Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Planet Levy is certainly not a place I want to visit. Imagine it full of sub 5ft bald little men, all trying to rinse your money for some cheap thrills.

The Mitchell's, Black Box will identify which players we need to sign. Probably the same program (Sqwaka, whoScored etc) that half the forum use to quote stats at each other.
The "Black Box" was a video conferencing room at Soton. People think it did the work, when it was really the fancy display.

Whoscored and Sqwaka both use Opta data, which just about everyone except Woolwich use. We use Opta data as well, but there are different levels of data. The stuff provided to the likes of Whoscored or the media are not as detailed as what the teams pay for.

Fuck Gotze, the laziest german player alive. He's a glam boy who lives of those few moments of brilliance, an old style flair player. Modern flair players are in the KDB, Draxler, Silva and so on mould. They know they need to be serious about their business.
It was mostly a joke, but is he really that lazy? He did so well under Klopp at Dortmund, I assumed he had to have a decent work ethic to be part of that system. Also....an old-style flair player who was overhyped as a youngster and struggled for playing time at one of the top-tier clubs....sound familiar?

Rafael+Van+Der+Vaart+Tottenham+Hotspur+v+Aston+YSyASMuE0zwl.jpg

I think both you and Gatsby Gatsby make valid points.

However, knowing how boards work, DL won't want to go to the ENIC Director of Finance and Uncle Joe and ask for silly money for a speculative punt. And even if he does have the cojones there's no guarantee the board will agree - they will be very mindful of the huge capital investment project (the stadium) and will need to be confident there is enough cash to pay contractors.

I laud Gatsby Gatsby point that we should aim high, but I don't think we will be in for any player north of £30m or one who would break our salary structure. I will be very surprised if the club record fee is broken this summer, and my suspicion is that a lot of the "marquee" players named on this thread will be valued higher than we are willing to pay (because the European clubs are well aware of the EPL TV windfall).

Of course I very much hope to be proven wrong and give you full permission to make me eat my words of I am wrong; equally I'm not going to gloat if I am right (I'll be sad as a fan). It's just an opinion after all...

I don't for a second believe we'll spend more than say £25-30m on a single player, the days we did that went up in a puff of smoke in August 2013. If we get the likes of Batshuayi and Lacazette it'll for a deal around £25m. As Seven Sisters Seven Sisters said we have a stadium to fund building, a lot of the TV money and commercial deals will go into that first and foremost. I don't want to see too much of a revolving door, 3 maximum and potentially coming in around a modest £60m perhaps?

It was mostly a joke, but is he really that lazy? He did so well under Klopp at Dortmund, I assumed he had to have a decent work ethic to be part of that system. Also....an old-style flair player who was overhyped as a youngster and struggled for playing time at one of the top-tier clubs....sound familiar?
Van der vaart would not work under Poch either, but lazy isnt the correct word. Not bothered is probably better, he seems to be at ease with earning top dollars and every now and then showing the world he has a very good ability

He would be awesome in the MLS

Van der vaart would not work under Poch either, but lazy isnt the correct word. Not bothered is probably better, he seems to be at ease with earning top dollars and every now and then showing the world he has a very good ability

He would be awesome in the MLS

Loved Van Der Vaart when played for us, just couldn't seem to last a full 90. Imagine his total distant covered stats if he still played for us now! He wasn't even good enough for AVB, I'd expect under Pochettino it would have been even worse for him.

He'll definitely do well if he played for LA Galaxy.

I think both you and Gatsby Gatsby make valid points.

However, knowing how boards work, DL won't want to go to the ENIC Director of Finance and Uncle Joe and ask for silly money for a speculative punt. And even if he does have the cojones there's no guarantee the board will agree - they will be very mindful of the huge capital investment project (the stadium) and will need to be confident there is enough cash to pay contractors.

I laud Gatsby Gatsby point that we should aim high, but I don't think we will be in for any player north of £30m or one who would break our salary structure. I will be very surprised if the club record fee is broken this summer, and my suspicion is that a lot of the "marquee" players named on this thread will be valued higher than we are willing to pay (because the European clubs are well aware of the EPL TV windfall).

Of course I very much hope to be proven wrong and give you full permission to make me eat my words of I am wrong; equally I'm not going to gloat if I am right (I'll be sad as a fan). It's just an opinion after all...

I absolutely agree. Or that is, I think, you're logic is solid and there's a lot of good points that tend to be overlooked. That being said, I'd say that yet another benefit of having our current manager is that there's a much greater chance that you're wrong in this particular instance.

There's a world of difference between breaking the wage structure for a 30-something free agent or paying a huge fee for an established star in his late 20's, and then what we're looking to do (by all accounts). I'm not that fond of speaking of players in terms of investments, but that's how the board will see it to some extent. With a manager who'll play anyone who deserves to, there doesn't need to be a whole lot of Dele Alli's to make up for quite a few duds, when signing player 24 and younger. If we do invest heavily, I'd suspect, we're only dealing with clubs willing to make the deals heavily performance-based, in relative terms. If the player doesn't quite make the grade, we'll still be able to sell on with a minimal loss (unless we grossly overpaid in the first place), because a lot of the clauses won't have been activated.

