U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to go to Vietnam for a holiday heard its great and open.

My parents went there about 10 years ago. They ate fantastic food at high-end restaurants, lunch and dinner everyday, cost them 40 pounds in total for the food. The Hotels they stayed at where really cheap too.

I think Vietnam is and has been doing well economically for quite a few years, so it probably isn't as cheap now, but as long as you stay away from the most "touristy" spots it's probably dirt cheap still.

I watched all three of the Under-19s' games yesterday. We were probably the best in terms of physicality in the tournament, but were behind Japan and Roma in terms of technique. The Japanese were particularly impressive - their full team was very entertaining in the Confederation Cup and the next batch seem likely to emulate them. Roma's #10 Daniele Verde (who scored the screamer against us) really impressed me, he seemed to have that assured arrogance about him that a lot of top players have. The Vietnamese were better than I thought they'd be too, despite finishing with three losses. It was nice that we were involved in a cracker with them in the final game too - doubt it created any die-hard Vietnamese Spurs fans but just having the club involved in a crowd pleaser is always good. Great atmosphere too - reminded me of the 2002 Worlc Cup where the Japanese & South Korean fans were terrific.

So, our players. As I said, the ones who impressed me most did so through their sheer physicality rather than technical ability. The exception to this was Joshua Onomah, playing as the furthest midfielder in our 4-3-3. After some fantastic dribbling and a one-two with Akindayini, he received a harsh yellow for an adjudged dive in the box during our first game against Japan (it was either a penalty or a great tackle, definitely not a dive). A couple of minutes later his through ball was finished by Akindayini for our equaliser. He came on for the last 30 minutes against Roma when we were 1-2 down and although I can't remember anything he did off-hand, we were all over them towards the end. Against Vietnam, he was phenomenal. Run after run into their box, including this one which led to our winner. A very exciting prospect, especially as he's still only sixteen years old.

After Onomah, Nathan Oduwa was the next most impressive. He was the only player to feature in every minute of all three games, owing much to his strength and physicality. He scored a cracker to give us the win against Japan, then winning a penalty against the Vietnamese. Strong, durable and also versatile in being played on both sides of our 4-3-3.

Other players who caught the eye were:
  • Daniel Akindayini - center forward who is enormous but not great technically. Will have to improve as he plays against opponents as big as him.
  • Filip Lesniak - Slovakian holder with good positioning. Reminded me of Modric when we weren't in possession - slight build but good interceptions. Two good penalties as well.
  • Harry Winks - The only player who I felt really put his foot on the ball for us. Captained us in the two games that he started.
  • Alexander McQueen - Center back (and right back), probably the pick of our defenders and played all but one minute. Headed against the crossbar in the last minute versus Roma.
A nice little tournament to fill the void of post-Christmas games. Also good to put a few faces and styles to players whose names I had only ever read about in match reports.

I watched all three of the Under-19s' games yesterday. We were probably the best in terms of physicality in the tournament, but were behind Japan and Roma in terms of technique. The Japanese were particularly impressive - their full team was very entertaining in the Confederation Cup and the next batch seem likely to emulate them. Roma's #10 Daniele Verde (who scored the screamer against us) really impressed me, he seemed to have that assured arrogance about him that a lot of top players have. The Vietnamese were better than I thought they'd be too, despite finishing with three losses. It was nice that we were involved in a cracker with them in the final game too - doubt it created any die-hard Vietnamese Spurs fans but just having the club involved in a crowd pleaser is always good. Great atmosphere too - reminded me of the 2002 Worlc Cup where the Japanese & South Korean fans were terrific.

So, our players. As I said, the ones who impressed me most did so through their sheer physicality rather than technical ability. The exception to this was Joshua Onomah, playing as the furthest midfielder in our 4-3-3. After some fantastic dribbling and a one-two with Akindayini, he received a harsh yellow for an adjudged dive in the box during our first game against Japan (it was either a penalty or a great tackle, definitely not a dive). A couple of minutes later his through ball was finished by Akindayini for our equaliser. He came on for the last 30 minutes against Roma when we were 1-2 down and although I can't remember anything he did off-hand, we were all over them towards the end. Against Vietnam, he was phenomenal. Run after run into their box, including this one which led to our winner. A very exciting prospect, especially as he's still only sixteen years old.

After Onomah, Nathan Oduwa was the next most impressive. He was the only player to feature in every minute of all three games, owing much to his strength and physicality. He scored a cracker to give us the win against Japan, then winning a penalty against the Vietnamese. Strong, durable and also versatile in being played on both sides of our 4-3-3.

• Daniel Akindayini - center forward who is enormous but not great technically. Will have to improve as he plays against opponents as big as him.
  • Filip Lesniak - Slovakian holder with good positioning. Reminded me of Modric when we weren't in possession - slight build but good interceptions. Two good penalties as well.
  • Harry Winks - The only player who I felt really put his foot on the ball for us. Captained us in the two games that he started.
  • Alexander McQueen - Center back (and right back), probably the pick of our defenders and played all but one minute. Headed against the crossbar in the last minute versus Roma.
A nice little tournament to fill the void of post-Christmas games. Also good to put a few faces and styles to players whose names I had only ever read about in match reports.

Fantastic use of the youtube video! Great write up - cheers.

Fantastic write up, and I thoroughly agree about Onomah.

4-1 Spurs at HT.

Coulibaly first (Townsend assist) Townsend second (Kane assist) Mcevoy third (Townsend assist) Kane fourth (No assist given - solo effort)

Just to add a bit further, Kane is actually only half fit at the moment as he is still returning from the back injury.

Last edited:
My parents went there about 10 years ago. They ate fantastic food at high-end restaurants, lunch and dinner everyday, cost them 40 pounds in total for the food. The Hotels they stayed at where really cheap too.

I think Vietnam is and has been doing well economically for quite a few years, so it probably isn't as cheap now, but as long as you stay away from the most "touristy" spots it's probably dirt cheap still.
Thinking about taking the wife on a cruise up the Meikong, she not keen though so it might have to be the girlfriend!!!!

Thinking about taking the wife on a cruise up the Meikong, she not keen though so it might have to be the girlfriend!!!!

You could always go there without one, they're pretty keen on western men, even though they find us grotesque-looking.
They called my dad: "The Giant"; he's just a little above 5'11 tall!
I think they like catchy nicknames overall; the hike and canoe guide told my parents to call him "Johnny Duck".
Never told them why.

New to this thread guys, just wondering what your thoughts are as to who will be breaking in to our team in in the next few years. I know bentaleb has already been given the chance and Carrol is quality , but I have heard many good things about Pritchard, Kane and that Serbia. Defender who's name I forget. Do you thing any of then will have an impact like Townsend and walker. The reason I ask is because our youth team seems to be producing good players but I assume there are people on this forum who know them better than me. For example I had heard of Bentaleb before his performer against the arse but was pretty shocked by how good he was.

New to this thread guys, just wondering what your thoughts are as to who will be breaking in to our team in in the next few years. I know bentaleb has already been given the chance and Carrol is quality , but I have heard many good things about Pritchard, Kane and that Serbia. Defender who's name I forget. Do you thing any of then will have an impact like Townsend and walker. The reason I ask is because our youth team seems to be producing good players but I assume there are people on this forum who know them better than me. For example I had heard of Bentaleb before his performer against the arse but was pretty shocked by how good he was.

I've watched the youngsters quite a few times. I go down to the training ground quite a bit when im off work, and also attend the other games, and at our "home" ties. As well as on the tele box.
In my opinion, it is really hard to call which player is going to make it our break into our first team squad until they are actually challenged to do so, like Bentaleb.

Just last week, when we played Charlton in the reserve game, Harry Kane was a bit off the boil because he is still returning to match fitness, but today he played a stormer (From one of my sources who watched it.)
I am a bit biased because of my ties to Harry, but he will be the next one to come through to the first team squad on a more regular basis. Especially with the new formation being deployed.

I believe the Serbian defender you are referring to is Veljkovic. I don't want to comment on him too much as I havent been keeping a close eye on him, but he is highly rated on other forums and with issues Kaboul is facing it wouldnt surprise me to see him begin making the step up.

Just to throw it out there too, i've heard whispers that may or may not be true, but apparently Sherwood gets a bonus for every youth team player that is "Brought through" - what that constitutes is anyones guess. May indicate why a few youngsters are getting a shot. I'm not complaining.

Thanks bushhillspurs certainly hope our young players continue to come through as they have been, a club is so much better for producing some of its own players, look forward to seeing Harry Kane more often.

Just seen today's U21 game report.

This brought back memories...
u21s_newc_730b.jpg

Ahh Bale, before everyone sussed out he was half decent! It's actually the Clone (as I stubbornly call him). He scored today too.

If you notice the photo, Andros played and scored too. Haven't seen any "Andros is going to get sold, Tim hates him, he's been forced out the team" type comments yet, like if it were anyone else.

Coulibaly and Kane also got one
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/u21-v-newcastle-jan-14-140114/

So is the Clone any good? Or is he just a novelty because of his appearance? Not see him get anywhere near a sniff of the first team, and with JD leaving and no sign of a replacement, I suspect that we might have a bit of Yoof rotation happening.
Coulthirst and Obika are out on loan, so that leaves Coulibaly, Kane and McEvoy as prime candidates (if Timmy takes that route - he was watching the game today so I assume he might have something up his sleeve?)

He's an attacker too, so hopefully if he's anything like the previous version we can just skip out all those years of him being shit in defence and statistically never winning a game in our side

(and maybe we game recycle smilies?)
:baletroll:

Just seen today's U21 game report.
So is the Clone any good?

I don't know much about him.

Though I often do see his name on the score sheets frequently for the youth teams, and I think he's a winger too. Plus, if I recall correctly, I think @ WindyCOYS WindyCOYS said that McEvoy is one of our youngsters that may have a chance to break in our first team someday.

I really do hope so, even if it is just because he looks like a certain Real Madrista.
Regardless, I bet Windy could tell us more about Bale Jr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom