairmen going at actually buying a player, especially anyone of any real quality.

Hope he sells the club and moves on once the stadium is done.

I despise SSN TRANSFER WINDOW DEADLINE DAYTM
...and everything the Media invented, overhyped panic buy car crash tv it has become!

I'm gonna boycott the tv* tomorrow...

*until 11.59pm ...JUST in case we have late bids for Messi, Bale & Windass accepted and can squeak the transfers through before the window SLAMS shut... and Big Ben chimes it's most important BONG before New Year!

Levy non-football related business - 8/10
Levy outgoing transfer- 7/10
Levy incoming transfer - 2/10

One of the worst chairmen going at actually buying a player, especially anyone of any real quality.

Hope he sells the club and moves on once the stadium is done.
Yes because the chairman is the one that selects the players to buy at our club? And despite that,
- Lloris (one of the best keepers in the world for 12m)
- Alderweireld (our POTY last season for 11m in a market where John Stones is 47.5m)
- Vertonghen (12m signing for a man who has been a mainstay in our defence last few years)
- Dier (4m?! That should be charged in court of law)
- Alli (5m for one of the biggest rising stars nowadays, trusting the scouts)
- Eriksen (11m for the hottest young player in the world at the time)
- Van der Vaart (Great player who really propelled us in the CL)
- Modric (need I say anymore?)
- Bale (see above)

So many more besides that, not bad for a chairman who is the worst at signing players, we almost never sell players on a negative.

Biggest concern is that last year we rode our luck with injuries and were able to play near enough the same XI (wimmer/vertonghen aside) for the bulk of the PL. We were also able to rotate in Europe (although didn't do as much as some would've liked in group stage).
This year itd be a brave man to predict so few injuries and also factor in the fact that CL games will be harder to put reserves/yoof in for, suddenly the squad is looking thin.

Bang on, and let's face it when Dembele was out we were a totally different side, same with Alli by the end of the season.

Yes because the chairman is the one that selects the players to buy at our club? And despite that,
- Lloris (one of the best keepers in the world for 12m)
- Alderweireld (our POTY last season for 11m in a market where John Stones is 47.5m)
- Vertonghen (12m signing for a man who has been a mainstay in our defence last few years)
- Dier (4m?! That should be charged in court of law)
- Alli (5m for one of the biggest rising stars nowadays, trusting the scouts)
- Eriksen (11m for the hottest young player in the world at the time)
- Van der Vaart (Great player who really propelled us in the CL)
- Modric (need I say anymore?)
- Bale (see above)

So many more besides that, not bad for a chairman who is the worst at signing players, we almost never sell players on a negative.
You could double that with a load of shit .

I fancy we will buy Ante Coric.
I'm hopeful that Levy will push the boat out and get Isco.

Ante Coric told some local paper he wants to stay at Zagreb this season. Bummer.

Isco isn't going to happen. Hope he does a van der Vaart but it isn't the same situation. Rafa was thrown into our lap. However. I think Isco would be a massive signing. Like how Ozil is/was for the scum.

Berahino is showing as 14/1 to join Spurs....

Given what we did to get him last year ( maybe not enough ? ) how odd that he's been binned off as an option. If he was scouted properly. Surely he's still worth it as an option.

Still when we sign James Rodridges and Isco it won't matter much.

So everyone pretty much agreed that the two positions that we definitely needed to strengthen were cover for Dier/Dembele and Kane..........we then signed exactly that early in the window for very reasonable fees

But now the narrative is that we have left our transfers to the end of the window

:pochrolleyes:

The same people that bemoan late transfer activity also complain about no late transfer activity.....

I know Isco would be amazing and of course I wouldn't say no to him but is he really what we need right now? IMO we need a player with a bit of pace in one of the positions behind the striker and he is in a similar(ish) mould to Alli, Lamela and Eriksen. Those three have many different attributes but are really mostly built around being ball players. If we could add a more direct player that is of the level of Isco etc it would be perfect as it would give us more variation in attack. Sadly not too many are around it seems and Nkoudou won't be starting and simply isn't on that level.

cretinousgoat cretinousgoat is good people.
And he's earned alot more credo on this board than you have.
Chill out....
So because he earned more credo than me on this forum, it's alright for him to constantly insult people? Yeah, right...The one who needs to chill out is the guy himself. Do you think his rants are normal? Don't you think calling someone a dirty fooking gooner pig after a disagree rating is a bit over the top? If he is such a good person, I've yet to see it, all I've seen from the guy thus far are rants and insults.

Last edited:
I know Isco would be amazing and of course I wouldn't say no to him but is he really what we need right now? IMO we need a player with a bit of pace in one of the positions behind the striker and he is in a similar(ish) mould to Alli, Lamela and Eriksen. Those three have many different attributes but are really mostly built around being ball players. If we could add a more direct player that is of the level of Isco etc it would be perfect as it would give us more variation in attack. Sadly not too many are around it seems and Nkoudou won't be starting and simply isn't on that level.

We should definitely sign Isco if we can - you can never really have too many top quality playmakers, we rely a lot on Eriksen at the moment.

I'm in two minds about this.

Really doubt there's a flood of new signings to come in. And it looks like the decks are getting cleared out too.

We have always known Poch prefers to work with the younger players.

If we have a reasonably settled first 11, perhaps with some having doubts about Eriksen, then should we not have faith in the manager, who would appear to prefer youth players in the bench as opposed to £15m/£20m bench warmers?

More money to invest in the youth set up, and shows a path through to the first team I'd the best youngsters come to Spurs.

It's no good going mental about messi with an afro etc. if they get 13 minutes of playing time in a season. Yes they need to develop, but isn't that the point?

That idea looks nice on paper, but sometimes the youngsters just aren't ready to step up, leaving gaps in the squad. We had one striker in Kane last season, yet I didn't see someone from the youth like Harrison stepping up, leaving us with real problems.

We should definitely sign Isco if we can - you can never really have too many top quality playmakers, we rely a lot on Eriksen at the moment.
Yeah like I said I wouldn't say no but if there is another player of the similar ilk that we can find that suits us better I would rather that. I just worry it would disrupt our team harmony.

Yeah like I said I wouldn't say no but if there is another player of the similar ilk that we can find that suits us better I would rather that. I just worry it would disrupt our team harmony.

I think the way you push your team on is to sign people that directly compete for other players positions - we saw that last year with Walker and Trippier.

Back
Top Bottom