Under 21 European Championship

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AberdeenYid

I'm very rarely proud of myself
The England squad has been announced for this tournament. Looks strong to me - especially the nice Spurs Spine!

What's everyone's thoughts on how the bloody English are going to get on?

Germany are the favourites, with Portugal and Italy close behind, along with England.

I personally think England will win it. Need a shower to get that sentence washed off me.

Goalkeepers: Bettinelli (Fulham), Bond (Watford), Butland (Stoke)

Defenders: Chambers (Woolwich), Dier (Tottenham), Garbutt (Everton), Gibson (Middlesbrough), Jenkinson (Woolwich), Keane (Burnley), Moore (Leicester City), Stones (Everton), Targett (Southampton)

Midfielders: Carroll (Tottenham), Chalobah (Chelsea), Hughes (Derby County), Forster-Caskey (Brighton), Lingard (Manchester United), Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Pritchard (Tottenham), Redmond (Norwich City), Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Afobe (Wolves), Bamford (Chelsea), Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Kane (Tottenham), Ings (Burnley), Woodrow (Fulham)

With the majority of them playing in the premier league you would like to think they'll put up a decent performance. Will look forward to watching some of it, should be a refreshing change from the shower of shite the seniors usually serve up.

Very experienced squad, hard to see how he'll line up as although the front is very strong, I don't think Southgate plays with a three up top, think he sticks to the common 4231.

[formation=4231, Butland, Chambers, Dier, Stones, Targett, Ward-Prowse, Hughes, Redmond, Pritchard, Afobe, Kane][/formation]

Kane playing but funny how for Barkley, Sterling, Shaw this is now below them, none of them have being doing well recently anyway.

Kane playing but funny how for Barkley, Sterling, Shaw this is now below them, none of them have being doing well recently anyway.
I agree with them not playing, as they've hardly been instrumental getting England to the finals. Would be a bit glory hunter to swoop in now.

I agree with them not playing, as they've hardly been instrumental getting England to the finals. Would be a bit glory hunter to swoop in now.

They should have been playing from the start though, as people say German uses its best youngsters. If I was 20, good enough for the seniors I would still love U21 as with England seniors being as shit as they are U21 is a more realistic shot at glory.

Found the German squad:

Goalkeepers: Michael Zetterer (Weder Bremen II), Marvin Schwäbe (Hoffenheim II) & Daniel Mesenhöler (Koln II).

Defenders: Kevin Akpoguma (Hoffenheim II), Niklas Stark (Nurnberg), Thomas Hagn (Unterhaching), Marc-Oliver Kempf (Freiburg), Grischa Prömel (Hoffenheim II), Anthony Syhre (Hertha BSC II) & Maximilian Wittek (1860 Munich).

Midfielders: Robert Bauer (Ingolstadt), Hany Mukhtar (Benfica II), Matti Steinmann (Hamburger SV), Marc Stendera (Eintracht Frankfurt), Levin Öztunalı (Weder Bremen), Jeremy Dudziak (B. Dortmund) & Julian Weigl (1860 Munchen).

Attackers: Julian Brandt (B. Leverkusen), Tim Kleindienst (Energie Cottbus), Felix Lohkemper (Stuttgart II) & Marvin Stefaniak (Dynamo Dresden).

England definitely have a stronger, more experienced squad on paper, some notable omissions from the Krauts, especially Meyer, Draxler and Arnold.

Found the German squad:

Goalkeepers: Michael Zetterer (Weder Bremen II), Marvin Schwäbe (Hoffenheim II) & Daniel Mesenhöler (Koln II).

Defenders: Kevin Akpoguma (Hoffenheim II), Niklas Stark (Nurnberg), Thomas Hagn (Unterhaching), Marc-Oliver Kempf (Freiburg), Grischa Prömel (Hoffenheim II), Anthony Syhre (Hertha BSC II) & Maximilian Wittek (1860 Munich).

Midfielders: Robert Bauer (Ingolstadt), Hany Mukhtar (Benfica II), Matti Steinmann (Hamburger SV), Marc Stendera (Eintracht Frankfurt), Levin Öztunalı (Weder Bremen), Jeremy Dudziak (B. Dortmund) & Julian Weigl (1860 Munchen).

Attackers: Julian Brandt (B. Leverkusen), Tim Kleindienst (Energie Cottbus), Felix Lohkemper (Stuttgart II) & Marvin Stefaniak (Dynamo Dresden).

England definitely have a stronger, more experienced squad on paper.

Really surprised at Germany's squad - compared to this lot from 2009, the majority of which were very good players in their club's first team.
_82043490_germany_2009_getty.jpg

Well, to be fair, that was a truly exceptional squad, many are now just too old for this years competition. However I am surprised by just how 'weak' it is, in contrast to what it could have been with the players eligible, although I don't know why they're not included, it could be injuries.

Found the German squad:

England definitely have a stronger, more experienced squad on paper, some notable omissions from the Krauts, especially Meyer, Draxler and Arnold.
Only heard of Brandt. I need to play more FM.

Found the German squad:

What the fuck is that squad!? Along with those mentioned, the likes of Werner, Leitner, Geis, Bittencourt, Ginter, Gunter, Ter Stegen, Can, Durm, Korb, Hofmann, Korb, Gnabry, Leno, Sule, Volland (who is the captain!)...all omitted?

Fucking crazy Krauts!!!

You sure that's right mate? You got a source? Simply don't believe that is the named squad. Looks like their U-20's squad to me...

Only heard of Brandt. I need to play more FM.
No mate, I follow BuLi and I've only heard of a few of them! Don't feel bad!!

What the fuck is that squad!? Along with those mentioned, the likes of Werner, Leitner, Geis, Bittencourt, Ginter, Gunter, Ter Stegen, Can, Durm, Korb, Hofmann, Korb, Gnabry, Leno, Sule, Volland (who is the captain!)...all omitted?

Fucking crazy Krauts!!!

You sure that's right mate? You got a source? Simply don't believe that is the named squad. Looks like their U-20's squad to me...

No mate, I follow BuLi and I've only heard of a few of them! Don't feel bad!!

You could well be right, I got some german article which was very badly translated, trying to find the link again (incognito mode at work...).

It surprised me too, as like you say there's some massive names missing from it.

I have mixed feelings about this - I am concerned that this will knacker our boys out, especially Harry. Obviously a tournament of this calibre will be great experience for them all, especially if they manage to win it. I shall watch with bated breath.

Back
Top Bottom