Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I take it you also blame Spurs fans for what happened in the same ground 8 years earlier?

And if you know your history...

Don't talk to me about knowing my History, I'm fully aware of what happened that day at Hillsborough.

And please don't compare the two, there is a slight difference, 96 lives in fact.

Plum.

You're either a foetus waiting to be born who has somehow got a smart phone and wifi in your mums womb or you are a massive plum.

I'm going plum. You plum.
Wrong, I'm a foetus. And not entirely serious in the first place. That moment is a microcosm of the season at large though and served as the perfect little summation of everything that (hasn't) happened.

I will always honour a minute's silence/applause, no matter what it's for, as its only common decency, and how difficult is it to keep it buttoned for a minute, for pete's sake? However I do believe that there were many guilty parties at Hillsborough, which unfortunately includes Liverpool supporters who rushed the gates and caused the crush in the first place. Like in all tragedies, people don't think of the possible consequences of their actions. Don't forget this was a time when all football supporters were regarded as drunken hooligans and stadia were surrounded by high fences. However, you have to feel sympathy for the families who lose loved ones, in any circumstances. But for the grace of God......

I will always honour a minute's silence/applause, no matter what it's for, as its only common decency, and how difficult is it to keep it buttoned for a minute, for pete's sake? However I do believe that there were many guilty parties at Hillsborough, which unfortunately includes Liverpool supporters who rushed the gates and caused the crush in the first place. Like in all tragedies, people don't think of the possible consequences of their actions. Don't forget this was a time when all football supporters were regarded as drunken hooligans and stadia were surrounded by high fences. However, you have to feel sympathy for the families who lose loved ones, in any circumstances. But for the grace of God......

Fair points Mrs P..

I was a doubter too, but Id love him to get a good run.

Thats the downside of getting someone like LvG in..players like Kane, Naughton, Carroll etc wont get a look in IMO

On the contrary LvG is renowned for trying to make players within the club better before going out to buy replacements. If anything the players you describe may flourish further.

, i've got no problem with you disagreeing with my post but at least offer some form of discussion as to why you disagree.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but just calling someone a Dick because they don't agree with your opinion is not really a reasonable discussion.
Liverpool ARE partly responsible for what happened at Hillsborough, even some of their own fans will tell you that..
as for Heysel, well I think it's clear for everyone to see who's at fault for that tragedy.

I don't need to Bill. In the same way I don't have to justify a funny or agree.

But you are a decent bloke so I will. Hillsborough was a disaster that could have been averted. Christsake I know blokes that were in the lepping lane when we were there and nearly had the same incident. How would you feel if 96 of us had died? I honestly can't believe I have to explain this to a grown man.

Its simple respect.

The Bradford fire was commemorated by the way. As has Heysel.

But you are a decent bloke so I will. Hillsborough was a disaster that could have been averted. Christsake I know blokes that were in the lepping lane when we were there and nearly had the same incident. How would you feel if 96 of us had died? I honestly can't believe I have to explain this to a grown man.

Its simple respect.

Every year? The same coverage?

Grief should be personal.

I was in the main stand at Hillsborough for the semi-final against Wolves and watched a disastrous situation developing! Spurs supporters, who seemed to be in the vast majority, were crammed into the Leppings Lane end, whilst the Wolves supporters had the larger area at the other end of the ground. It was only the fact that the police opened the gates in the fence surrounding the pitch that death and injury was averted on that occasion! View any of the videos on YouTube.

I would never disrespect a mins silence etc. But with regards to the tragedy itself, I have no "interest", for want of a better word, in it. I was not even born when it happened for example and I do get a bit sick of it being rammed down our throats so often. It gets more coverage than bloody remembrance day for gods sake.

Football wise, Eriksen is classsss.

I was in the main stand at Hillsborough for the semi-final against Wolves and watched a disastrous situation developing! Spurs supporters, who seemed to be in the vast majority, were crammed into the Leppings Lane end, whilst the Wolves supporters had the larger area at the other end of the ground. It was only the fact that the police opened the gates in the fence surrounding the pitch that death and injury was averted on that occasion! View any of the videos on YouTube.

Without getting too political i Blame thatcher. The police were all powerful then and we were treat like animals.

The hooligans have a lot to answer for because of this but the police were the criminals here.

Its simple respect.

