What a Crap Season, But

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's very possible that despite having a horrible season, and playing horrible football, with a bunch of average footballers, we may equal last years record points tally, and finish 6th at the same time. Personally I feel like it's been a season when we have been struggling against relegation, when in actual fact, with the amount of points we have accumulated we may well have qualified for CL.

I know most people don't think Timmy is not the man for the job (and who am I to argue), but when he took over we were 8th, and to be fair the only game that we have lost that we really should have won in the league, under his reign was Norwich.

We all feel pretty disgruntled, but should we ?

Yes. But not about the things you've mentioned.
What should be disgruntling people are more pervasive issues with the club which haven't changed - and don't look set to change.
They've just manifested themselves more apparently on pitch this season than 'normal'.
Sherwood is simply a short-term distraction of buffoonery.

Last edited:
Yes. But not about the thing's you've mentioned.
What should be disgruntling people more are pervasive issues with the club which haven't changed - and don't look set to change.
They've just manifested themselves more apparently on pitch this season than 'normal'.
Sherwood is simply a short-term distracting of buffoonery.

Nothing will change as long as we have a chairman with no ambition.

It's very possible that despite having a horrible season, and playing horrible football, with a bunch of average footballers, we may equal last years record points tally, and finish 6th at the same time. Personally I feel like it's been a season when we have been struggling against relegation, when in actual fact, with the amount of points we have accumulated we may well have qualified for CL.

I know most people don't think Timmy is not the man for the job (and who am I to argue), but when he took over we were 8th, and to be fair the only game that we have lost that we really should have won in the league, under his reign was Norwich.

The fact we were 8th (is that even true?) is irrelevant. It was after results against City and liverpool, teams which tim also lost too, so it skewed results. Tim hasn't done anything spectacular whilst in charge. We've never looked like beating anyone in the top 4. Saying "the only game we've lost that we should have won" is a ridiculous statement, and not even true. I expect us to be beating the gooners at home. I expect a bit of a fight against liverpool.

Then again, i don't expect someone with the username "I8AVB" to really have a fair point to make. (How did he taste, by the way?)

To put it brief: It is not the results which are dissappointing but rather the sheer proces of it, the hopeless sacking, the player power exercise, the weak board of directors and that so very golden opportunity of a season of dodgy performances from Utd, Chelsea, Woolwich City (+ Bale money + very good squad).

Re: Timmy you are being gentle but not strictly correct, as we will always need to have "should" won games over the teams we want to finish above. End of story. End then there are the cup disasters, the cringey gobshit, the whole Woolwich connection, the alienation of key players and last of all (undisputably) a string of extremely poor performances, where we have been lucky to get anything at all, e.g. yesterday.

I don't want to get into another AVB argument but TS has not improved us significantly (and not relatively to competitors) which makes the whole proces all the more pointless.

I agree with your overall point though - this season feels way worse than the sheer league points tally show. But that's it. We still need Woolwich to lose 5 pts in 2 games while winning both others. Otherwise season ambition is failed, no matter the manager.

But what? Yes a silly season. A season where we see two of the top 5 clubs going to do the double? And the others, .....two sacking their newly promoted managers (and are crap for it) and the 5th Chelsea may win the CL. It's all gone bonkers?

The fact we were 8th (is that even true?) is irrelevant. It was after results against City and liverpool, teams which tim also lost too, so it skewed results. Tim hasn't done anything spectacular whilst in charge. We've never looked like beating anyone in the top 4. Saying "the only game we've lost that we should have won" is a ridiculous statement, and not even true. I expect us to be beating the gooners at home. I expect a bit of a fight against liverpool.

Then again, i don't expect someone with the username "I8AVB" to really have a fair point to make. (How did he taste, by the way?)

I am being devils advocate here. Whilst I would dearly love to be picking points up from the top four sides, the fact is that we aren't as good as any of them, and the fact we are 6th is because we probably have the 6th best squad in the prem. Personally I don't think we have underperformed, and to be honest we haven't over performed either. With our present players I don't think it matters what manager we get, we just aren't as good as some supporters would like to think. Harry did us a lot damage, he made us a much better side that played beautiful football. We learnt to expect that, and now we are just the shit side we used to be again.

But what? Yes a silly season. A season where we see two of the top 5 clubs going to do the double? And the others, .....two sacking their newly promoted managers (and are crap for it) and the 5th Chelsea may win the CL. It's all gone bonkers?

You forgot the part where Allardyce won a Manager of the Month award, and Pulis turning Palace into a top 10 side!

I am being devils advocate here. Whilst I would dearly love to be picking points up from the top four sides, the fact is that we aren't as good as any of them, and the fact we are 6th is because we probably have the 6th best squad in the prem. Personally I don't think we have underperformed, and to be honest we haven't over performed either. With our present players I don't think it matters what manager we get, we just aren't as good as some supporters would like to think. Harry did us a lot damage, he made us a much better side that played beautiful football. We learnt to expect that, and now we are just the shit side we used to be again.
I would disagree with most of what you just said.

Firstly, last season we took points against every team in the league. This season we've lost 8 out of 8 against the top 4.
We may equal the points total from last season, but then the bottom half of the league have been worse this season, so we should have been picking up more points.
We have a better squad arguably than Everton and Woolwich, but it hasn't been utilised to full effect. A better manager could have got us top 4. Thats surely undeniable. we're only a few points off. If we'd beaten Norwhich away, and not lost to Woolwich at home, we'd be in 4th place right now as we speak.
I don't care about Harry, that was years ago now, its irrelevant. The fact is, due to terrible mis management by the board, and tim sherwood, we've ended up being lacklustre. If we were shit, If most of our squad were going to be watching the world cup from a wetherspoons this summer, instead of being out in brazil, i really wouldn't give a shit if we finished 17th, but the fact is, this season has been a write off since AVB got sacked. i haven't "learnt to expect" anything, because I'm not that much of a gullible mug, I'm sure you can't be either. But i expect people wearing the shirt to give a fuck, and give there all. I expect the club i pay my money to devotedly, to follow around the country, to be run by people who know what the fuck theyre doing.

It does fucking matter what manager we get. What a stupid thing to say. Do you think Mourinho would get the same from this squad as Paul Ince would? Don't talk shit.

I would disagree with most of what you just said.

Firstly, last season we took points against every team in the league. This season we've lost 8 out of 8 against the top 4.
We may equal the points total from last season, but then the bottom half of the league have been worse this season, so we should have been picking up more points.
We have a better squad arguably than Everton and Woolwich, but it hasn't been utilised to full effect. A better manager could have got us top 4. Thats surely undeniable. we're only a few points off. If we'd beaten Norwhich away, and not lost to Woolwich at home, we'd be in 4th place right now as we speak.
I don't care about Harry, that was years ago now, its irrelevant. The fact is, due to terrible mis management by the board, and tim sherwood, we've ended up being lacklustre. If we were shit, If most of our squad were going to be watching the world cup from a wetherspoons this summer, instead of being out in brazil, i really wouldn't give a shit if we finished 17th, but the fact is, this season has been a write off since AVB got sacked. i haven't "learnt to expect" anything, because I'm not that much of a gullible mug, I'm sure you can't be either. But i expect people wearing the shirt to give a fuck, and give there all. I expect the club i pay my money to devotedly, to follow around the country, to be run by people who know what the fuck theyre doing.

It does fucking matter what manager we get. What a stupid thing to say. Do you think Mourinho would get the same from this squad as Paul Ince would? Don't talk shit.

So if we end up with the same points as last season and haven't beaten any of the top 4, that means we must have lost more games against the lesser teams last season, which must surely be worse. If you think our squad is better than Arsenals, you must be watching a different sport. You refer to our season going backwards since AVB was sacked, when in actual fact we were 8th at that point.

Like I said, I am only being devils advocate here, and am disappointed as anyone here. In fact I have rented my ST out next year, partly because of my disappointment. As you pointed out, I do expect more effort from the players we have, and never have I seen a Spurs team with so little ambition.

Finally, what's wrong with Wetherspoons ?

...and to be fair the only game that we have lost that we really should have won in the league, under his reign was Norwich.

I'd add drawing to Hull and WBA, should have taken Woolwich to a draw at least (in PL, not FA cup), shoudl have beaten West Ham in the cup, more dickings from Chelsea, City and Liverpool. On top of that, was far too casual with first leg of Europa league against both Dnipro and Benfica.

Not even mentioning all the media cock ups (Lamela, Makalele, Sandro, Capoue, Paulinho...)

He could, one day be an okay manager for someone, but not now, and not for us. Needs to eff off to lower leagues and make something of his name.

Surely the only valid way of measuring your points total is against the rest of the leagues?

If last season we finished 1 point off 4th (with 4th universally being accepted as our target) and this season we are further away - then comparatively we have been worse.....

The teams from 8th down have been terrible this season and all have been there to be 6 pointed - in fact a mini league of the top 8 would probably look pretty similar (in terms of position) to the 20 team table.

Its a funny old game.
It is not over until it finished.
We can finish up anywhere from 4th to 7th.
Dreaming -
Everton may not get any more points.
Woolwich i hope lose every game.
We win all ours.

I'd add drawing to Hull and WBA, should have taken Woolwich to a draw at least (in PL, not FA cup), shoudl have beaten West Ham in the cup, more dickings from Chelsea, City and Liverpool. On top of that, was far too casual with first leg of Europa league against both Dnipro and Benfica.

Not even mentioning all the media cock ups (Lamela, Makalele, Sandro, Capoue, Paulinho...)

He could, one day be an okay manager for someone, but not now, and not for us. Needs to eff off to lower leagues and make something of his name.

I was only talking prem stuff. I am no fan of Timmy, but I love his passion and the fact he gets it so wrong when he speaks to the media. He is becoming a character in his own right, and whilst I don't think he will last long with us, I bet he becomes a really good manager somewhere !!

Surely the only valid way of measuring your points total is against the rest of the leagues?

If last season we finished 1 point off 4th (with 4th universally being accepted as our target) and this season we are further away - then comparatively we have been worse.....

I agree with that, however forums were filled of so called supporters last year telling us how brilliant AVB was because of the record point tally.

I repeat, we are just about to finish an appalling season, and if Levy had of spent the money when he should have, and let Harry push on, we may have been this years Liverpool.

I was pro AVB, and bought into the "project"! And the fact (apparently) DL did too, and allowed him to take control of that £100 million + investment/footballing talent, that I/we agreed with at the time confirms that! But then, then for DL to bottle it, along with a large number on the terraces. Sorry lads but its true! And eject from the whole idea and then to replace him with a GEEZER with NO managerial experience, was/is just incompetence of the highest order!

Point being, 18AVB, makes a good point. Why should we expect, anymore than we get from supporting THFC and the people that run it!!

I was anti AVB when we were a few points off top last year. Everyone was high fiving but I knew he was being mugged by the soft Spurs brigade so I started a thread about how Lennon, Hudd, Defoe etc would end up getting him fired if he continued to trust their mentaltity/form. We then went into free fall a month after that and he limped along under performing and got freshly mugged by Townsend, Rose etc etc.

Sherwood has at least given us a bit more beef for our shit wingers and winbacks to hack balls at and that is the only difference for me. I said it after the Liverpool game, whatever manager comes in has to recognize the curse of this team are a mismatch of skillsets and quality in the final third.

Back
Top Bottom