who are our most important players - must keep players no matter what.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we should keep Dawson, even if just as fourth or fifth CB. He's at Spurs for ages and has a great respect and reputation within the team. I don't think his wages are too high and he won't generate a big fee so there are not many reasons to sell him if he doesn't have a problem to sit on the bench.

Dawson is not terrible, and last season was our best CB, and as captain, I expect him to lead the team out come the start of season.

While I have no problem with us keeping Dawson (though I sadly think it unlikely), I would be very surprised to see Dawson starting come August under the context of Poch's tactics. I'm sorry mate, God knows I value immensely what Dawson has done for us and that I respect your admiration of him, but he is the antithesis to the type of CB that Poch would deploy.

While I have no problem with us keeping Dawson (though I sadly think it unlikely), I would be very surprised to see Dawson starting come August under the context of Poch's tactics. I'm sorry mate, God knows I value immensely what Dawson has done for us and that I respect your admiration of him, but he is the antithesis to the type of CB that Poch would deploy.
HI Cah, you speak a lot of sense, so I always listen to you.You may be right on this, we'll see.

I remember loads of people spouting all sorts of nonsense about AVB's tactics and playing style. It was so hilarious to see how the 'experts' were soooooo wrong. Almost as hilarious as AVB backtracking and making Daws captain, after trying to shift him out of the club, expect in ways it wasn't funny, because his dumb treatment of Daws and Lloris probably cost us a CL place the season before last.

I'm now reading loads of stuff about Poch's tactics and playing style, a lot it probably spouted by the self-same gurus who got it soooo wrong re AVB.

I'm saying nothing or as little as possible on how we'll play, cos I know next to nowt about Poch's way of playing, same as with AVB previously. What I do know is Poch was less successful than Sherwood, another manager so many people are soooo wrong about.

What I can almost guarantee re Poch is that we won't play like Soton, but TBH I don't mind what we play like as long as we win something, preferably without going to the sort of cynical lengths some teams do.

Pressing, fast/slow football, long ball, short ball, up in the air down on the ground, couldn't care less.

HI Cah, you speak a lot of sense, so I always listen to you.You may be right on this, we'll see.

I remember loads of people spouting all sorts of nonsense about AVB's tactics and playing style. It was so hilarious to see how 'experts' were soooooo wrong. Almost as hilarious as AVB backtracking and making Daws captain, expect in ways it wasn't funny, because his dumb treatment of Daws and Lloris probably cost us a CL place the season before last.

I'm now reading loads of stuff about Poch's tactics and playing style, a lot it probably spouted by the self-same gurus who got it soooo wrong re AVB.

I'm saying nothing or as little as possible on this, cos I know little about Poch's way of playing, same as with AVB. What i can almost guarantee is that we won't play like Soton, but TBH I don't mind what we play like as long as we win something, preferably without going to the sort of cynical lengths some teams do.
Pressing, fast/slow football, long ball, short ball, up in the air down on the ground, couldn't care less.

You make an excellent point referring to the "tactical analyzers" saying who would and who wouldn't work, so you're absolutely right I could be entirely wrong on my estimations here. I would be very surprised to see it, but conversely I'd be the first to salute you if you've called it come August!

You make an excellent point referring to the "tactical analyzers" saying who would and who wouldn't work, so you're absolutely right I could be entirely wrong on my estimations here. I would be very surprised to see it, but conversely I'd be the first to salute you if you've called it come August!
Cheers Cahspur. You're one of my favourite posters. You, like a lot on here, mainly youngsters, know much more about what happens in the modern game here and abroad than I do.

I basically follow Spurs, and know quite a bit about us, especially our history. Results, trophies, that's what I primarily judge managers, chairmen, whoever, by.
There's one thing I agree with ole Gibbsy on, lots I don't BTW. But we both think the Tottenham Way is some street off the High Road, and should be forgotten when it comes to the football pitch.

Dawson is not terrible, and last season was our best CB, and as captain, I expect him to lead the team out come the start of season.

The issue with Dawson is our style of play and his pace. Pochettino will play a push forward kind of style and we need quick defenders for that. Personally I thought chirches was our best cb prior to his injury more so than verts or Dawson do not want to let him go.

I remember loads of people spouting all sorts of nonsense about AVB's tactics and playing style. It was so hilarious to see how the 'experts' were soooooo wrong. Almost as hilarious as AVB backtracking and making Daws captain, after trying to shift him out of the club, expect in ways it wasn't funny, because his dumb treatment of Daws and Lloris probably cost us a CL place the season before last.

I'm saying nothing or as little as possible on how we'll play, cos I know next to nowt about Poch's way of playing, same as with AVB previously. What I do know is Poch was less successful than Sherwood, another manager so many people are soooo wrong about.

What I can almost guarantee re Poch is that we won't play like Soton, but TBH I don't mind what we play like as long as we win something, preferably without going to the sort of cynical lengths some teams do.

