Would you follow "Spurs B"?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would support a situation where all registered "B" teams start below League Two and can earn promotion just like any other team/league.

Unless that is what the proposed scenario is...if that is the case, ignore this post.

I would support a situation where all registered "B" teams start below League Two and can earn promotion just like any other team/league.

Unless that is what the proposed scenario is...if that is the case, ignore this post.
Well, it appears that they're proposing that the "B" teams can be promoted, but not higher than League One.

So I might be in favor of it. As always, the devil is in the details. How it disrupts or affects the existing promotion/relegation teams is key to me.

I dont understand why they don't just like, have all the reserve players, and young players, form like... their own teams right, and then get all those reserve teams, and form a sort of... like... league for reserves or something.
images

My proposal would be to keep academy leagues separate but I'd create a full league system. For simplicity, the 1st season would mirror the Football League exactly. So all the PL teams play in the Academy PL, 24 Championship teams play in the Academy Championship etc.

The fixtures would follow the 1st team schedule as much as possible, but the games would be played at different times whenever possible, to give people a chance to attend the games even if they attend the first team game. There would be promotion and relegation as normal (same numbers up and down as the men's divisions).

I would also try and get Sky / BT / whoever to televise as many of the games as possible. Obviously not everyone is a fan of TV in the modern game, but at academy level I think it would benefit the game. I think there should also be certain rules which you must comply with to play in the top division (with maybe a year or 2 grace at the start to give clubs time to comply). These would include a minimum number of games to be played at the club's main ground, and also a minimum number of seats at the academy's main home ground (so I assume at the training ground for most clubs).

That's my opinion!

Well, it appears that they're proposing that the "B" teams can be promoted, but not higher than League One.

So I might be in favor of it. As always, the devil is in the details. How it disrupts or affects the existing promotion/relegation teams is key to me.

I think its a dreadful idea.

Conceivably in 10 years time the top 6 of League 1 are all B teams - who actually gets promoted?
What happens to the likes of Sheffield Utd, Leyton Orient, Wolves... Who are big clubs struggling to drag themselves up again?

The other thing is, for me, whats the point? We already utilise the premiership, championship and leaguie 1 to develop our players - and clearly its working.

We scrapped the reserve league because it wasnt good enough, didnt offer us anything, why would this?

I dont understand why they don't just like, have all the reserve players, and young players, form like... their own teams right, and then get all those reserve teams, and form a sort of... like... league for reserves or something.

Barry Shitpeas for F.A Chairman!!!!

They need to leave the pyramid the fuck alone. Full stop.

In principle I wouldn't acknowledge any B team, including our own as the potential implications for the game are disasterous.

A standalone, completely seperate B or 'Reserve' or 'Youth' league or whatever then yep. Would like that - don't see how it's much different to what we had in the past though. Personally I think Youth (U21) and Reserve could be merged to become "B".

How about something like this:

THFC go into partnership with a financially struggling League 2/Conference side that has no hope or desire to become a Premier League club. Ownership split 50/50 with a fan group.

They supply the history and fan base. We supply a steady stream of players and financial stability. We could also supply coaches and dictate style of play.

This will all become irrelevant by 2022 anyway as we will have worked out how to genetically engineer the perfect super players so they won't need any development at all.

Then they will take over he planet with their superior athletic and hair styling ability

This will all become irrelevant by 2022 anyway as we will have worked out how to genetically engineer the perfect super players so they won't need any development at all.

Then they will take over he planet with their superior athletic and hair styling ability
:kaboullol: But at the same time :lamelashock:

So when all the b-teams get promoted they will form their own elite group? Isn't that the current reserves league?

I guess a lot of this stems from the national team under-performing and if this is the case we have to ask why? From where i’m sitting a big factor is players not being bothered about wearing the shirt and perhaps this is due to the fact they’re spoilt and only think about money?

Talking from first hand experience, being picked for my school team was a huge honour and every time I played I fought to justify my place. I watch the players in our national team and i’m just not sure if the same can be said? Some give the impression it’s their right based on fame not worth.

I used to love England games – going out with all my mates or being in a pub where everyone was cheering for the same team but now seeing the players amble around the pitch depresses me :(

So what is the real problem with the national game and will this new league solve it? I have a feeling it won’t…

I think the idea of putting B Teams in to conference is a very bad move, Non League in this country is a different ball game.

