We’re part of the problem

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which fans think Emerson can't tackle or defend exactly? He's bloody good at both. He can't cross for shit but he is a very solid fullback. On character alone he is one of the first names on my team sheet.
Its really weird to me how the majority of fans seems to all agree on a scapegoat and then once he's benched or injured they seem to agree on another. The shit PEH gets on this board is insane to me.

Ergo (one of) the flaw(s) with booing.
The problem is, booing can work. See the Moura sub and Nuno. It precipitated a change (at least symbolically, you assume the wheels were already in motion).

I don’t boo, and I don’t like the fact Sanchez was the target and he’s way, way down the list of targets.

But, for example, I am surprised that Son never got some stick. For all his heroics, he’s been absolute toilet for most of the season. There have been collective groans when his name is on the sheet again. Booing him isn’t booing the player, it’s telling the management and club to get their shit together and put him on the bench.

A lot of people laugh at the threadbare ENIC demonstrations. Now, in contrast, it seems the fans are being told off for the only legitimate way they can vent their frustrations.

Jol: Levy
Harry: Harry
Poch: I honestly think Levy would have happily kept him; but Poch, players and (to whatever extent) the fan had all soured. It was merely a necessity.

When Harry was sacked the England job situation was months in the past, it was quite a shock to me when he got sacked as he had a lot of credit in the bank although from what I read later on Harry and Levy’s relationship had gone south. I would have been ok but we appointed AVB whose football at Chelsea was awful.

The problem is, booing can work. See the Moura sub and Nuno. It precipitated a change (at least symbolically, you assume the wheels were already in motion).

You'll have to remind me....

I don’t boo, and I don’t like the fact Sanchez was the target and he’s way, way down the list of targets.

But, for example, I am surprised that Son never got some stick. For all his heroics, he’s been absolute toilet for most of the season. There have been collective groans when his name is on the sheet again. Booing him isn’t booing the player, it’s telling the management and club to get their shit together and put him on the bench.

Which just brings me back to my prior post..... Booing doesn't ensure that you articulate a particular point; it's merely a non-physical equivalent to throwing a rotten apple.

A lot of people laugh at the threadbare ENIC demonstrations. Now, in contrast, it seems the fans are being told off for the only legitimate way they can vent their frustrations.

Nah, sorry... Not buying that.....That's a poor excuse. Booing isn't "the only legitimate way they can vent their frustrations." If the protests are threadbare; that's just apathy and/or lack of commitment.... Nor does it mean that fans can't articulate their actual gripes by chanting.

Other fans laughing at a poorly attended protest(*) =/= We must bully our weakest player with boos.

A doesn't justify B.

(I respect the model of demonstrations; I just find those in recent seasons lame given how disproportionate they are to the amount of gobbing off that takes place on-line during the week.)

Last edited:
Defensive errors stand out more, and thus defenders tend to take way more shit along with goalkeepers.

Majority of the players that are scapegoated end up being defenders like Sanchez, Emerson, Aurier, Dier and Davies. Or midfielders in defensive roles like Pierre and Sissoko. Whilst you can laugh off Son or Kane missing a sitter, or say that they'll get the next one, a defensive error is often times more costly so those players (some times wrongly) end up taking way more flack from the fanbase.

Also, the attackers are more often than not the stars of the team and thus the fanbases darlings. And it would take a lot of bad playing to have most fanbases turn on their darlings when they can use mental gymnastics to have a go at someone further down the totem pole instead.

When Harry was sacked the England job situation was months in the past, it was quite a shock to me when he got sacked as he had a lot of credit in the bank although from what I read later on Harry and Levy’s relationship had gone south.

We backed Harry over the tax stuff > He whored himself out for the England job and refused a new deal here > Then when clear he would get the job he obnoxiously started banging on Levy's door for a new improved contract (whist Levy was mourning the passing of his mum or something to the equivalent of that)......

Harry himself will tell you that HE fucked up.

What credit HR had "in the bank" he'd already squandered; showing he wasn't suitably committed or grateful for our backing during the tax biz.

I would have been ok but we appointed AVB whose football at Chelsea was awful.

What comes next is it's own separate matter.

Booing didn't get Nuno sacked if that's what you're referring to, and even if it did that doesn't mean fans should feel that they are the ones in charge.

I openly criticise the staunch ENIC out demonstrators because they are all inherently lazy, they haven't even bothered to follow up with their sentiment with a real protest any real action. They make a bunch of noise online but when push comes to shove they're all a bunch of keyboard warriors.

That's where the self entitlement accusations come from, you want something done but you don't want to work for it, can't be arsed to get off your backsides but you'd happily boo a player instead to show your frustrations, sorry that's shit.

What have you actually done to get these guys out the club?

Last edited:
You'll have to remind me....

Which just brings me back to my prior post..... Booing doesn't ensure that you articulate a particular point; it's merely a non-physical equivalent to throwing a rotten apple.

Nah, sorry... Not buying that.....That's a poor excuse. If the protests are threadbare that's nothing to do with the medium; that's just apathy and/or lack of commitment.... Nor does it mean that fans can't articulate their actual gripes by chanting.

Other fans laughing at a poorly attended protest(*) =/= We must bully our weakest player with boos.

(I respect the model of demonstrations; I just find those in recent seasons lame given how disproportionate they are to the amount of gobbing off that takes place on-line during the week.)
When we lost at home to UTD (3-0, think Cavani got a brace), chasing the game Nuno decided to sub Lucas rather than a defender. Huge boos. That was his last game for us.

