Will The Board Give AVB Time ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AVB has shorter odds to get sacked than Rodgers

From the same bookies who had Redknapp odds on for the England job?

As long as Rodgers finishes top 8 above Everton he will be all right. Ted Lasso could probably do that.

Be more interested in what his odds are for next Liverpool manager. :harrylol:

From the same bookies who had Redknapp odds on for the England job?

As long as Rodgers finishes top 8 above Everton he will be all right. Ted Lasso could probably do that.

Be more interested in what his odds are for next Liverpool manager. :harrylol:
3 games. 9 points. Champions beat.

#justsaying

Other thing that hasn't been mentioned in this debate - who would replace AVB?

As I have mentioned elsewhere, AVB was in a unique position after the Chelsea debacle. A young manager who had performed incredibly in his first season, had taken a big job (with a political side he was unprepared for) afterwards and had fallen flat on his face. Let's be frank, here - whatever happens with AVB, he's either on the way up or on the way down. Not saying that he'll move on soon, but in terms of managerial stock, you're only as good as your last job, which is why the press gave him so much shit for so much of last year. I think the press only finally swayed onto his side when we beat City 3-1 thanks to his substitutions.

So that explains AVB's presence here but what about possible replacements?

Say we finish 5th, Europa League semi-finalists and a good showing in the cups but no silverware. That's an improvement in the cups, no improvement in the league (which is where Levy's eyes will be trained) and, effectively, revenue remains about par. To me, Levy may well view that as a failure and in the past he may have been impatient. But I think what shouldn't be overlooked is that AVB is in a relatively nascent period in his managerial career and the amount he learns and adds to his repertoire at this stage will be huge - in short, he should be visibly evolving in terms of style at this stage, rather be known as X or Y type of manager (see the Mourinho or SAF cliches - siege mentality and hairdryer respectively).

Regardless of any of this, look at our past 5 managers - Hoddle, Santini, Jol, Ramos and Redknapp; beside them I've listed the jobs that followed them.

Hoddle - Post England debacle and after keeping Southampton in the Premier League in a relegation battle, he joined us. After which, he went on to manage Wolves before his soccer academies and punditry.
Santini - A brief stint with us, followed by Auxerre. Prior to this, a giant in the French game.
Jol - Did well with Hamburg, taking them to 5th place and a Europa League semi final and the German league cup. Won the Dutch cup and came runners up in the Eredivisie with Ajax. Now with Fulham, not doing particularly well after we nabbed Dembele and Dempsey off them.
Ramos - Had an underwhelming season managing Real Madrid - took a big step up after us to them, but fell short. Signed for CSKA Moscow and fell short. Now with Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (me neither) in Ukraine (oh, those guys!)
Redknapp - unemployed briefly after batting his eyelids at the England job and not getting it. Now with QPR who he took down after being appointed in a difficult time for the club.

Looking at the above, there seems to be a mix of managers we get. Hoddle was disgraced post England but could have managed us anyway. Santini was a highly-regarded manager and could have done a good job if not for internal politics. Jol did well in the Eredivisie but has come back to manage Fulham...and hasn't done a great job of it. Ramos managed at Real Madrid and CSKA Moscow - two big clubs (one bigger than other, sure) but nobody would call his tenure at either a roaring success. And Redknapp has dropped to the Championship.

Based on this track record, who do we expect to get in for AVB?

If you didn't read the above, my summary is thus - AVB is growing as a manager, he could be ten times the manager he is now by the end of the year, at the cost of a year's CL. Will Levy see it that way and retain his services? I don't know. Would I like him to? Yes, in the absence of better options and as we've seen in the past, most of our managers tend to get to Spurs as a high point (not always THE high point) of their career, rather than being former European giant managers taking a step down to elevate us.

Some great points there , I agree AVB without doubt should be given a chance at least 2 years . Teams take time to built I understand that .

Although If things didn't go well and Levy lost patience , I would hope he would have a look at landrup !

We've got 6 points from 3 games, and our loss was away to a top 4 side. Not sure where all this knee-jerking has come in already.

I really don't think we're going to be in trouble this year. Although I do think AVB is the man they're looking for to create a legacy so I think he'll be given the benefit of the doubt this year IF things don't go to plan. Can't see it getting to that though, to be honest.

Not sure this thread is knee jerking mate. Our board sacked Jol after back to back 5th place finishes, sacked Redknapp after 4th, 5th, 4th and got rid of Graham after winning an FA cup quarter final.

Given the amount of money we've spent, I think there is real pressure on AVB this season. And finishing in that top 4 us going to be mighty difficult what with the way we have lost our bottle down the stretch during the last two seasons.

AVB is an excellent manger. There is no one else I would consider for the job. I believe we punched above our weight last season. Getting results at old Trafford, beating city at home and getting 3 points at the death in some games because of Bales brilliance , saw us hit a height that may be hard to match this season. AVB was responsable for this and is capable to deliver again. His job is in the hands of the gods. In any compertition you need a big slice of luck. It may be his luckyyear. The scum can't be lucky again, can they?

The scum can't be lucky again, can they?

I feel their luck has run out. Despite their win on Sunday, I felt we deserved something from the game, even though we weren't at our best. That's a measure of how far we've come, even without Bale and a number of new faces yet to settle in.

This may sound odd but maybe it was fortunate to loose to the scum. Sitting top of the league would have created so much unnecessary pressure at this early stage of the team delevopment. Although it would have generated pressure on them , for us it detrimental but the scum get stronger. Ozil transfer Maybe is a welcome distraction. We don't want to be building a team in the spotlight. Last year the scum were apparently dropping behind us . Let's leave them ahead of us and chase them maybe it's better that way.

Not sure this thread is knee jerking mate. Our board sacked Jol after back to back 5th place finishes, sacked Redknapp after 4th, 5th, 4th and got rid of Graham after winning an FA cup quarter final.

Given the amount of money we've spent, I think there is real pressure on AVB this season. And finishing in that top 4 us going to be mighty difficult what with the way we have lost our bottle down the stretch during the last two seasons.
To me the title read as 'how much longer has he got' which after three games is ludicrous. I know it's just a general discussion but it seems/seemed a bit premature at this point.

I think it's commonly accepted that sacking Jol was a mistake (certainly from fans, who knows about our board) and there's still some who support Redknapp but it's generally agreed we were correct to replace him. Graham a bit before my time, but winning a quarter final really isn't that much of an achievement if the domestic season is going poorly.

On your final point, we haven't actually spent anything. We made a few million in this window so I don't buy the argument of "we've spent X, so we should finish Y". I think the top four is easily achievable, we lost our bottle 2yrs ago because of Redknapp/England, and last year our form at the end of the season was incredible - think we only lost 2 in our last 20 or so games. Definitely didn't lose bottle, our problem was just that the scum had worldly form at the end of last season as well.

People this is spurs.

There is every chance he will get the sack before the season ends.

I really hope he will get the sack before Christmas, in order we still have the opportunity to either win something or finish in the top 6. The reality is that as soon as it becomes obvious we aren't going to finish top four Levy will have him out. This is AVB's team now and Levy will cut him no slack. Unless your Fergi or Wenger a manager is always on borrowed time, but my guess is he will be out around February.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom