The Mighty Poch Men vs. Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's the longest in the shower?

• Total voters
What is it with us and goalkeepers, always amazing when we are in town. The Joe Hart performance against us a few seasons back was one of the best if not the best goalkeeping performance of my lifetime for pretty much any team. Then Joe Hart goes back to being Joe Hart when he plays for England.

Think if I went in goal against us I would gain superman powers and become Manuel neuer.

I would drop Wanayama next game, move Dele or Eriksen back to central midfield with Dier move Kane back to attacking midfield and start Janssen up front.

Up the goal EFC fully deserved the lead and to win it, period. Saying anything else is full on blinkering to the point of refusing facts.

You can excuse a lot when looking at players individually, but as a team you have to be critical. Is the the players' attitude, the scheduling, the travelling?

This is the worlds most grossing sporting competition at all and wages are world record leading of any sport.

I don't expect us to win everything, this season perhaps not anything at all (refer my post in the Expectations thread).

But to see a team so visibly shaken and unfit for the first of what will be for Spurs and unprecedented long and ardous season, that suprises me. As I earlier said, I am suprised comparing it to the levels of professionalism in other sports.

Not having a go at individuals as such - just looking at the players, team, club as a whole, keeping in mind objective here.
Like I said 7 of the starting 11 had one competitive match after their holidays, Vertonghen not one. So thats 8 players out of the 11. Eriksen has had sporadic time pre season.
Woolwich will not be playing their Euro contingent as Wenger feels they need rest and time to get mach fit.
We had 10 of them, plus Lamela.
So, why would it be a surprise that the team are rusty?
I notice the rustiness of most, except maybe Toby, in the inter game. Especially the rustiness of Dele. Eriksen hasn't performed pre season. Not really had a full game on the tour did he?
Janssen looks fit and sharp though he's usually used to starting a week earlier.

The fluke goal had an effect. Lifted them and the crowd. We were then maybe searching for the equaliser too much.
I honestly don't think we were that bad.
I don't think our keepers were under it and pulling off worlds to keep us in it.

One of those games where Danny and Kyle were driving things as Kane, Eriksen and Alli all were poor

Lamela a master, Janssen one of a dying breed of actual strikers; Kane needs to watch the nuicense he made of himself in and out of the box.

Steklenberg made a couple of silly saves, usual Everton away performance

As usual I never see us conceding unless it's a free kick or corner, the back 6 we had would never have been beaten otherwise

Probably take that after our first half performance. Worked into it and janssen probably should have scored a second but you can't be too hard on him as he took the shot at least. Not the easiest game first up and away points are always good.

Tiny dancer.

Nope. Eriksen scores and creates.

Despite the blatant tiresome baiting I'll bite.

It's just we need more cover in front or Rose who attacks as much as any attacking midfielder.

It's purely tactical to hold up the ball and get better link up with Kane.

Eriksen is delaying signing a contract. IMO he needs to up his game after the end of the season and the start of this. If anyone makes way for Janssen right now on form IMO it's Eriksen.

But I would not complain if Poch played him and dropped someone else. Alli seems to be in model girlfriend and champaign mode too. I was hoping he'd be back to champaign football instead.

Eriksen is a great player. There isn't a single player i don't rate. I just don't rate having such a slow attacking midfield with weak wings. So my concerns are pace and power in the final third. Janssen is faster and way stronger.

Janssen came on and the ball stuck in the final third.

Last edited:
It's hardly surprising after the EC and the CA, the trip to Oz and the Olympics, resulting in our players being all over the world during the summer, that without a proper pre-season (again) we've started a little slowly. We got it together in the 2nd half, and that's a positive. Nothing to worry about really, and I expect us to pick it up quickly.

Nice not to lose on the opening day.

It's hardly surprising after the EC and the CA, the trip to Oz and the Olympics, resulting in our players being all over the world during the summer, that without a proper pre-season (again) we've started a little slowly. We got it together in the 2nd half, and that's a positive. Nothing to worry about really, and I expect us to pick it up quickly.

Nice not to lose on the opening day.
Stop being so damned reasonable, brother.

It's more my nature to panic....

Back
Top Bottom