Tottenham Vs Newcastle - Sunday 27th Sept, 2pm KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Honest question, is there any point even watching football anymore?

giphy.gif

The enjoyment went a long time ago, no fans in ground really does put the nail in the coffin

Refs have always decided games, they are actually deciding them less through wrong decisions than before. Penalties for fouls and offside are now much more accurate, where before they were much more incorrect.

It's not due to VAR. It's due to stupid handball rules and poor refereeing decisions. VAR wasn't at fault for ManU's pen yesterday or not giving Brighton's dives, the ref was at fault today for giving a free kick that had nothing to do with VAR in the build up. VAR actually tried to check for an offside that that hadn't been given by a Lino, no VAR we don't get that opportunity for a correct lifeline.

Removing VAR isn't going to give us less games won and lost through bad refereeing and linesman decisions, it's going to give us more.
Regardless. The sum of it all is now detrimental.

they’ve fucked it and this synthetic version of football is soul destroying

Months of quotes. Months stupid jokes seriously can't get with the folk who looked at our squad at how we played football and thought Tanguy N'dombele was any kind of problem let alone wanting him sold.

he is brilliant on the ball, our issue is we need better defensive midfielders to allow him freedom to play and also for him to sort his fitness but you won’t get a better baller than this guy short of one or two players in the whole world.

When ref was asked to look at the VAR screen, instead of playing the whole sequence, all he got was a freeze frame of ball in contact with Dier's hand. Why no context? Surely he should see the whole play at least. And probably the dodgy free kick that led to it too. It's as if VAR wanted him to make the decision. Not saying it's corrupt, but VAR having made his/her mind up, he/she wanted on field ref to agree.

They've tried to remove the subjectivity from handball decisions, but it's impossible. You get the ridiculous technical handballs, but you haven't removed subjectivity and potential for ref bias either. Worst of both worlds.

The rest of the play doesn't matter though so what would be the point? He can't see the dodgy foul and call it back.

The problem isn't the ref it is the rule.

What would be the point of it being corrupt? You think the FA want to give points to Mike Ashley who is publicly calling them out over the Sauid transfer deal?

There is no corruption or anything wrong with what VAR did in this situation it is a complete shit rule that is the issue.

Clean Sheet (barring bullshit), zero shots against. Created shedloads.

VAR aside we were the bollocks, and if we were more like Mourinho's "clever cunts" we'd be appealling as strongly for their handballs, maybe then we get a few taken to review.

Why are we missing the point here ? The referee was asked to look at a potential handball incident which went to VAR. He looked at the monitor and saw the ball made contact with Dier's arm. He didn't 'just decide' to give the goal. He knew that under the current law (regardless of how fucking ludicrous it is) he had no option but to give a penalty. Doesn't matter which way the defender is facing or whether it was intentional or not, there was contact.
Completely stupid and killing the game but let's clearly identify where the blame lies. Not the referees who are simply applying the law but the fucking FA who created such rules.
Let's go for the organ grinder not the monkey or this will never get sorted.

Does anyone know how they come to these ridiculous rule changes? Do heads of refs like have no say? Total farce

When ref was asked to look at the VAR screen, instead of playing the whole sequence, all he got was a freeze frame of ball in contact with Dier's hand. Why no context? Surely he should see the whole play at least. And probably the dodgy free kick that led to it too. It's as if VAR wanted him to make the decision. Not saying it's corrupt, but VAR having made his/her mind up, he/she wanted on field ref to agree.

They've tried to remove the subjectivity from handball decisions, but it's impossible. You get the ridiculous technical handballs, but you haven't removed subjectivity and potential for ref bias either. Worst of both worlds.
Exactly. The foul wasn´t a foul in the first place, though I understand he couldn´t do anything about it. But then, he didn´t want to see Dier being pushed - the ball touching his arm/hand was a direct consequence of it.

I´m not going into how the handball rule is destroying football - it´s been covered, and we know it very well since that match against Sheffield away last season.

But the referee was a disgrace in the whole process and people should be talking about it.

