Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sure, but the constant trading of key players - at least as the book paints it - is not part of the moneyball strategy itself but rather the reality of Oakland's situation, in the context of which moneyball is applied (so at the beginning of the book Oakland have had to sell Jason Giambi to the much richer Yankees, and have to work out how to replace him). I take your point that it hasn't always worked.

Moneyball clearly isn't the be-all-and-end-all of sports management, obviously, but I think it does make sense to try to assess which skills might be over-valued in the market (being English, maybe?) vs those that might be under-valued (personality, perhaps? That seems almost to be the most impressive aspect of Spurs' recruitment recently - they're all great people as well as good players and I think we're reaping the benefits of that on the pitch).

Valuing players statistically is one thing, Moneyball as a system is another. It doesn't work as the A's have shown. The book and movie has made the idea something great, but it's a false reality.

It was the matching baseball cap that got me...

:dierno: forgot about that

garethbpink.jpg

Hard to judge, Suarez, Van Nistleroy etc where all successes in the prem. every transfer to some degree outside of the perm is a gamble but he does look very good.

You're right about that, the difference between Van Nistelrooy/Suarez and Janssen is the experience. Janssen just played 34 matches in the Eredivisie and isn't even consider the best player in the league. Van Nistelrooy played almost 100 matches and Suarez about 150 matches before they moved to the Premier League. I don't think Janssen will bring the Spurs to a higher level.

You're right about that, the difference between Van Nistelrooy/Suarez and Janssen is the experience. Janssen just played 34 matches in the Eredivisie and isn't even consider the best player in the league. Van Nistelrooy played almost 100 matches and Suarez about 150 matches before they moved to the Premier League. I don't think Janssen will bring the Spurs to a higher level.
If you don't mind me asking, what team do you support in the Netherlands?
I'm interested (& more than a little bit concerned!) in your point that he won't take us to a higher level. I get the part about lack of experience, but Alli had no top level experience when he came to us. What worries you about Janssen's ability to step up?

I don't mind! I support Ajax and focussed on Vincent in several matches. What concerns me the most is his performances against the bigger teams in the Eredisivie (Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV). In 6 matches against these teams he played 1 good match (at home against Feyenoord). He was invincible in the remainder 5 matches. He is top scorer with 1 goal more than Luuk de Jong, who failed at Newcastle United.

I don't mind! I support Ajax and focussed on Vincent in several matches. What concerns me the most is his performances against the bigger teams in the Eredisivie (Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV). In 6 matches against these teams he played 1 good match (at home against Feyenoord). He was invincible in the remainder 5 matches. He is top scorer with 1 goal more than Luuk de Jong, who failed at Newcastle United.

Invincible? Sign him up :lamelashock:

Seems to have his head screwed on about the future of his career, he will have more chances here in a better league instead of going to a shit French league for the money, I do hope we sign him, I reckon Poch will turn him into a premier league and cup goal machine off the bench or even starting

Very excited about this signing, left foot/right foot, good strength seems a very well rounded number 9 for just 21 years old.

Back
Top Bottom