Realistically What Do You Want From Spurs In 2012/13?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Belgian Spur said:
tricky said:
Think a lot of people are conveniently ignoring the word 'realistically' in the title. People forget that reality sucks most of the time.

Top 6 will still be tough, especially when Modric is gone, so I would still take top 4 now, as I would have done at the beginning of last season.

Failing that 17th, on the proviso that Goons are 18th.

Failing that 'failing, but with class and style'.

Tricky , the DML faithfull will all know that you only want one thing and that is this man :hudd: bossing our midfield.
You know me so well.

I'm just biding my time Old chap, biding my time.

Anchor him in a 4-3-3 with two of parker / sandro / livermore / gilfi or even VDV (depending on opposition), and you release the wide players in a 4-3-3 quicker, so set up for a far quicker counter attack and a tight protective midfield (I am of course assuming a Modric departure) and dare I say it 'rotation', as he still wouldn't be the first choice for some of the games where we need more combative abilities (which then you have parker / sandro / livermore combo).

IF, and this is the crux, IF he still can place a pass on a gnat's twat from 50 yards and is willing to put a shift in.

But I'll save this one for another day.............

jlb1705 said:
tricky said:
Think a lot of people are conveniently ignoring the word 'realistically' in the title. People forget that reality sucks most of the time.

I think you are ignoring the word "want" in the title. I don't think any of us "want" this coming season to suck, so why would we talk about that? I suppose if this thread were asking for predictions rather than wishes, that would be a different matter.

As far as what's realistic, a lot of people in this thread have asked for things that were within reach last season. I won't pretend to speak for anybody else, so I'll use my list as an example:

I want people to continue to say that Spurs play the most beautiful and entertaining football in the Premier League.

I want to finish above Woolwich.

I want a Champions League berth, and I want whatever league finish it takes to make that happen. If fourth place isn't good enough (again) to get in, then I want a finish higher than of fourth.

I want Europa League to be taken seriously.

The first one is something Spurs already do. It's really more of an expectation than a wish, but very realistic since it's something they did last season.

Finishing above Woolwich and a earning a spot in the Champions League were both tantalizingly close last year. Just one goal scored or prevented in any game that Spurs drew last year would have seen them through on both counts. That smallest bit of improvement in results can't be too much to ask for, right?

Taking Europa League seriously as a club - that is simply a matter of will on the part of the new manager and the players he selects.
Come now let us not get into this tittle tattle. 'Realistically' is always going to be juxtaposed to 'want' under the circumstances.

But as a cautionary tale, as a collective of fans, we do have the propensity to let our expectations run wild with mindless (and often in the face of all empirical evidence to the contrary) optimism.

There are here merely to say 'just reign in your expectations now'. I have said it before and I'll say it again:

'The optimist is often disappointed, the pessimist pleasantly surprised'.

So really the issue is, how do you want to feel in May?

tricky said:
Come now let us not get into this tittle tattle. 'Realistically' is always going to be juxtaposed to 'want' under the circumstances.

But as a cautionary tale, as a collective of fans, we do have the propensity to let our expectations run wild with mindless (and often in the face of all empirical evidence to the contrary) optimism.

There are here merely to say 'just reign in your expectations now'. I have said it before and I'll say it again:

'The optimist is often disappointed, the pessimist pleasantly surprised'.

So really the issue is, how do you want to feel in May?

That's fair, and the collective outlook in a thread like this can quickly take on a life of its own.

My reply to the adage about optimists and pessimists is this: If I were trying to avoid disappointment, I wouldn't be following football in the first place.

Smoked Salmon said:
Dru said:
Eskimo said:
Anything less than what we have acheived under Harry and Levy has to go....
A joke surely?
Why need it be a joke?

Clearly that'sLevy's benchmark. Jol got the sack for no CL. Ramos's brief was to get CL. H got CL, so why would Levy not expect that as the benchmark for the new manager?

The point is that sacking AVB after failing to take CL in his first year would be stupid. He was hired as part of a long-term vision for the club, no need to knee-jerk and sack him if we miss out on a target that has become harder that it was last year.

Redknapp wasn't sacked because we got 4th and missed out on CL. He got sacked because he checked out during the spring, thought of himself as being bigger than the club, put forth shit suggestions for signings, exhibited no tactical nous, undermined Levy's authority in the press, and wanted a big fat raise.

Redknapp's managerial stint was becoming a distraction. The club needed a fresh start and a new direction.

Unless your wage bill measures up like Man City's, it's quickly becoming unrealistic to expect to be competing in the CL every year. You've got 6 teams right now that want a place in European football every season, and you've got a couple of teams like Newcastle that might have an outside shot at it. Levy understands this, so he's not going to sack AVB even if he doesn't lock down CL the season after next.

I'd like to win the FA Cup like this:
3rd round - Barnet away - 0-6
4th round - Woolwich home - 4-0
5th round - Chelski away - 0-3
Quarters - City home - 4-0
Semi - United - 3-0
Final - Liverpool - 4-0

Someone make that happen for me and I can die happy.

Ramsingh said:
Semi - United - 3-0
Final - Liverpool - 4-0

The only change I'd make is to beat yoonitered at the Theatre of Wotsit. That would be an epic run.

I like the fixtures, but it would have to be Chelsea in the semi-final at Wembley to pay them back for last season.

And Woolwich in the Final. It would crush them more than the 4th round.

Ramsingh said:
Semi - United - 3-0
Final - Liverpool - 4-0

Without conceding a single goal, that would be impressive!

henryp0p said:
The point is that sacking AVB after failing to take CL in his first year would be stupid. He was hired as part of a long-term vision for the club, no need to knee-jerk and sack him if we miss out on a target that has become harder that it was last year.
I agree.

I just don't think Levy does.

So this thread seems to reveal that we want to win the Europa League and also finish in the top four. I think both can happen but only if the second string can perform well in the EL group stage. It will be tough to go far in the EL, although I'd love to win it of course.

Realistically?

Top 4 finish. :dawson:

At least one deep cup run. :avbdamn:

Knockouts of Europa. :defoe2:

But most importantly, I don't want to be watching a home match on the T.V. 5000 miles away wandering why WHL is not rocking because it should always be making noise. You lucky bastards that can get there, you should all be hoarse every Monday you walk into work after a match at the Lane.

COYS

We'll have a shit start, get mauled by the media, recover it to finish 6th with a Europa League semi-final, too. No tragedy, would give something to build on.

Big Sky Spur said:
Realistically?

Top 4 finish. :dawson:

At least one deep cup run. :avbdamn:

Knockouts of Europa. :defoe2:

But most importantly, I don't want to be watching a home match on the T.V. 5000 miles away wandering why WHL is not rocking because it should always be making noise. You lucky bastards that can get there, you should all be hoarse every Monday you walk into work after a match at the Lane.

COYS

Realistic predictions, good post. As for the atmosphere.. I got told to be quiet in the paxton upper once. No swearing or anything just a normal chant that the the Park Lane had started and I wanted to start it in the paxton. Apparently not! Seems to get worse season by season.

BerkshireYid said:
Realistic predictions, good post. As for the atmosphere.. I got told to be quiet in the paxton upper once. No swearing or anything just a normal chant that the the Park Lane had started and I wanted to start it in the paxton. Apparently not! Seems to get worse season by season.
Don't quite know what these shushers expect to be able to hear, but luckily, if the PL follows the US NFL model, pretty soon they'll be able to have their smartphones out all match and can listen to exclusive audio content while looking down at their screens for exclusive video content. It'll be just like staying at home and watching on the 63" HD set to SKY!

Back
Top Bottom