"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Via a friend of mine's Facebook page:

Some FA, met police and baddiel approved songs for today.

Jermaine Defoe, he plays for a club that traditionally has a large Jewish element in their following

Who who who let the fanbase with the higher than the average percentage of Jewish followers out

Partially Jewish fanbase army!

Sing up!

It would be HILARIOUS to sing any of those, if only show just how ridiculous replacing the 'Y-word' with ANYTHING else!

When I say Y word, I mean YID of course! In case anyone thought I meant the words 'Yes', 'Yellow' or 'Yodel'!!!!!

Hi all,

New to this forum, joined today to have a look at the views on this subject from other fans, as it is really giving me the needle.

My main crux is this was all brought to the media forefront by a certain Peter Herbert. I'll refrain from using Mr as I have no respect for this poor excuse of.A man. He has accused out fans of "casual racism" !!! WTF

Has this guy forgotten he is the chairman of the "society of black lawyers" a racist organisation in itself as it excludes other sections of society. Let alone mention that this guy is mixed race and is born of different heritages, is denying one part of your heritage over another racist, is he ashamed of his mixed heritage?

Furthermore, I don't see him campaigning against British and American gang culture films where there is excessive use of the dreaded N word, I can list at least 10 TV shows or films a day where this word is used. Should that be stopped? Should rappers and singers be allowed to say the word too, its all over MTV at night, promoting racism, degrading women and promoting gang culture! Or is this ok because these people are black and saying it to other black people, or will he hide behind the usual "ah, but we are just expressing our culture" arguement.

I'm sick of people like this guy telling everyone what they can and can't do, he's a no one who wants to make a name for himself by inflicting hypocritical rules on society to boost his own ego.

Is shouting the Y word at a football game racially aggravating? Absolutely not in my opinion, I'm Jewish, I sit in a Jewish section on the west stand, and whilst I would not sing it myself simply because I'm not a singer rather than because I am worried about causing offence, I commend our fans who do sing this as they are the passion and the spirit behind those 11 players in the pitch ands or me proud to be a spurs fan!!

Hi all,

New to this forum, joined today to have a look at the views on this subject from other fans, as it is really giving me the needle.

My main crux is this was all brought to the media forefront by a certain Peter Herbert. I'll refrain from using Mr as I have no respect for this poor excuse of.A man. He has accused out fans of "casual racism" !!! WTF

Has this guy forgotten he is the chairman of the "society of black lawyers" a racist organisation in itself as it excludes other sections of society. Let alone mention that this guy is mixed race and is born of different heritages, is denying one part of your heritage over another racist, is he ashamed of his mixed heritage?

Furthermore, I don't see him campaigning against British and American gang culture films where there is excessive use of the dreaded N word, I can list at least 10 TV shows or films a day where this word is used. Should that be stopped? Should rappers and singers be allowed to say the word too, its all over MTV at night, promoting racism, degrading women and promoting gang culture! Or is this ok because these people are black and saying it to other black people, or will he hide behind the usual "ah, but we are just expressing our culture" arguement.

I'm sick of people like this guy telling everyone what they can and can't do, he's a no one who wants to make a name for himself by inflicting hypocritical rules on society to boost his own ego.

Is shouting the Y word at a football game racially aggravating? Absolutely not in my opinion, I'm Jewish, I sit in a Jewish section on the west stand, and whilst I would not sing it myself simply because I'm not a singer rather than because I am worried about causing offence, I commend our fans who do sing this as they are the passion and the spirit behind those 11 players in the pitch ands or me proud to be a spurs fan!!

Where is this Jewish section? I'm Jewish and never realised we had a Jewish section

That can't be right, as according to David Rabbiddeil, LESS THAN 5% of our support is Jewish... and he must know!
So they can't ALL be in the West stand!

(BTW; roped off area... FUNNY!) I imagine Peter Herbert and The FA would go into fucking meltdown if that were the case!

Stuck in the West Ham carriage at Liverpool Street on the way to the lane. I guess now is a good a time as any to start singing Yid Army...

:avbwtf:

Don't know if this has already been posted here, great letter, although not sure about warmest regards:

http://www.thstofficial.com/latest-news/a-letter-from-a-jewish-tottenham-fan-to-david-baddiel.aspx#

A letter from a Jewish Tottenham fan to David Baddiel

Dear David,
Here we are again. The Y word. Or to refer to its real name, The C Word. Because as you and I both know this little problem is not about Spurs fans using the word Yid in a positive or negative manner. It’s about feeling uncomfortable at Chelsea games.

I can appreciate where you are coming from. As a Jewish Tottenham fan myself, going to Stamford Bridge is an incredibly difficult day out for me. I’m 37 and I look like a typical NW London Jew. You and I would pick each other out as Jews from 100 yards at any holiday destination on Earth. I even have a brilliant Jewish hooter to top off the look. I am what I am. Getting off the tube at Fulham Broadway though, I might as well have that yellow star sewn to my coat, because you are quite right this is not what football is about. It’s a quite vile experience and as a father of two boys, one that I won’t be putting them through until they are a lot older, if at all. To be honest though, this is your problem and not mine. We turned an insult into a positive. All on our own. The gay community did it with the word ‘queer’. It’s quite clever really. Quite why you suggest that those who turned the insult into a term of fraternity should lead the way, so those that use it as a racial insult can be told not to use it, is quite frankly illogical.

Chelsea, West Ham, Leeds. These are the three places where I have heard the gassing noises and felt that pang of nausea in my stomach. A pang you describe and which I’m sure you feel somewhat ashamed about. Be that as it may, Tottenham on a match day is probably the safest environment in England for a Jewish person. Isn’t that lovely? My family have 4 tickets and we are reform Jews. However I often give any spares to two ultra orthodox Spurs fans. They both wear kippot and one of them looks like every rabbi you’ve ever seen in your haggadah. They get cheered through the streets of Tottenham. They love it! People smile at them, chant ‘Yiddo’ at them and they wear their spurs shirts and their tzitzit with pride. How wonderful is that? In an era where there is so much bitterness and negativity, these two fellas can enjoy their football and their religion and feel totally safe. Thirty years ago that might have not been the case as the bananas hailed down on black wingers and coins were thrown at Jews to see if they would pick them up.

David, I am a huge fan of your work, but in this you are so wide of the mark that I find your view offensive. I find what you are trying to do, actually borderline anti-semetic. Don’t hide away the victims and shut them up because it makes your match day experience difficult. This is Chelsea’s problem. This is West Ham’s problem. This is Leeds United’s problem.

In Germany in 1933, SS men stood outside Jewish shops to deter anyone from entering. In 1934, buses, trains and park benches had seats marked out for us to sit on and our children were taught specifically anti-semetic ideas. In 1935 the Nuremberg Law was passed and Jews lost their rights to be German citizens and marriage between Jews and non-Jews became illegal. You know how this story ends.

In 2013 Jews and non Jews in a small corner of London, are united. Please please please, don’t f**k that up.

Warmest Regards,

Nick Cowan.

The chant yid has been said for many years at spurs games. My grandad who once worked at spurs as head 9f security said to me when I was little how can the word yid ever be classed as racist when our board is jewish and the team was founded by jewish people. We use the word yid as a badge of honour if we have to stop singing it the Woolwich fans need to stop hissing at us like its the sound of gas chambers but they wont so we will keep singing it to show our pride in not onpy our team but our board up the spurs

Not being able to sing YID with gusto, cost us the game today!

Thanks Baddeil!!! You won!

"Club Closely Associated With the Jewish Community Although Baddeil Says It's Only Less Than 5% Army!"

BOLLOCKS TO THAT CUNT!

Was a bit embarrassing today the amount of "sing what we want" chants compared to the "yid army" chants (I counted one and a half from where I was sitting - Block A...worse atmosphere than West Upper)

So there you have it... we DON'T sing what we want, 'cos some un-funny Chelsea supporting Jew with a warped sense of what's offensive and what isn't, told us not to!

But Hissssssssssssssssssssss is fine, is it?!
Brilliant!

Baddeil has single handedly set anti-Semitism back about 40 years.... self-opinionated prick!

So there you have it... we DON'T sing what we want, 'cos some un-funny Chelsea supporting Jew with a warped sense of what's offensive and what isn't, told us not to!

But Hissssssssssssssssssssss is fine, is it?!
Brilliant!

Baddeil has single handedly set anti-Semitism back about 40 years.... self-opinionated prick!
Cunt is obviously looking to re-launch his shit career, sell a book. Publicity stunt, from a cunt.
An unfunny cunt. An unfunny middle class cunt.

I didn't hear any chanting I was to busy counting the empty seats of you so called loyal spud fans lol champions league your having a laugh....imagine what we will do when we play you with strikers upfront!! typical of you lot overhype yourselves bigtime we did to you what chelski should of last week...your nothing but hot air....mr levy mr levy can you hear me your boys took a helllllluva beating lol.........now wind your necks in and stay where you belong behind the gooners lol...whufc COYI

Oh I'd love to run in to you sometime soon. You degenerate pikey cockney cunt.

Get back home and do your ironing.

:parker:

I didn't hear any chanting I was to busy counting the empty seats of you so called loyal spud fans lol champions league your having a laugh....imagine what we will do when we play you with strikers upfront!! typical of you lot overhype yourselves bigtime we did to you what chelski should of last week...your nothing but hot air....mr levy mr levy can you hear me your boys took a helllllluva beating lol.........now wind your necks in and stay where you belong behind the gooners lol...whufc COYI
Learn to english, dik'ead

Back
Top Bottom