"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Just seen the date. Unfortunately I won't be able to get any time off work in the first week of the month, so I'll only be able to come if it's at a court close to Liverpool Street and around lunchtime.

Edit: Ahh Hendon.. nowhere near.

Not this again!! ffs we just get back on track on the pitch and this crops up again. I am against any discrimination of any sort but I am an Englishman supporting an English club in the English league. Not fucking tel aviv!!
I have said before that any Tottenham fan is ok by me but all this obsession with jews gets on my fucking nerves. if i meet someone and they clock my Spurs tattoo and they say 'ah so you're a yid' I always reply 'no, I'm a Tottenham fan'. . I hope the poor sods who have been ridiculously charged will be ok. This whole yid thing just gets on my nerves.

I'm thinking about getting this banner made and just wanted some feedback. Does it convey the right message? Would it be allowed in grounds or is the 'yiddo' too obvious?

6tn6mr.jpg
Now that's a damned sight better than the THST Surfer Flag!

Do we know who's defending them?
We need a fire-breathing vicious QC type to send the CPS home crying. Can we get a rich Spurs fan to fund it?

Because if a guilty precedent is set, then we're all fucked.
Plus I'm already on a police warning... :dawsonmean:

Let's just get @ sammyspurs sammyspurs to defend them. The prosecution will get so fucked off after 3 days of continuous arguing they will simply concede defeat.

Courts don't have sin bins or ignore features right?

The whole charge is just completely ridiculous.

I find it appalling that West Ham, Lazio, Chelsea, Woolwich (that I have first hand experience of) can sing/chant/shout such blatantly racist and offensive words at us, yet no action is taken.

Disgraceful.
I think they got fined a fiver or something once?

Before people decide that they are just going to plot up at the magistrates court and protest can you give me some time to contact their lawyer Mel to see if a) she thinks that's a good idea and b) the 3 actually want a fuss made.

Oh and by the way, this wouldn't be a jury trial unless the Defence particularly requests it OR they lose and go to appeal. Now if the latter happens then with funding we could take this all the way to the high court - and that's the stage where I think proper protests would be more appropriate

Before people decide that they are just going to plot up at the magistrates court and protest can you give me some time to contact their lawyer Mel to see if a) she thinks that's a good idea and b) the 3 actually want a fuss made.

Oh and by the way, this wouldn't be a jury trial unless the Defence particularly requests it OR they lose and go to appeal. Now if the latter happens then with funding we could take this all the way to the high court - and that's the stage where I think proper protests would be more appropriate
I think there's a point to be made here that it's not just the 3 being attacked. Those 3 could have been ANYONE here, they were arbitrary arrests apart from possibly the bloke who had cocaine too unless the cops just got lucky. If a guilty precedent is set it hurts all of us, so by all means get in touch with the lawyer but I say we're standing not just for the 3 but for each and every Yid being tarred a criminal.

I think there's a point to be made here that it's not just the 3 being attacked. Those 3 could have been ANYONE here, they were arbitrary arrests apart from possibly the bloke who had cocaine too unless the cops just got lucky. If a guilty precedent is set it hurts all of us, so by all means get in touch with the lawyer but I say we're standing not just for the 3 but for each and every Yid being tarred a criminal.

With the greatest of respect though I'm sure that if you were on of the 3 you'd want your feelings on any protests to e known - it's a common courtesy.

THST haven't just stood by scratching our arse for the last 3 months - we've been meeting with lawyers and barristers and drawing up a creditable defence to this entire situation. It's very important to remember that they will initially be tried by 3 magistrates who all almost certainly know nothing about football or football rivalries and customs and making a fuss could have the exact opposite effect from what you are trying to achieve here.

Incidentally, I've just noted that, accordingly to the press, the three people in question have been charged pursuant to the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. This is implanted into S5 of the Public Order Act, as @ Abbey Yid Abbey Yid identified earlier on. S28 of the 1998 act, in layman's terms, simply requires that hostility towards an religious group be established. Since there are Jewish people who still find it offensive I think this provision of the act is qualified. As is sections 3 and 5 of the Pubic Order Act. neither the latter section, nor section 28 or the Crime and Disorder Act, require intent as a qualifier.

In short, legally, I think there is most certainly scope to prosecute for use of the Yid word as it stands tomorrow. Legally I would agree with that prosecution if we are purely talking about the legislation. Morally I am not so sure, despite being brought up to consider it an insult - mainly because I think intent is a factor in the use of the Yid word by Spurs fans, but police need not have to consider it under the present wording of the legislation.

Incidentally, s5 of the Public Order Act also contains a provision that police should arrest after failure of a potential offender to respond to a request from the police to desist. This is something people on here should keep in mind if you are ever given a formal warning from plod at a game.

Back
Top Bottom