Which players do we absolutely need to keep in the summer?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's a lot of people throwing names around about who should go and who we need to do our best to keep hold of so I thought a dedicated thread would be quite interesting.

Last edited:
I think your list of "definitely keep" is way too long. For me it's Eriksen, Walker, Lamela and maybe Lloris. Of course, a massive reconstruction of our squad wouldn't be good (and won't happen), but those are the only ones I would really hate to lose.

Sorry, not even a good enough or even 'useful' squad player for me. I'd rather see some kid as back-up like Fredricks. OFFLOAD ASAP!.
I'd disagree. Given the level we are at we're going to struggle to get any backup full backs as good as Naughton.

However you certainly have a point and I have edited the original post.

Last edited:
I'd disagree. Given the level we are at we're going to struggle to get any backup full backs as good as Naughton.
Come off it. I'm not engaging in this as I've been plagued by April Fool's pranks all day. We're talking about a back-up full-back here - there are literally hundreds of them out there better than Naugton.

Keep
Lloris - might be irrelevant, he is almost definitely gone.
Walker - needs competition though, his mistakes are often and costly.
Vertonghen - see Lloris
Sandro
Eriksen
Chiriches
Soldado

Frankly the rest are all players who I wouldn't be aghast if sold. That doesn't mean I insist they leave, just that I wouldn't lose too much sleep. There is bags of potential but as Rodgers, Mourinho or Ferguson to pluck three names, prove; a manager and coach is the difference between realising that potential.

Hypothetically, Sherwood remains manager and not one player will improve. Van Gaal is far more promising, that said, he could be a bastard but I would sooner a proven bastard than Sherwood.

There's a lot of people throwing names around about who should go and who we need to do our best to keep hold of so I thought a dedicated thread would be quite interesting.

I may add some and change some as the thread develops but this is just to get the discussion going.
so basically anyone who disagrees with what you have put down is a moron.

Stick your list up your jacksy then.

so basically anyone who disagrees with what you have put down is a moron.

Stick your list up your jacksy then.

Umm... No. Where did you get that idea?!? I said I might edit MY list as the thread goes on but I made the thread to DISCUSS it.

But to avoid upsetting you more sensitive types and ensure that people don't just comment on my views, but instead provide there own I'll move mine down here.

Definitely keep
  • Lloris - How could we let one of the best keepers we've ever had leave? We may struggle to keep him though with the amount the ball has ended up in our net.
  • Walker - Loyal, always gives 100% and I genuinely believe he will be one of, if not the best right back in the world.
  • Chiriches - Now his horrible agent has gone, his age, ability and pace mean he is a must keep.
  • Vertonghen - I know some of you are doubting his commitment but you're basing it on very little as his face has never shown great emotion and he's without a doubt our best center back.
  • Bentaleb - Used as a scape goat by many fans but barring those morons everyone knows this lad has the potential to be a regular in our midfield before long. He's young, never stops running, reads the game well and has shown real technical ability.
  • Capoue - Shown some impressive technical ability and is a very versatile and useful squad player at the least.
  • Sandro - A solid player to build upon, not been his best this year but he deserves at least 1 more season to reach it. Also still relatively young and a fan favourite
  • Paulinho - He's not impressed everyone but I think everyone can see he can be one of the best central midfielders in the world before long and we'd be morons to let him go willingly.
  • Eriksen - The best attacking player on our team who seems like a delightful person and at the age of 22 who knows how good he can become?
  • Chadli - He got a lot of stick to begin with but has recently shown all his doubters how good he is, very young, very committed and we have a real gem on our hands with him.
  • Townsend - May be another slightly controversial choice but he is at least a great option to have off the bench and is obviously very committed to the team.
  • Soldado - He seems very determined to show us what he can do, he rarely picks up injuries and he has shown us games of real quality. We should give him a chance in a team that is playing really well.
  • Kane - I know I rate him more highly than a lot of others but I think he could become our first choice striker in a few years and baring in mind the age of our others ones he is worth keeping.
  • Lamala - Obvious reasons.
I also think we need to keep hold of Dawson and Freidel, not to play them regularly but because they both bring leadership to the dressing room which is desperately needed. They are also both capable backups.
Should consider selling for the right amount
  • Kaboul - A very lovable character but very injury prone and looking to have maybe passed his best. I have no doubt Levy will jump at the right offer.
  • Adebayor - May be a bit of a surprise but as good as he can be he isn't the man to lead us forwards and he can't guarantee us consistency. He may also attract a decent amount of money and for the right amount I think we should let him go.
  • Sigurdsson - Could be a useful squad player but I don't think it's fair to keep someone of his quality on the bench because he doesn't fit into our team. He might also attract a reasonable offer and for the right amount we should let him test his skills elsewhere.
  • Holtby - Again a very lovable character and not many will like me for saying this but I honestly don't see where he fits. He's got potential sure but he doesn't seem to be reaching it. Also as a young star I don't think we'll have problems finding a suitor with some decent money.
  • Naughton - A very useful squad player who seems content to spend most of his time on the bench. Though for some decent money I'm sure his place could be taken by Fredericks.
  • Dembele - When he plays we look much better as a team. However saying this he's not the player to take us forwards and he may attract some decent money.
Should try and get rid of
  • Lennon - Passed his best, never seems to put 100% in anymore and we have no real need for him in the team.
  • Rose - As much as I'd like to believe otherwise he isn't good enough for the left back position and he isn't the kind of player who seems content on the bench.

Last edited:
Umm... No. Where did you get that idea?!? I said I might edit MY list as the thread goes on but I made the thread to DISCUSS it.
because thats what you said on more than one occasion, read what you posted.
Sorry but irrespective of the validity of the reason behind the subject, if you say people are morons for thinking differently to you - then in my view it doesn't deserve consideration.

because thats what you said on more than one occasion, read what you posted.
Sorry but irrespective of the validity of the reason behind the subject, if you say people are morons for thinking differently to you - then in my view it doesn't deserve consideration.
I said it twice... Once to call out people saying Bentaleb was the reason for our problems. The other time I said 'WE'D be morons' referring to the club not the supporters regarding letting Pauli go. Seriously I really think you're overreacting. I try to be careful not to slate people for having different opinions and I was careful to use 'I believe' or 'I think' as often as I could.

Last edited:
To be honest I wouldn't sell any of our summer signings. If still nothing then I'd look to sell them in January.

I'd be surprised if Brad didn't retire at the end of this season (his deals up is it not?)

I'd get rid of Rose, Naughton, Dawson and Lennon if possible with right back-ups.

Definitely keep if possible:
Lloris
Walker
Chiriches
Vertonghen- putting aside my personal opinion on his attitude he's obviously a very good player.
Dawson- Need his experience and leadership. Can't be first choice though.
Sandro
Bentaleb
Lamela
Dembele
Townsend
Soldado
Eriksen
Lennon: see Dawson
Adebayor

Guys you listen to offers on, but only sell if you get the right one:
Rose
Holtby
Kaboul: only be chase of injury
Sigurdsson
Capoue
Naughton
Paulinho

Guys that are probably gone:
BAE
Livermore
Gomes

We don't really have a ton of guys that need to go. The guys that do go should depend more on what we can acquire in the market and the offers we receive than actively shopping lots of guys like we may have done last year. There's not much deadwood really.

Back
Top Bottom