I hear you frustration, but for me we have to have flare! Be entertaining (with Heart) be admired for our style of football, win, lose or draw. I say this because I am confident, that if this is Pochettino's philosophy (hope/think it is) then with the quality in the squad we have (minus a few. Another post!) will see more positive outcomes than not. But for me quality should NEVER be compromised over quantity. i.e results and points!

COYS!!

The issue with Dawson is our style of play and his pace. Pochettino will play a push forward kind of style and we need quick defenders for that. Personally I thought chirches was our best cb prior to his injury more so than verts or Dawson do not want to let him go.
Well we'll see what happens, but definitely Daws was better than Vlad last season.

I hear you frustration, but for me we have to have flare! Be entertaining (with Heart) be admired for our style of football, win, lose or draw. I say this because I am confident, that if this is Pochettino's philosophy (hope/think it is) then with the quality in the squad we have (minus a few. Another post!) will see more positive outcomes than not. But for me quality should NEVER be compromised over quantity. i.e results and points!

COYS!!
Fair enough, we see things differently. No problem in that.
I haven't got a clue what our team will be like under Poch, I doubt we will be as successful in the lge as we were under Sherwood, but one can live in hope.

Pressing, fast/slow football, long ball, short ball, up in the air down on the ground, couldn't care less
I am the complete opposite, i just want to enjoy our football and show some fluency and audacity in the way we play, i want us to play like we want to win - like we want to dominate. Long balls make my skin crawl, i want to see ideas and creativity

But i'd rather not see Rose except if he is playing against us for QPR

Bentaleb will be quality next season i reckon, i like him for some reason.

Our most important player:
Eriksen

Hugo Lloris is our most important player for me. We will never see a keeper like him at WHL in the near future.

Agree on Bentaleb. Exposure to the 1st team and a World Cup sets him up nicely for next season.

Having not read the rest of the thread yet. My untouchable players are:

Lloris
Vertonghen
Walker
Sandro
Eriksen

Of the rest I would like to see all the signings from last season given a second season chance as hopefully Pochettino will be able to extract what we were looking for when these players were signed.

I think with a better set of coaches, tactics and plan we should see the likes of Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho, Chiriches really come into their own. Still believe that there is a big future for Robbie and Erik with us.

Reading back up the thread about Dawson, whilst he currently is the player who I would currently call Mr 'Tottenham', I don't believe he should be in the starting 11,whilst he is a good club captain, I'm not sure of his leadership on the pitch as he's far too nice, plus his ability isn't a prime example for him to be leading unlike King who just oozed class and didn't need to be constantly talking. To say Daws was our best centre back last season says a lot about how well the others performed. Vertonghen, Chiriches, Kaboul all had injuries that kept them out for long periods and dare I say affected their performances. Even when Daws wasn't injured I would hardly say his appearances had a major affect on the team as we were still pretty bad defensively with him playing as well. Too often he got caught out or played a misplaced pass. His mistake against Fulham when he needlessly gave the ball away only for Fulham to go and score, springs to mind. Yes we gave away a record number of goals from unforced positions, but that one was midway through the season when we were still not as bad defensively.

Dawson who typifies those classic English central defender traits, blood, guts, passion are all well and good when playing the likes of Stoke and Palace, however against better sides in the league I think he is found out too easily. I love Dawson as a person and would love him to see out his playing days with us. However he is at best one of our back up central defenders.

Don't tell me, you think all centerbacks should be as good as Ledley. Even backup after a season where at one point sandro was our centerback?

Mate we need at least two centre backs as good as king to even have a chance of getting back in the CL. Vert is our only decent CB atm on my opinion.

Last edited:
Reading back up the thread about Dawson, whilst he currently is the player who I would currently call Mr 'Tottenham', I don't believe he should be in the starting 11,whilst he is a good club captain, I'm not sure of his leadership on the pitch as he's far too nice, plus his ability isn't a prime example for him to be leading unlike King who just oozed class and didn't need to be constantly talking. To say Daws was our best centre back last season says a lot about how well the others performed. Vertonghen, Chiriches, Kaboul all had injuries that kept them out for long periods and dare I say affected their performances. Even when Daws wasn't injured I would hardly say his appearances had a major affect on the team as we were still pretty bad defensively with him playing as well. Too often he got caught out or played a misplaced pass. His mistake against Fulham when he needlessly gave the ball away only for Fulham to go and score, springs to mind. Yes we gave away a record number of goals from unforced positions, but that one was midway through the season when we were still not as bad defensively.

Dawson who typifies those classic English central defender traits, blood, guts, passion are all well and good when playing the likes of Stoke and Palace, however against better sides in the league I think he is found out too easily. I love Dawson as a person and would love him to see out his playing days with us. However he is at best one of our back up central defenders.

Completely agree with all of this aside from him "being too nice." Seems to me he was the single only player on the pitch still ripping into gents who weren't doing their job even in March when we were having train ran on us by the teams above us and even throughout the latter spring when our fate had been sealed. I agree that he's physically past it and especially given our incoming tactical scheme under Poch, but he deserves credit for still demanding more from the players of Tottenham Hotspur even when we all knew our goals were no longer possible to reach.

Back
Top Bottom