U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cga-lI8UUAAJC0i.jpg

Manchester United U21s: J Pereira, Varela, Tuanzebe, Williams, Borthwick-Jackson, McNair, El-Fitouri, Love, Redmond, A Pereira, Riley.
Manchester United U21s subs: Poole, McTominay, Mitchell, Reid, Henderson (GK).

Goal to Man Utd. McNair plays it in to Andreas Pereira, he flicks sideways for Love to find the corner from 16 yards. 0-1, 6mins.
Second goal for Man Utd as Andreas Pereira, unmarked in the box, steers past McGee. 0-2, 16mins.
GOAL! Stylianides picks out Miller, he steers the ball low into the far corner beyond the diving Joel Pereira. 1-2, 26mins.
J Pritchard now on for Miller, 67mins.
Second sub for us as Edwards replaces Sonupe, 72mins
GOAL! Edwards' cut-back from the right is converted by Joe Pritchard from close range. Goddard on for Stylianides. 2-2, 84mins.
Goal to Man Utd. Great block by Onomah on the line, ball comes out to Varela who volleys in from 18yards. 2-3, 90+3mins.
FT: Spurs 2-3 Man Utd - Cruel goal right at the end spoiled our spirited comeback.

It might be harsh, but I'm growing ever more tired of the way Ehiogu sets us up. It's so uninspiring, with no real apparent plan and so much chopping and changing.

Bright spot was Onomah and especially the dynamism, imagination and trickery of Edwards when he came on.

Let Poch (and McDermott) bring in an u-21 coach or promote McKenna (although it would be a shame, because he's doing a good job with the u-18's imo).

It might be harsh, but I'm growing ever more tired of the way Ehiogu sets us up. It's so uninspiring, with no real apparent plan and so much chopping and changing.

Bright spot was Onomah and especially the dynamism, imagination and trickery of Edwards when he came on.

Let Poch (and McDermott) bring in an u-21 coach or promote McKenna (although it would be a shame, because he's doing a good job with the u-18's imo).

I'd be hugely surprised if the situation isn't that Ehiogu primary job and concern is developing players, rather than winning matches, given our manager. I doubt, he's setting up the team on match days in a way that isn't coordinated with Poch and McDermott with the specific goal of potentially getting them ready for the first team.

I'd be hugely surprised if the situation isn't that Ehiogu primary job and concern is developing players, rather than winning matches, given our manager. I doubt, he's setting up the team on match days in a way that isn't coordinated with Poch and McDermott with the specific goal of potentially getting them ready for the first team.

It's not his win-percentage I'm annoyed about, but the fact that several players are stagnating under his guidance, all whilst the team plays turgid and slow football more often than not. Quite opposite to what Pochettino has the first team doing.

A prime example of my first point is Luke Amos (a right-footed, central midfielder). He was an England u-17 international and a carrying part ouf our u-18 team that reached the FA youth cup semifinale. Ever since his promotion to Ehiogu's u21 team he's played more than 25 games as a left-back and has stagnated heavily since then. He's not getting called up to England groups anymore either.

It's not his win-percentage I'm annoyed about, but the fact that several players are stagnating under his guidance, all whilst the team plays turgid and slow football more often than not. Quite opposite to what Pochettino has the first team doing.

A prime example of my first point is Luke Amos (a right-footed, central midfielder). He was an England u-17 international and a carrying part ouf our u-18 team that reached the FA youth cup semifinale. Ever since his promotion to Ehiogu's u21 team he's played more than 25 games as a left-back and has stagnated heavily since then. He's not getting called up to England groups anymore either.

I know what you're getting at, but do you honestly think he's moved Amos consistently to a very different position without it being a joint decision at the very least with McDermott and likely also Poch? For my money, they've decided, he has a better chance of making the grade at LB and/or decided his development would be aided by playing a completely unfamiliar position.

WindyCOYS WindyCOYS SpursLegend SpursLegend

Hey guys sure you have probably heard these questions before but currently what are you thoughts feelings on the below.