On you’re broader point, I’m not really sure ‘buying it’ is relevant. The only way fans can voice their displeasure is by booing. You’re holding them to a standard that is impossible to meet (targeted correctly and making an accurate point).

I mean, they could send Stellini an email, but not sure there would be a response.

Excellent post.

We act like know alls and the entitled.

The last 2 managerial appointments have been for Kane but have been disastrous.

Not blaming Kane but explaining it.
I assume you didn’t mean Nuno when talking about 2 recent appointments, but rather Jose and Conte. Either way, Levy and co’s first concern is not about keeping Kane happy. Every decision ENIC make is based on a spreadsheet. Signing big name managers for £15m a year is cheaper than attending to the massive rebuild that this squad needs, whilst making it look as though they are serious about us winning something. We fans then renew our season tickets and stay docile whilst the shiny new manager attempts to clinch top 4 and keep the Champ League revenue coming in. That all Levy cares about…that and sorting out the NFL franchise.

When we lost at home to UTD (3-0, think Cavani got a brace), chasing the game Nuno decided to sub Lucas rather than a defender. Huge boos. That was his last game for us.

IIRC; there were all sorts of disgruntled chants articulated during and after than game too........

We even went into that game with it being billed as "el sackico" (for both Nuno & Ole).

On you’re broader point, I’m not really sure ‘buying it’ is relevant. The only way fans can voice their displeasure is by booing. You’re holding them to a standard that is impossible to meet (targeted correctly and making an accurate point).

I don't buy it; cos it's cobblers..... Want Levy out? Then chant "We want Levy out"..... Think Stellini is doing a crap job? Then chat "you don't know what you're doing"... These are age old chants.

I mean, they could send Stellini an email, but not sure there would be a response.

Meh.

You're being willfully ignorant here, in all honesty.

Targetting a player with boos is the only way? FAR from it......

Chant (Inside & Outside)
Mobilise.
Protest

Last edited:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

- The signings of Ndombele and Lo Celso was applauded by the fan base
- We were in disbelief that we managed to sign Romero ahead of the bigger clubs
- We dared to dream when Bissouma signed for us over Arsneal
- We cheered from the rooftops when Kulu and Bentencaur improved our squad
- We showed intent when we brought in 60m Richarlison as a backup striker
- Dele Alli was the best young footballer in the world and looked like he might get better

And now we find they spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch.

Was hiring 'Elite' coaches such as Mourinho and Conte an appalling decision?

There is clearly something rotten at the club, in the dressing room. Something that multiple coaches, the owners and the players have been unable to stamp out.
Needs a complete gutting.

A new project manager to do a proper rebuild and a new culture to emerge.

That probably means Kane, Son, Lloris, Dier, Davies, Hojbjerg all shown the door but that will never happen.

If Kane has got any sense he will force a move this summer or at best we have him for one more year.

After that I think we persevere with a declining Son and the other clowns for a while yet.

I think Levy just massively overrates this squad and is convinced a manager will solve all of the issues.

Agree, booing can work.

Hopefully Stellini has got the message that the fans don't want to see Sanchez in a Spurs shirt again. At the very least it should make him second guess making another cowardly sub like that.

Son just has way too much credit in the bank for boos this season. It would probably take next season being another complete flunk and him playing every minute again for the boos to start.

IIRC; there were all sorts of disgruntled chants articulated during and after than game too........

We even went into that game with it being billed as "el sackico" (for both Nuno & Ole).

I don't buy it; cos it's cobblers..... Want Levy out? Then chant "We want Levy out"..... Think Stellini is doing a crap job? Then chat "you don't know what you're doing"... These are age old chants.

Meh.

You're being willfully ignorant here, in all honesty.

Targetting a player with boos is the only way? FAR from it......

Protest
Chant
Mobilise.
I’m not being ‘wilfully ignorant’. Drop the passive aggressive silliness.

Booing subs and certain players is one of the unfortunate realities of expressing frustration with sporting decisions that are being made in that moment, at the game. I didn’t agree with Sanchez and wouldn’t have done it, but there are moments when it will happen.

It’s not something I would do, but you can’t on the one hand expect the stadium to be a cauldron of emotion and noise, but then, on the other hand, cry foul when the team is very, very occasionally the target.

Fast And Furious Elena Neves GIF by The Fast Saga

(Your last comment about emailing Stelllini was certainly facetious; so neither is playing a blinder here if we're being picky.....)

Sorry, I don't know what else to call it.....

Call it what you will, but you're double-doubling-down on your "The only way fans can voice their displeasure is by booing. " rhetoric even though it's patently not true and your OG 'excuse' citing protests was weak......

Twitter & forums are the perfect platform to organise, mobilise and protest..... We managed without back in the day..... Too much like hard work these days it seems.

Booing subs and certain players is one of the unfortunate realities of expressing frustration with sporting decisions that are being made in that moment, at the game. I didn’t agree with Sanchez and wouldn’t have done it, but there are moments when it will happen.

It’s not something I would do, but you can’t on the one hand expect the stadium to be a cauldron of emotion and noise, but then, on the other hand, cry foul when the team is very, very occasionally the target.

- Booing a performance at HT/FT... Not keen; but I get it.....
- Booing a substitution as it happens...... I get it, but I'm dead against it.
- Persistently booing a player when they're out there tasked with doing their best to help the team..... Fuck right off.

Back
Top Bottom