How long before players start targeting players arms when there is no shot on goal?
Already started.
Players in uproar every time a block / corner comes in.
Playing for free kicks even more than before (See Joelinton in the build up to the pen)

Far from progressing the game, this rule takes us back 20 years, where sticking it in the mixer with a couple of big lads waiting brings a greater dividend than any time in recent memory.

Although we should be in with a shout of some international honours if this keeps up.

What is wrong with you? Expect that from Chelski or West Ham fans. Shameful.
Everything is wrong with me!!
FOOTBALL IS, and always has been a distraction from the mundane reality of life... but when life becomes the most serious, yet precarious thing we know, and football becomes the mundane distraction... and yet the reality is it's still as corrupt as the mundane reality of life... we're in a vicious cycle... and where else is there to go.... ? Except lash out at the unfairness of life and the mundane distractions it provides....?
Jeez, am I not even allowed to do THAT?
no wonder male mental health is drummed out of us, for fear of ridicule...
I'm FUCKING TERRIFIED of where our world is heading right now, ok? Is that allowed?
A poxy game at home to Newcastle was meant to provide some respite... apparently not allowed.
Sorry.

What has this got to do with big clubs ? We finished 6th, we have to play Europa qualifiers because of that, what's that got to do with anyone else? We are not the first PL team to have to do that?

2 strains to his comments....

1. Sonny injured... Says there will be more.... Blaming the shedule.

2. So-called big clubs are being helped by these rules (see Utd & Chavs Yday) and generally get a 'helping hand'; Spurs aren't part of that 'club'.

Last edited:
Oh youre right. The Kane one.

I was referring to this one which didn't seem to interest the ref/VAR.

If I made the rules, that wouldn't be a penalty either, but if we're gonna compare and contrast with Dier...

- he sees the ball coming and moves before it hits him
- there's way more distance between him and Ndombele than between Dier and Carroll
- it's his arms that stop the ball going past him and reaching Kane to put him in a goal scoring position

There's a case for it. I think we'd all be a lot less irritated if the referee had at least gone over to look at it.

If I made the rules, that wouldn't be a penalty either, but if we're gonna compare and contrast with Dier...

- he sees the ball coming and moves before it hits him
- there's way more distance between him and Ndombele than between Dier and Carroll
- it's his arms that stop the ball going past him and reaching Kane to put him in a goal scoring position

There's a case for it. I think we'd all be a lot less irritated if the referee had at least gone over to look at it.
It wasnt even in the box.

The officials are only following the guidelines. Blame the higher ups, not the refs. In this case, they're not at fault.
How can you bum-fuck your product like this and be like, "Yes, this is better... this is good now.."???

Whoever the fuck came up with this VAR handball tinkerage needs to be thrown into a fire pit, after being steeped in a vat of shit.
Probably someone high up at Sky! I refuse to believe a bunch of referees came up with this rule change.

Anyway, bullshit VAR and handball decisions aside:

I still think this was a relatively good performance and one to definitely look back on with positives. Especially that first half performance. Thought we looked comfortable defensively. The players knew when to counter, when to press and all seemed to know what was asked of them which was a million times better then what we saw against Everton and in the first half against Southampton.

Ndombele and Reguilon both to come into this side still out of those who are fit enough to make the squad. I cannot wait to see Reguilon bombing up and down that left wing, giving us another dimension.

Three games coming up now, one every 2 days or so. Regardless of priorities, big game on Tuesday. Chelsea is never easy nor would I ever say it's not important. Take this fucking anger out on them and beat them. Knock them out of the cup. Then go and knock Maccabi Haifa out of the cup and go to Old Trafford and show them who the fuck we are.

COYS

First half was nice to see. The team functioned as unit and looked like the team under Poch in his first couple years. Keeping a team in their third and controlling the tempo. Helped to have a NC team that was solely looking to get Wilson on a long ball.

I would have been happy with the 1-0, but still disappointed in the inability to create anything of note in the second. Too much quality on the pitch to leave it to the ref to make the decision.

Promising signs and yeah, Sergio is going to bring a whole different dimension to this side. Really excited to see him go at fbs and get to the touch line for cutbacks. Kane needs more service and I see him being a huge help to the side.

Was happy with Sanchez as well. Thought he was aggressive and didn't get bodied out of position by that ogre once he came on.

Back
Top Bottom