1. Marcus Edwards looks amazing, is his potential as good as people say and YouTube clips show, more importantly any word/idea on his contract negotiations?

2. Onomah has looked ok this season, Winks, Walker-Peters and Carter-Vickers have been on the bench a few times. Do you have high hopes next season for them?

3. Do your feel the youth set up is in the right place at the moment (I assume that is a yes)?

4. Any surprises from the youth set up in the future?

I know it's just your own views but always nice to hear about the youth team. Cheers guys.

Just opinions as you say, but happy to answer the questions. Interesting to see if Windy agrees or disagrees!

1. Marcus Edwards looks amazing, is his potential as good as people say and YouTube clips show, more importantly any word/idea on his contract negotiations? - he's the type of player who will always look amazing in compilations because of how he can play with the ball at his feet. But unlike some players of that nature, he seems to be gradually developing an understanding of when to pass instead of dribble, which is far more important than having the silky skills IMO. Glad to see him starting to get more game time for the U21s, and obviously equally as happy that he is impressing. No idea on his contract. I am confident he will be a star, but can only hope it's for us. Understand one of his parents may be a Man Utd fan and could be having words in his ear... but that's just training ground gossip!

2. Onomah has looked ok this season, Winks, Walker-Peters and Carter-Vickers have been on the bench a few times. Do you have high hopes next season for them? - I think all have a decent chance of featuring for the 1st team at some point next season. Obviously for Onomah and a lesser extent Winks, that is hardly groundbreaking. I would like Onomah to finally get a proper chance in his favoured central position instead of out wide. I'm not saying it will be a Dele Alli style breakthrough, but I do expect Onomah to push on next year, and think Spurs fans will have quite a different opinion of him in 12 months. The one downside of CL over Europa is the reduction in opportunities for youngsters to play, but I still think and hope we'll see all 4 of those get a shot in the League Cup. Again, hardly groundbreaking, but worth pointing out that I think Alex Pritchard will get a good shot next year too.

3. Do your feel the youth set up is in the right place at the moment (I assume that is a yes)? - a definite yes. Only negative is the performances of the U21s, but it's very much about developing individuals, and we still have a gradual flow of talent coming through right from the bottom age groups up.

4. Any surprises from the youth set up in the future? - not sure how much of a surprise this is, but fully expect Tashan Oakley-Boothe to be the next one to start getting noticed in our academy. Next year's academy intake will be made up of almost entirely players capped at international level, so any one of them could push on, but I think he's the biggest talent of the lot. Also don't be surprised to see us look at signing more players than we have done previously in the 16-18 age group in the coming months and seasons (a la Shillow Tracey, Ismail Azzaoui etc). We have the scouting network up and running to find these types of players, so I expect us to use it.

Just opinions as you say, but happy to answer the questions. Interesting to see if Windy agrees or disagrees!

Perhaps I haven't been paying attention, or I've seen it and gotten senile, but where do you get your information/opinions? Watching the youth team a lot or inside information? Not questioning you, as it was interesting info, just curious :adethumbup:

A few specifics.......

But unlike some players of that nature, he seems to be gradually developing an understanding of when to pass instead of dribble, which is far more important than having the silky skills IMO.

Surely, that's not necessarily the case. I'll agree 100% that silky skills are worth nothing, or at least, very little if you cannot spot a pass and/or there's no end product, ie. Sterling possibly being a 49m dud. But whether spotting a pass is more important than skills, if a player has sufficient of both, I'm not sure I'd agree.

I think all have a decent chance of featuring for the 1st team at some point next season. Obviously for Onomah and a lesser extent Winks, that is hardly groundbreaking. I would like Onomah to finally get a proper chance in his favoured central position instead of out wide. I'm not saying it will be a Dele Alli style breakthrough, but I do expect Onomah to push on next year, and think Spurs fans will have quite a different opinion of him in 12 months. The one downside of CL over Europa is the reduction in opportunities for youngsters to play, but I still think and hope we'll see all 4 of those get a shot in the League Cup. Again, hardly groundbreaking, but worth pointing out that I think Alex Pritchard will get a good shot next year too.

