Troy Parrott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Those are pretty impressive figures for a player in a relegation threatened team.
They were goneski without him.
I think he has a future at THFC.

Its a tricky one because he's not done well on any previous loans (although ok at L1 MK Dons about 2 years ago where he scored 8 and had about 7 assists), and 14 goal involvements in the Dutch league isn't going to mean he's capable of getting those sort of numbers in PL. And his Excelsior form could just be a 'one season' wonder

He's aged 22, has a contract to June 2025 (and I think a Club option for a further year) and we are short of Club trained players, so I could see him at Spurs next season in an otherwise unused squad place as an extra forward. That's of course if he looks good enough in pre-season but I'm not sure he's better than some of the youngsters coming through, so it could just a one year 'squad filler'

On the other hand we need to look at how we best develop our other youngsters - Dane Scarlett, aged 20, Yago Santiago, aged 21 , Alfie Devine aged 19 but 20 in August et al.

And if Ange or club thinks its better to keep them at Spurs next season (eg Lankshear to become club trained ..... but he's pretty much out grown u21's so would need some first team involvement) then it might not be in club's interest to keep Parrott at Spurs - and Parrott might decide his prospects are better elsewhere.

But if he does move on I hope we get a big sell on clause as I don't think we'll get a fee of more than £5m or £10m for him - if we want Santiago Giminez from Feyenoord, Parrott might be the ideal make weight as Feyenoord like him (scored and got one assist against them) and he knows the Dutch league.

Excelsior finished 3rd bottom of the Dutch top division so they now go in to the semi-finals of the promotion play-offs for the division below. Each round is 2 legs so potentially 4 more games to stat pad a bit. The play-off semi-finals legs are on Wednesday and Saturday and the final is also over 2 legs on the Tuesday and Sunday of the week after. Excelsior face Den Haag next week who finished 5th in the Dutch 2nd division.

He can play any of the 3 positions upfront, has great positioning in the area, is fast and club trained and also has some experience. I think he can be an useful sub at least.

Last edited:
But if he does move on I hope we get a big sell on clause as I don't think we'll get a fee of more than £5m or £10m for him - if we want Santiago Giminez from Feyenoord
One year left on his deal, doubt we'd be able to get much, £10m seems like the ceiling, probably closer to £8m. And if that's the case it might just be worth just keeping hold of him for next season as a back up striker. At the very least we should be looking hard at him in pre season.

If we do sell, I definitely want a buyback clause included, or a sell on fee. Parrott is still just 22, and strikers these days are peaking much later than they used to be.

It's a much harder position to play than back when every team played with two CFs, which is in my opinion why so many strikers these days are peaking much later, even into their mid 30's (Benzema, Giroud, Kane, etc).

Parrott could well explode age 25, at which point we'd be kicking ourselves for letting him go for pennies. Look at Gyokeres; now at 25 he's worth £100m, but at Parrott's age he was struggling on loan from Brighton, notching up 3 goals in the Championship at Swansea and then Coventry.

Or look at Solanke, or Watkins, or Toney. Only now they are in their late 20's are they good enough to be linked with Spurs.

Parrott has good fundamentals. Need to be patient and hopefully keep him linked to the club in some regard while he develops.

Its a tricky one because he's not done well on any previous loans (although ok at L1 MK Dons about 2 years ago where he scored 8 and had about 7 assists), and 14 goal involvements in the Dutch league isn't going to mean he's capable of getting those sort of numbers in PL. And his Excelsior form could just be a 'one season' wonder

He's aged 22, has a contract to June 2025 (and I think a Club option for a further year) and we are short of Club trained players, so I could see him at Spurs next season in an otherwise unused squad place as an extra forward. That's of course if he looks good enough in pre-season but I'm not sure he's better than some of the youngsters coming through, so it could just a one year 'squad filler'

On the other hand we need to look at how we best develop our other youngsters - Dane Scarlett, aged 20, Yago Santiago, aged 21 , Alfie Devine aged 19 but 20 in August et al.

And if Ange or club thinks its better to keep them at Spurs next season (eg Lankshear to become club trained ..... but he's pretty much out grown u21's so would need some first team involvement) then it might not be in club's interest to keep Parrott at Spurs - and Parrott might decide his prospects are better elsewhere.

But if he does move on I hope we get a big sell on clause as I don't think we'll get a fee of more than £5m or £10m for him - if we want Santiago Giminez from Feyenoord, Parrott might be the ideal make weight as Feyenoord like him (scored and got one assist against them) and he knows the Dutch league.

Who do you think's most likely to carve a senior Spurs career, mate?

Troy, Dane, Veliz, Lankshear......

Who do you think's most likely to carve a senior Spurs career, mate?

Troy, Dane, Veliz, Lankshear......

At this point in time its really tricky to say, and despite all having something going for them, the answer might be none of them !

Troy, now aged 22, and physically developed, has had his most successful campaign in Dutch League, but it would be a big step up to get into Spurs squad, so imo he'd have to convince Ange he could help by having a good pre-season at Spurs - and if so be could take a Club Trained position in EL squad and could act as a sub and/or emergency striker and we could see if he might make it at Spurs. But in truth I think he needs another year on loan playing football as the main striker somewhere to continue to develop and show this season was not a one off.

Alejo is next oldest and will be 21 in September, so could be considered an u21 in PL next season but would be considered an overseas trained player in EL. I can't see him getting enough game time to develop in PL alone, so I think his best route would be a loan for a year, but the following season he'd need to compete for one of the 17 overseas trained player places in PL and EL - so he's really got to do enough next season to show that or be loaned out again.

Dane is next oldest, only just 20, and still counts as an u21. He's not played that much recently but got called up to E u20's in March and scored a hattrick against Poland u20's and then 2 goals in 30 mins in the following match against Czech u20's a few days later, so appears not to have lost his ability to step up and score goals which he's always been good at. Again he needs to impress Ange in pre-season if he's going to stay with Spurs squad next season or if he needs a loan for a season.

Will is the youngest, only just 19, and joined 2 years ago on 31 August (ie after season started), so Spurs might want to keep him at Spurs for the first half of the season, so that he meets List B criteria in EL - and if that's the case I imagine he'd play u21's and likely spend time on Spurs first team bench. If not he'd be loaned out, likely to a L1 side where I think he'd do fine as he's quite a 'unit' and scores goals provided he's playing with a goal creator, and following season probably go to Championship. He still has youth on his side and this year is top scorer in England's PL2 (u21 league) so will (no pun intended) have been noticed by clubs wanting to loan in youngsters.

So all could have a pathway to get to Spurs first team, Its just a question of showing they can play and score goals largely on loans in lower leagues and impressing Ange in pre-season games - but its not going to be easy for any of them.

Den Haag A 17:45 Wed 22nd

30 mins gone and Excelsior lead 2-0. No goals for Troy!!
My stream only just came on so I have no idea if he was involved in the goals.

Saturday 25th @ 19.00

Excelsior v De Haag - 2nd leg of play off with Excelsior 2-1 up from first leg

After that they play Emmen or NAC who drew 1-1 yesterday and play 2nd leg on Saturday @ 15.30

Back
Top Bottom