Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United - F.A. Cup Semi-Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is anyone else feeling like this could be a very ‘spursy’ end to the season?

Tough to take this one... and a very important 4 games in the league to come. The annoying jibba jabba wankers in the media are going to make it a torrid time for us after this defeat. So we have to be ready to finish strongly. Coys.

If we lose/draw our next game I will be absolutely bricking it about the top 4.

The bottom line:
We lost successive cup semi finals. Sick.
We need to finish top 4 or top 4 this season.
With above we had average season and move on.
Oh we finished above woolwich.

It is owner issue. When chelsea and mancity were bought by oligarchs and sheikhs, they spent on marquee players and started from bottom wining FA and league cups and then going to winning PL and CL (chelsea's case) titles.
We do not have these marquee players to change the mentality of the team. Our owner has limited spending budget on players. Look at the salaries we pay.
How many of current Spurs players have won cups or titles before joining the club? I think NONE.
How many cups and titles did Poch win as manager before joining Spurs? I think NONE.

Sorry, but this is bs.

Those players who went out to the field were absolutely able to better the ManU side.
The ManU side that has poured smth like half a billion into their side. That shows the owners knowledge and powers. The starting XI we used today is the best lineup we have minus Lloris.

Birmingham City. Swansea City. Wigan. Some of the cup winners since the last time we won a trophy.

Stoke. Aston Villa. Hull. Southampton. Bradford. Cardiff. Sunderland. Some of the cup finalists since we last won a trophy.

I don't expect us to win the league, we don't have the squad or the finances. But you don't need to be mega rich to reach the final of a cup, plenty of lesser clubs have managed it. Which makes it even more frustrating that we seemingly can't.

I don't agree with "We can't afford to win things/get to finals", as clearly people with less can and do.
What's the point of getting to the final of a cup?

In sport, as in life, there will be trying times, when things go badly, sometimes it's your fault, sometimes not - getting through those bad times, with your head held high, without criticising others or giving up, is what characterises you as a person.

Defeat will of course help shape these young sportsmen and this manager - good times will come, and when they do they will be all the sweeter, because we have earned it.

Perhaps we will win the league, perhaps we won't. But I hope we will never buy success like City or play non-football like United. Let them win the Cup in that fashion if they want, I support Spurs for a reason.

It's just a game you know - and I believe it is better to try and fail, with honour and glory, than to buy and/or cheat our way to success. People who accuse us of 'bottling' don't understand or love the glorious game, they love 'winning' things - that's not sport and it is, literally, not sporting. I don't like them and I don't ever want to be like them.
It seems we not only need to change the mentality of the team BUT we also have to change the mentality of the fans.

Last edited:
I’m fine with losing. I’m not fine with losing a behaving like a bunch of fucking mercenaries that don’t try at all and bleed for the badge. Not good enough. Not even trying while losing by only a goal and with a lot of time? I wanted to slap the living out of some players. Spoiled brats.

Sorry, but this is bs.

Those players who went out to the field were absolutely able to better the ManU side.
The ManU side that has poured smth like half a billion into their side. That shows the owners knowledge and powers. The starting XI we used today is the best lineup we have minus Lloris.
It is not bs, You just explained why it isn't:
We have better players and we lost. We don't know how to win, we don't have the know how. Why the best line up not used today! Toby and Lloris didn't play today.

Many fans of Southampton warned us that Poch would often choose players in the "in-crowd" and would be overly sentimental. Playing people even when he should not.

Davies and Trippier are not title winning full backs.

Dier is not a title winning CM.

Dembele is old and was responsible for the first goal 100% and imo has cost us that semi-final.

Alli and Sanchez are nothing more than prospects who may make it.

Kane should not have played any of the last 3 games.

Toby should have played this game. So should Lloris.

The players seem too comfortable with Poch and like they're undropable. Buying "competition" is pointless if that competition never plays, because then the starting players still feel comfortable.
Dele alli is not a prospect. He’s a top player. But agree with the rest.

?

It seems we not only to change the mentality of the team BUT we also have to change the mentality of the fans.

Yea it's pretty funny how we can start an injured striker multiple games in a row in the most physically demanding league in the world, and some fans come away with the conclusion that "the team has peaked" or "the squad doesn't have a winners mentality".

Football is a team sport- we don't have superior enough talent to let 1 player amble around half-injured and still win, it's simple as that. Kane not fit enough to press and run about is a Kane that we can't afford to be starting- simple as that. Poch and Kane need to consider this and make the necessary adjustments.

We aren't a good enough team to run a "Weekend at Bernie's" routine with Kane. It's an insult to the rest of the teams in the leauge.

In sport, as in life, there will be trying times, when things go badly, sometimes it's your fault, sometimes not - getting through those bad times, with your head held high, without criticising others or giving up, is what characterises you as a person.

Defeat will of course help shape these young sportsmen and this manager - good times will come, and when they do they will be all the sweeter, because we have earned it.

Perhaps we will win the league, perhaps we won't. But I hope we will never buy success like City or play non-football like United. Let them win the Cup in that fashion if they want, I support Spurs for a reason.

It's just a game you know - and I believe it is better to try and fail, with honour and glory, than to buy and/or cheat our way to success. People who accuse us of 'bottling' don't understand or love the glorious game, they love 'winning' things - that's not sport and it is, literally, not sporting. I don't like them and I don't ever want to be like them.
There was no trying, no honour and no glory this time around.
It's either a wage strike or they're getting too used to this routine. Not good when you're actually competing for honours.
I would also say, we're not holding unreasonable expectations. A club that is forever getting knocked out in round 5/6 and hovers around 10th in the table can enjoy their football day by day. A club with some of the best players in the league needs to either have high expectations all round, or lose its players before they have a chance to get a trophy on top of being revenue earners.

Last edited:
He said it twice "with me or another coaching staff". It sounds he may not be around for too long, next season?!
xWmP24d.gif

Wenger in??????

Right. Caught up as best I can.

For me, the hyteria reflects just how much we wanted/expected in some ways to win this match. We have no God given right given to win any match - let alone an FA Cup semi final against Manchester United.

It fucking sucks. We’re all hurting. But I cannot shake a ‘baby out with the bathwater’ feeling about people melting down over this result. Fucking hell. Get a grip. In our season away from Tottenham, top 4 (and nothing else, unfortunately) is not a bad innings.

Quite frankly, I’m proud that the quality of our team means we are this disappointed from the match. Time was that we’d have just seen it as being par for the course.

It’s all a gradual progress. Big teams collect trophies like the FA Cup because it ends up being a routine for them (or sometimes, they have jammy fixtures). We’re getting there.

I honestly think that Poch just had a little melt and he'll have a meeting with Levy and the players and come back stronger.

Very frustrating game, but Mourinho is the best in the world at frustrating teams.

Thought Alli, Eriksen, Vertonghen and Dier all played well. Sanchez, Son and Kane particularly poor. Vorm showed us why Hugo is undroppable. Full backs offered nothing.

Rose and Toby will go. I think we should offload Aurier too and get a new pair of full backs and a new centre back.

I've been saying it for almost 10 years, but we need to sign a quality striker. Someone to at least try to challenge Kane.

Some of the people on here are embarrassing. Like little kids that didn't get the present they put in their letters to Santa. Embarrassing levels of entitlement that I've never seen at our club before.

We will go again. The project is still on course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom