Vitesse Arnhem v Tottenham Hotspur 17:45 Thurs October 21st

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is, that end of things ought not to be a consideration. We have 11 players that ought to be committed to forcing their way into the starting XI, yet the most senior players on the night can't embrace the opportunity to do so.

We had £158m vs £5m on the pitch tonight (with no doubt a similarly astronomical wage difference)..... I don't blame, Nuno, history or ENIC(*) for tonight.

(*even the striker issue should have been at most an inconvenience)......

Whether or not one gives a crap about the ECL trophy itself; the shit we saw tonight is a common occurrence and was just as evident in the Europa league last season.
The theme is we have players who have been here too long, underperforming but comfortable in their life with the club. Winks, Dele, Davies, Sanchez are definitely in that group, the likes of Bergwijn and Lo Celso seem to be heading in that direction.

These players aren't under any real pressure. They get wheeled out for cup games that half the fans don't even care about and when they play poorly, they get put on ice until the next cup game/injury crisis, rinse and repeat. All the while, they pick up good money.

The theme is we have players who have been here too long, underperforming but comfortable in their life with the club. Winks, Dele, Davies, Sanchez are definitely in that group, the likes of Bergwijn and Lo Celso seem to be heading in that direction.

These players aren't under any real pressure. They get wheeled out for cup games that half the fans don't even care about and when they play poorly, they get put on ice until the next cup game/injury crisis, rinse and repeat. All the while, they pick up good money.

I know there's a whole list of micro-factors that one could cite if they wanna explain it away; but my stock response is the same:

I don't give a fuck.... Pull your fingers out you sloppy cunts!

Ultimately, there is no excuse....

Winks has complained about dropping out of the reckoning and wanting his England spot back....

Gio & Bergwijn have never found form here; let alone had justifiable reason to feel comfortable....

Yadda yadda....

I tried to tell folk, we do not care about this tournament. The bloke has a two year contract ;the most he can hope for is to impress sufficiently that he gets a crack at the Villa job. His brief is not to sink the ship whilst the stadium revenue comes on stream: fluke a league cup, as Levy hopes like fuck Mrs Pochettino creates enough stink that Poch gives up and takes her back to London.

Why shoot the manager again. It was THESE players that got Poch the sack.
Just think, we could have had Jose and lost 6-1 !

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE MANAGER !

I tried to tell folk, we do not care about this tournament. The bloke has a two year contract ;the most he can hope for is to impress sufficiently that he gets a crack at the Villa job. His brief is not to sink the ship whilst the stadium revenue comes on stream: fluke a league cup, as Levy hopes like fuck Mrs Pochettino creates enough stink that Poch gives up and takes her back to London.

I know there's a whole list of micro-factors that one could cite if they wanna explain it away; but my stock response is the same:

I don't give a fuck.... Pull your fingers out you sloppy cunts!

Ultimately, there is no excuse....

Winks has complained about dropping out of the reckoning and wanting his England spot back....

Gio & Bergwijn have never found form here; let alone had justifiable reason to feel comfortable....

Yadda yadda....
I agree, but this seems to be the life of the mega-bucks footballer who is good enough to tread water at Spurs, but not good enough to do much better whilst also, not being willing to move to Burnley and scrap away week after week. Just ponce about here, go off for internartional duty and enjoy yourself, come back and no pressure. The wages are in the bank, no worries, just go play on Thursday and see how it pans out. Have a little jog, don't get injured, same again in a week or two.

There is absolutely no reason to wet the bed on this. Yes the squad is in a rebuilding phase and this result is not an indication of where we are on the path.

The fact we threw a team together who haven’t played together and left the best 11 at home is an indication of its importance in the scheme of things. If Nuno wanted a result here he would have loaded the sub bench. West Ham is a much more important game.

More investment in the team is needed.

You should work for no 10 !
I can't see any problems
If we stick to our current plan, it will all work out well
Our recruitment plan is working well
Dele is an international
Winks can still recoup his place in the team
They will never sack Poch

Managed to watch the last 20 minutes. I heard Sutton and Hoddle say that was a period we showed more urgency. I didn't think we were urgent at all, I can't remember a shot. Most of the players on the pitch - for a variety of reasons - are not good enough even for this level. I don't think it is about desire at this point. We should not be playing Scarlett, he is completely out of his depth, we would be better off just playing Dele as a false 9.

I agree, but this seems to be the life of the mega-bucks footballer who is good enough to tread water at Spurs, but not good enough to do much better whilst also, not being willing to move to Burnley and scrap away week after week. Just ponce about here, go off for internartional duty and enjoy yourself, come back and no pressure. The wages are in the bank, no worries, just go play on Thursday and see how it pans out. Have a little jog, don't get injured, same again in a week or two.

Sucks, but whilst under contract ya stuck with their wages... You can't force them to leave.... Sure you can bin them off but they're still getting that contract paid in full.

It's becoming increasingly common; not just here..... Arse, Everton, United just off the top of my head suffer from this.... Other club fans will no doubt have similar complaints too (as I type this I'm hearing a WH fan saying similar about Yarmalenko's 130kpw).

This was bergs first game back from injury. I can see why he faded. The rest of the old guard just looked disinterested. Sell em all. This cup is literally their only chance to showcase skills and they all play like shit. GLC is a fraud and should be sold. Waste of time

So, do you think the issue is the players? :sonpoint:

In all honesty, the side picked should’ve been able to win today. Yeah, we need a striker…as usual, but if those players were going to do anything ever, they should’ve been able to handle this game.

The side that played didn't play well enough - no excuses.

But we lost 1-0 to a team that had just one shot on target in 90 minutes - no excuses we were pathetic and managed just 4 shots on target ourselves - however to lose once again to the only shot on goal in 90 minutes, could that be anymore Spusy?

The side that played didn't play well enough - no excuses.

But we lost 1-0 to a team that had just one shot on target in 90 minutes - no excuses we were pathetic and managed just 4 shots on target ourselves - however to lose once again to the only shot on goal in 90 minutes, could that be anymore Spusy?
Wrong way around, they had four on target to our one.

You should work for no 10 !
I can't see any problems
If we stick to our current plan, it will all work out well
Our recruitment plan is working well
Dele is an international
Winks can still recoup his place in the team
They will never sack Poch
Say That Again Bbc GIF by The QI Elves

I have to admit I was nervous when I saw the subs bench and it may as well have been made up of Football Manager regens for how familiar I was with them. Anyone who watches every Spurs game could predict that first XI was going to struggle against any team that was fired up to win.

When has there been a game in the Europa or Conference League where we've started a total B team and not had to haul on our actually good players to rescue us? I'm speaking all the way back to the Poch days here. Our second string has never been good enough. Having absolutely zero substitutes who could improve us wasn't a great idea if we wanted to win.

Back
Top Bottom