It'll most certainly by one of the most fascinating things next season to see how many of "our own" players, Poch integrate. As I've written elsewhere on here, I'll assume that Poch's comments that he wants a squad of no more than 25 holds true still. By my count, we've effectively had a squad of 23 players this season, and it's hardly unthinkable there's two more incoming senior players than there'll be outgoing.

Do you have any insight into how Poch generally views and handles intergrating youth players into the squad, when they'd actually put us beyond how many he'd like? I'd think, it would be hard to judge whether they're ready if they're not made fully a member of the senior squad. Does he actually mean 25 that he feels, he can utilize right now, but works with a larger number where some are just there for development/assessment?

Do your feel the youth set up is in the right place at the moment (I assume that is a yes)? - a definite yes. Only negative is the performances of the U21s, but it's very much about developing individuals, and we still have a gradual flow of talent coming through right from the bottom age groups up

I had a small debate with koppel koppel a few days ago in this thread, where you seem to agree partly with both of us. What's your take on Ehiogu...is he good enough and the long term solution? And Luke Amos' development and swap of positions?

Perhaps I haven't been paying attention, or I've seen it and gotten senile, but where do you get your information/opinions? Watching the youth team a lot or inside information? Not questioning you, as it was interesting info, just curious :adethumbup:

A few specifics.......

Surely, that's not necessarily the case. I'll agree 100% that silky skills are worth nothing, or at least, very little if you cannot spot a pass and/or there's no end product, ie. Sterling possibly being a 49m dud. But whether spotting a pass is more important than skills, if a player has sufficient of both, I'm not sure I'd agree.

It'll most certainly by one of the most fascinating things next season to see how many of "our own" players, Poch integrate. As I've written elsewhere on here, I'll assume that Poch's comments that he wants a squad of no more than 25 holds true still. By my count, we've effectively had a squad of 23 players this season, and it's hardly unthinkable there's two more incoming senior players than there'll be outgoing.

Do you have any insight into how Poch generally views and handles intergrating youth players into the squad, when they'd actually put us beyond how many he'd like? I'd think, it would be hard to judge whether they're ready if they're not made fully a member of the senior squad. Does he actually mean 25 that he feels, he can utilize right now, but works with a larger number where some are just there for development/assessment?

I had a small debate with koppel koppel a few days ago in this thread, where you seem to agree partly with both of us. What's your take on Ehiogu...is he good enough and the long term solution? And Luke Amos' development and swap of positions?

The 25 man squad is senior players no? Any players under 21 and from the development squad are free to be picked and not included in the 25 named. Alli and Dier are not in the named 25, along with the likes of Onomah, Winks or CCV.

The 25 man squad is senior players no? Any players under 21 and from the development squad are free to be picked and not included in the 25 named. Alli and Dier are not in the named 25, along with the likes of Onomah, Winks or CCV.

It's not in terms of the 25 players, you're allowed to register. Common misinterpretation. On that account, we're golden with our squad age. That number just happened to coincide with what Poch said a few months after he got here, because there was too many players in the squad. He wants 25 players involved with the first team. It's my understanding that most top managers consider 24-26 players the ideal squad size to have good training sessions and keep everyone reasonably happy with game time.

Hence, my question as we all know Poch likes to bring youth through, and it makes it a bit of a jigzaw, if we want to bring in reinforcements, keep the vast majority of the squad together, bring in Pritchard, CCV, Winks and others, while still keeping at 25 or close to.

It's not in terms of the 25 players, you're allowed to register. Common misinterpretation. On that account, we're golden with our squad age. That number just happened to coincide with what Poch said a few months after he got here, because there was too many players in the squad. He wants 25 players involved with the first team. It's my understanding that most top managers consider 24-26 players the ideal squad size to have good training sessions and keep everyone reasonably happy with game time.

Hence, my question as we all know Poch likes to bring youth through, and it makes it a bit of a jigzaw, if we want to bring in reinforcements, keep the vast majority of the squad together, bring in Pritchard, CCV, Winks and others, while still keeping at 25 or close to.

Like you mentioned above we have 23 senior players, which does allow for space for two more. That is muddied somewhat having an abundance of under 21 first team players. I think he will have a core number of first team players who he will coach. The fact we have so many that can come into the squad can surely only benefit as when there are injuries we can call one of the younger players to fill in.

1. Marcus Edwards looks amazing, is his potential as good as people say and YouTube clips show, more importantly any word/idea on his contract negotiations? - he's the type of player who will always look amazing in compilations because of how he can play with the ball at his feet. But unlike some players of that nature, he seems to be gradually developing an understanding of when to pass instead of dribble, which is far more important than having the silky skills IMO. Glad to see him starting to get more game time for the U21s, and obviously equally as happy that he is impressing. No idea on his contract. I am confident he will be a star, but can only hope it's for us. Understand one of his parents may be a Man Utd fan and could be having words in his ear... but that's just training ground gossip!

2. Onomah has looked ok this season, Winks, Walker-Peters and Carter-Vickers have been on the bench a few times. Do you have high hopes next season for them? - I think all have a decent chance of featuring for the 1st team at some point next season. Obviously for Onomah and a lesser extent Winks, that is hardly groundbreaking. I would like Onomah to finally get a proper chance in his favoured central position instead of out wide. I'm not saying it will be a Dele Alli style breakthrough, but I do expect Onomah to push on next year, and think Spurs fans will have quite a different opinion of him in 12 months. The one downside of CL over Europa is the reduction in opportunities for youngsters to play, but I still think and hope we'll see all 4 of those get a shot in the League Cup. Again, hardly groundbreaking, but worth pointing out that I think Alex Pritchard will get a good shot next year too.

3. Do your feel the youth set up is in the right place at the moment (I assume that is a yes)? - a definite yes. Only negative is the performances of the U21s, but it's very much about developing individuals, and we still have a gradual flow of talent coming through right from the bottom age groups up.

4. Any surprises from the youth set up in the future? - not sure how much of a surprise this is, but fully expect Tashan Oakley-Boothe to be the next one to start getting noticed in our academy. Next year's academy intake will be made up of almost entirely players capped at international level, so any one of them could push on, but I think he's the biggest talent of the lot. Also don't be surprised to see us look at signing more players than we have done previously in the 16-18 age group in the coming months and seasons (a la Shillow Tracey, Ismail Azzaoui etc). We have the scouting network up and running to find these types of players, so I expect us to use it.

I agree with absolutely everything apart from Pritchard - I'm not sure where he'll fit in. He's at the Mason/Carroll level IMO, and in a position where we're better-stocked.

I expect Walker-Peters and Walks to really push on next year, and - like SpursLegend SpursLegend says - Onomah to get some games as an 8 in lesser games hopefully. He has so much ability, we've seen only a glimpse of that in the first team so far.

A few specifics.......

I have no inside contacts at all, no. I just go down to the training ground and watch games, and sometimes that will involve talking to parents of players etc, as you'd expect.

My point was quite a general one. For example, those football freestylers you see - there's a reason they are freestylers, not footballers. You need more than ball control. I just mean to say that Edwards is more than just a wonderful dribbler, which you can't say for every player his age who has his technique on the ball.

I have no more knowledge on this than you or anyone else I'm afraid!

If the club want him to stay, I'm happy with their judgement, and assume he must be doing a good job behind the scenes. I think some of the U21 selections have been strange, but I have no idea how much of that is his own call.

Luke's Dad is someone I've spoken to in the past. He mentioned that initially the change of position from CM to full back was because of his size and late development, and designed to give him game time as at the time he was behind some talented CMs in the pecking order. That was a while ago though, so as for the current situation, I know as much as you really.

He won two awards. Good to see a loan move work out well for him. I remember him in our post match friendly last summer and he looked quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom