What life would be like under Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great article, underlines the key difference between a great manager and just any other manager.

I think it's been mentioned before that LvG is seen as as eccentric, but is a football genius.

I get the feeling some with see negativity in the Powerpoint tactics setup, but that's what make great teams.

But you were arguing with me a month ago about judging LvG on the exact same timeframe as Harry's first season with us!!!

Make your mind up, Sammy!!!

:troll:

No no, that's just how it started...ultimately it had nothing to do with any of that and was all about the squads...should the current squad have been proved as better, Harry would have been, ipso facto, as good as Van Gaal.

:adewtf:

No no, that's just how it started...ultimately it had nothing to do with any of that and was all about the squads...should the current squad have been proved as better, Harry would have been, ipso facto, as good as Van Gaal.

:adewtf:
''ipso facto'' - superb vocab. Bravo, squire.

I know, I'm just teasing him

Good article but have to disagree about Dawson being a stalwart in a LVG side.

As with any side that is derived from Ajax 70s total football (LVG's is an updated and more collective based system but rooted in those fundamental ideas), the high line is an integral part of the system. Furthermore, in that system many Dutch coaches have believed that CBs need to be amongst the most skilled players on the field. Naturally, Vertonghen is pretty close to the perfect archetype for a Total Football CB.

LVG is a massive proponent of a player's mentality and he often considers it more important than talent but just based on skill, Dawson does not look to be a good fit.

This also isn't a Dawson criticism post. I'm a big fan of his and think he's great when used situationally. The Dutch just don't appreciate the traditional physical hard working English center half. There's a great paragraph in the book Brilliant Orange where a Dutch player laughs about how lacking in skill Tony Adams, Steve Bould, and Steve Bruce were.

Last edited:
If we can keep this squad together and LVG does come in then good times are ahead.
He is a proper manager, one that instills belief in the team, he is like SAF in the way that he gains respect from players and the footballing public.
We will be stronger mentally we won't get turned over by 5 or 6 nil. He is everything that we have been missing for a long long time.
The players will know who is boss and be shit scared of crossing him..
Under LVG we will be a force again, but he has to come first, watch United swoop and rule English football for the next god knows how many years.

He's done 3-3-3-1 in the past. And IMO all of our best players are more central and our weak links are the Roses, Naughtons, Townsends and Lennons. In fact we have PERFECT players for that system (aka overloaded with central midfielders and CB's who can double as DM's, left backs and more).

---------------Ade--------------
--Eriksen-Dembele-Lamela--
--Bentlaeb---Pauly--Beast--
--Vertongen-Kabs--Walker-

IMO Vlad can fill in for any of the CB or DM spots. Holtby can play in any of the AM roles etc. On the flip side Walker can play in the DM spot on the right, and Kab has done a great job as a right back in the past. When it comes to square pegs and square holes, VG will make really good use of our squad IMO.

I wish Tim Tim would do something similar, but like AVB this season he is getting mugged by wingers and wingbacks and they will get him the sack.

How much time and when should they go if they do not produce the goods??

It depends if we are improving as a team.

If LvG comes in, there seems to be a lot of people who will be spunking everywhere and going doollally, talking about titles again.

Its those people who will turn on him the fastest.

He's going to Utd - or somewhere else. Football people only say to the press what they might do in six months in the hope of a better offer. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Back
Top Bottom