Greg Dyke is probably thinking, well, half the conference is professional anyway, so why not make it a fully pro division 3?

Most, and by that I mean over 95%, of non league clubs are a long long way from being self sustainable, usually one or two benefactors have to cover the shortfall. It boils down to mathematics, you have a fully pro squad, with coaching, that, at kindest is going to be about £22,000 per week and your average attendance is about 1200, average ticket price of about £13 (taking in to account higher adult, lower concessions) and your looking at a massive shortfall. Even for a decent semi-pro conference squad you're looking at a £10k budget.

Putting in professionally coached, massively funded players in to this environment will take away the ability of all of the existing teams ability to challenge for promotion, they will either sink to the bottom or overstretch themselves even more than they already do to compete. To be fair this is as true for League 2 as it is the conference.

The Pyramid is a very tough place to be, I think putting B Teams in to the system could spell the end for a lot of teams and create a glass ceiling between the conference and league 2.

Back to the drawing board Greg!

the talk of it being for the national side is a smokescreen. its all about the premier league tams buying up even more players and finding home for them.
the youth sides of this country are already full of foreigners, so thats not going to go away.

fat fuckers feeding their faces even more, fuck you dyke

scrap the loan system and make do with what you've got

So when all the b-teams get promoted they will form their own elite group? Isn't that the current reserves league?

I guess a lot of this stems from the national team under-performing and if this is the case we have to ask why? From where i’m sitting a big factor is players not being bothered about wearing the shirt and perhaps this is due to the fact they’re spoilt and only think about money?

Talking from first hand experience, being picked for my school team was a huge honour and every time I played I fought to justify my place. I watch the players in our national team and i’m just not sure if the same can be said? Some give the impression it’s their right based on fame not worth.

I used to love England games – going out with all my mates or being in a pub where everyone was cheering for the same team but now seeing the players amble around the pitch depresses me :(

So what is the real problem with the national game and will this new league solve it? I have a feeling it won’t…
I don't know, this post strikes me as a lot of guff. I tend not to trust arguments that appeal to emotion rather than making a careful and considerate logical argument.

If you put donkeys on the field there is no amount of heart that is going to let them compete on an even footing against the elite national teams. The English national team favors old warhorse veterans whose best days are behind them, and "flavor of the month" players that have been hyped up in the media beyond all sense.

There is some talent there, but it has been badly mismanaged by the prevailing English footballing establishment that looks skeptically upon innovation and creative thinking. "Who needs tactics when you've got heart?" might be their motto. Then, when one of those nasty foreigners has the cajones to take the job (Capello), they're second-guessed at every opportunity, cut off at the knees, and hounded out of the job.

That episode of Futurama with the genetically mutated basketball team springs to mind.

I don't know, this post strikes me as a lot of guff. I tend not to trust arguments that appeal to emotion rather than making a careful and considerate logical argument.

If you put donkeys on the field there is no amount of heart that is going to let them compete on an even footing against the elite national teams. The English national team favors old warhorse veterans whose best days are behind them, and "flavor of the month" players that have been hyped up in the media beyond all sense.

There is some talent there, but it has been badly mismanaged by the prevailing English footballing establishment that looks skeptically upon innovation and creative thinking. "Who needs tactics when you've got heart?" might be their motto. Then, when one of those nasty foreigners has the cajones to take the job (Capello), they're second-guessed at every opportunity, cut off at the knees, and hounded out of the job.

I pretty much agree with that and in most circumstances it’s true however it has to be said that many a team have performed well due to desire, look at Greece in the Euros, sure they had a decent team but they weren’t the most gifted bunch of individuals and the same can be said for many teams performing well on the big stage. I think fundamentally we’re not good enough as a group of national players but the money and attitude that comes with the Premier League seems to have replaced the desire on a national level.

I don’t believe you can have one without the other…

it's a fucking vile idea and the fact that Greg Dyke is a Brentford fan and has put this plan forward is shocking. We have the best lower league/non-league system in the world, bar none & this will completely shit on the whole pyramid. genuinely can't believe some are in favour of it.

Back
Top Bottom