I would feel just as bad as I do for the 96 Liverpool fans, that's the thing, 96 lives are 96 lives, no matter who they support.. The way Liverpool go on these 96 are the only ones that matter.
They do indeed matter but so do the others that have died in stadium tragedies or any other tragedy for that matter.
The whole point I am making is the fact that this is forced upon us more than any other.. I don't remember every game starting late on the 25th anniversary of The Bradford fire, or any club wearing black armbands. I don't remember any form of respect on the 25th anniversary for the 40 Italians that died at Heysel..
They are all terrible tragedies but one is made out to be worse than the others.

I did think the black arm bands were a bit much.

What's the difference between a cow and a tragedy?

A scouser knows how to milk a tragedy.

Etc. but this is hugely important. It could have been averted easily. People went to a football match and didn't come home. Innocent people. Because of them we now have world class stadia. Yeah I said stadia.

That's why.

I did think the black arm bands were a bit much.

What's the difference between a cow and a tragedy?

A scouser knows how to milk a tragedy.

Etc. but this is hugely important. It could have been averted easily. People went to a football match and didn't come home. Innocent people. Because of them we now have world class stadia. Yeah I said stadia.

That's why.

I agree, this could have and should have been averted. It is an awful awful tragedy. We were away to Wimbledon when the news of this came filtering through, I can remember people talking about the same thing happening there in the 81 semi final..

Its not each year. You just see the headlines that drip drip away because a modern day scandal has been caught out.

You are cleverer than to rail against something like this
Its about showing respect for those who died and those who continue to be impacted by this.
I also support those who do not wish to particpate in remmemberance services, but Audere is right in that it cannot be swept under the carpet by those in authority who fucked up!!

Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman I agree with all you said. The thing that irritates me the most is that the parents of young ones that died that day don't seem to be allowed to grieve and move on.

This incessant bringing up of the past just doesn't allow them to have closure or move on. I may be very wrong in saying that, but watching news footage of parents walking into their child's bedroom, still untouched to this day, and the outside of their houses swamped in flowers, scarfs and messages every single year... It's not healthy, and completely unfair of all the public mourners who actually lost nobody that day.

Regardless of whether we have inquiries ad infinitum, these people should be afforded a little peace, though I'm sure that, stuck in the middle of it all they'd probably scream blue murder if actually said to them, Stockholm Syndrome and all that.

I will go against the grain a bit here by saying that I actually have a soft spot for Liverpool- the place, not the football team- and its people. Whenever I've gone up there to watch Spurs play Liverpool or Everton, I've always found the locals very hospitable, (though I understand it was a pretty scary place to go away back in the 80s when I was still in nappies). I've also found Liverpool in particular quite respectful of us, for instance with the banner for Darren Alexander this year. Even when they beat us 5-0 at the Lane earlier in the season their fans did not take the piss like a lot of others would have done. Let's not forget that the city suffered hugely from the Thatcher government, who wanted it literally to perish; their policy of 'managed decline' came out in released documents a couple of years ago. It's no wonder that they have an us and them mentality regarding the rest of the country, which as a yid I can empathise with...everyone hates us as well (and I wouldn't have it any other way).

Regarding Hillsborough, I can understand the argument that the minute's silence has become, in general, too commonplace, such that it is losing its value. There is a good argument that it should be left for the most serious times, e.g. the death of Billy Nick, Hillsborough the week after it had actually happened etc. However, I think it is very right that we are still talking about Hillsborough. I'm not saying that it is right that Bradford and Heysel have been forgotten about but considering the cover-up, the way fans were treated back then and the way we are still treated NOW, it is in all of our interests to keep Hillsborough in the public discourse in some way or other.

I'm with BushHillSpurs BushHillSpurs Why do we have a minutes silence time and time again for the 96 who died?
Why don't we hold a minutes silence for the 40 Juventus fans who were killed at Heysel?
Or the poor Bastards that died at Bradford?
Why is so much made of this tragedy as if it's worse than any other tragedy?
They are all equally a massive tragedy as is any loss of life but as Bushill Spurs said, this one in particular is rammed down our throats more than any of the others..
Liverpool are not innocent in the Hillsborough disaster and are gulity of the Heysel disaster lets not forget that..
They dragged this country through the mud with their antics and yet we are supposed to bow down and kiss their Arses over Hillsborough..
I have massive sympathy for those who died at Hillsborough and their families but Fuck off Liverpool your fans are partly to blame for what happened.
strange isn't it - that the link between the Juventus fans and the Liverpool fans is often ignored ie that they were all killed by Liverpool fans. When you read some of the stuff that comes out of the mouths of these grieving fans you get the impression that there was a 2000 strong army of policemen relentlessly crushing them to death. Perhaps if the momentum of rememberance is maintained, there is a hope that everyone will actually stop remembering that they died by being crushed to death by fellow fans.

Back
Top Bottom