Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vic
Porro - Romero - VDV - Udogie
Sarr - Biss - Maddison
Kulu - Son - Richy/Werner

Let's get back to the team who were so good for us in the start of the season.

Move Richy to the wing or drop him for Werner.

Son as 9 and our best midfield to protect the ball ind the end is crucial
We will need to set Udogie"s alarm clock to avoid another brighton....

What?

Richarlison started 7 of our opening 10 games and in one of the games he didn't start, we dropped points...

He then didn't start the next 5 and our record was:

0 wins
1 draw
4 losses

And since he's returned back to the team we've lost just 1 game in 9...

Richy has started 16 games for us in the league and we've lost just 1 game... He starts this.
Most out wide of course.

My point was more about him playing through the middle which I thought was clear.

I am getting fed up reading comments pre match about easy wins which turn out to be nothing of the sort. Wolves were the last PL team we failed to score against last March and beat us at home, This. like Brighton will not be easy and we need to get playing like early season. I expect a tight match with us getting a close win like Brighton. Hopefully not leaving the winner as late. A further weeks training into those still recovering from injuries will see an improved performance. Even a win could see us drop out of the top 4 before we play again with the Chelsea match PP the week after.
My ADHD kicked in at that giant block of text and the only words my brain took away were “easy win”.

I agree.

Why is pace through the middle any more of a threat than pace coming into the middle from the flanks?

Your post really just reads that you don’t rate Richy so you want an excuse to drop him
I mean that’s a really silly point.

Most full backs are quick to combat pacey wide players.

Most CBs aren’t as quick / nimble, and they also dictate the height of the defensive line. It’s clear they’re going to be more worried about Son as a CF than Richarlison when deciding to play high or not.

I think it’s horses for courses between the 2, but when playing a potential high pressing team I think it’s advantageous for us to play with Son through the middle.

The “you don’t like Richy” argument is childish and unnecessary. If you don’t agree refute the tactical point I’ve made, pointless just resulting to that.

Most out wide of course.

My point was more about him playing through the middle which I thought was clear.

Why would him playing through the middle affect the way we dominate games?

The reason we aren't at the level of the opening 10 games is pretty simple. We've not had our first choice midfield three since the beginning of November, 3 months ago and haven't played the starting 11 that mostly dominated the opening 10 games since that very same month.

Why would him playing through the middle affect the way we dominate games?

The reason we aren't at the level of the opening 10 games is pretty simple. We've not had our first choice midfield three since the beginning of November, 3 months ago and haven't played the starting 11 that mostly dominated the opening 10 games since that very same month.
I mean I’ve not said it’s “exclusively” because of that as my initial post confirmed, but we have looked very susceptible to aggressive pressing for a period of games now.

Bissouma makes a huge difference, I’m not debating that in the slightest. But that initial run of good form largely came with Son through the middle.

Any CB would feel far more comfortable pushing a high line against Richarlison than Son. Surely that’s not up for debate right? Richy’s form has been exceptional but there’s undoubted logic to opposing CBs being concerned with Son’s pace in behind, and therefore allowing more space for our MF to operate in.

Let’s see, I don’t expect Richy to be dropped or moved from CF so the proof will be in the pudding. But I very believe in horses for courses with our CF options, and any team with a high press seems to favour Son for me. 👍

I mean that’s a really silly point.

Most full backs are quick to combat pacey wide players.

Most CBs aren’t as quick / nimble, and they also dictate the height of the defensive line. It’s clear they’re going to be more worried about Son as a CF than Richarlison when deciding to play high or not.

I think it’s horses for courses between the 2, but when playing a potential high pressing team I think it’s advantageous for us to play with Son through the middle.

The “you don’t like Richy” argument is childish and unnecessary. If you don’t agree refute the tactical point I’ve made, pointless just resulting to that.
If you are saying there are teams where Son through the middle makes sense, you are right.

That fa cup semi at hillsborough is scary to watch. Pity lessons weren’t learned.
I was standing behind the goal and it was pretty bad, squashing people in.
IIRC, we couldn't get a drink anywhere before the game and we didn't try to get in by storming the gates. It definitely could have been a lot worse.

We're starting to have something that vaguely resembles a full squad now and I think the Brighton result is testament to our improved squad depth. I'd like us to push on and get an emphatic home win. I'm thinking 3-0.

Back
Top Bottom