Loved Van Der Vaart when played for us, just couldn't seem to last a full 90. Imagine his total distant covered stats if he still played for us now! He wasn't even good enough for AVB, I'd expect under Pochettino it would have been even worse for him.

He'll definitely do well if he played for LA Galaxy.
I ment Gotze but VDV would also kill it in the states, he's good at the media side and fan favourite aspect too

I ment Gotze but VDV would also kill it in the states, he's good at the media side and fan favourite aspect too

If Gotze could regularly put in 90min shifts it would be fine by me. By all accounts he's heading to daddy at Dippers but why he'd want to go there to rebuild his reputation is beyond me. They don't have much to offer other than silly money. No European football, no guarantee of challenging. Surely if they go for Gotze that is the end of Coutinho?

If Gotze could regularly put in 90min shifts it would be fine by me. By all accounts he's heading to daddy at Dippers but why he'd want to go there to rebuild his reputation is beyond me. They don't have much to offer other than silly money. No European football, no guarantee of challenging. Surely if they go for Gotze that is the end of Coutinho?

Doubt it, their current setup is Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana so I think Lallana will just get dropped. And Liverpool are probably the only club other than PSG willing to pay his wages. From what I've read he's getting paid 150,000 a week, that type of money should be reserved for superstars like Theo Walcott.

I'm pretty sure he isnt lost for the absolute top, just think it's taking a huge risk if we were to involve him. High profile, high price and high wage

But i know that initially it was a joke :)

I'm not that fond of speaking of players in terms of investments, but that's how the board will see it to some extent. With a manager who'll play anyone who deserves to, there doesn't need to be a whole lot of Dele Alli's to make up for quite a few duds, when signing player 24 and younger. If we do invest heavily, I'd suspect, we're only dealing with clubs willing to make the deals heavily performance-based, in relative terms. If the player doesn't quite make the grade, we'll still be able to sell on with a minimal loss (unless we grossly overpaid in the first place), because a lot of the clauses won't have been activated.
Intersetingly, I did a management accountancy course a while ago, and IIRC football is the only industry where Companies House and HMRC allow the players' book value to be listed as capital assets on the balance sheet (maybe actors was another). They absolutely are assets and the board will see them as such. The key thing is having a manager who can get more out of each player than their book value would suggest. And I agree with you in that at long last we appear to have such a manager!

:pochsmirk:

Intersetingly, I did a management accountancy course a while ago, and IIRC football is the only industry where Companies House and HMRC allow the players' book value to be listed as capital assets on the balance sheet (maybe actors was another). They absolutely are assets and the board will see them as such. The key thing is having a manager who can get more out of each player than their book value would suggest. And I agree with you in that at long last we appear to have such a manager!

:pochsmirk:

Interesting. Who determines the book value, if you know?

Interesting. Who determines the book value, if you know?
The board of directors, who are responsible for signing off accounts, will have to satisfy themselves that they have correctly valued the worth of their assets. In the same way as any other capital asset, annual depreciation / appreciation will be calculated. But it's still only guesswork until they come to encash / sell the asset and the true value is known. So we will assess the value of the stadium based on what we think someone would pay. Directors are held to account by shareholders / owners if they have over inflated the value of the clubs assets. In short, I think it's guesswork - please help me out anyone with an accountancy background?....
:pochfacepalm:

SPURS CLOSING ON SLIMANI

Sporting Lisbon striker Chico Slimani is closing in on a £15million move to Tottenham, according to reports in Portugal.

Newspapers A Bola and O Jogo have both reported that Spurs are leading the chase for the 27-year-old, ahead of Woolwich and Leicester.

Slimani, who impressed for Algeria at the 2014 World Cup, netted 31 goals in 46 appearances in 2015/16.

Would be perfect.

SPURS EYE WANTAWAY VAZQUEZ

Tottenham are reportedly keen to sign Palermo’s Franco Vazquez , who has said he will be leaving this summer.

The Daily Mirror report that Spurs are trying to lure the 27-year-old attacking midfielder to the Premier League.

And here’s what Vazquez has told newspaper Dxt Carlos Paz: “A cycle has finished, I can't give Palermo any more than what I've given.

“These were three great years, now I need a change of scene and to have new motivations, new objectives, to fight for more important things.

"The most beautiful thing was to say goodbye in the best way, achieving what we'd promised with the whole group, and this makes me happy.

“I’d prefer to continue in Serie A, because I know the league well, but I’ll evaluate all offers and then decide which is the best for me.

Wold also be perfect. :harryhmm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom