Tottenham Hotspur v Luton. 3pm 30/3/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the lads learned nothing from Fulham and think again that they can win by just lacing up their boots, especially at home, they'll get another nasty surprise.

You'd bet on Ange trying to get the mentality right but it would be real nice if we could play with urgency and intent from the start and make our chances count, not wake up and respond only when adversity, like another set piece balls-up, strikes.

Win and it's Angeball
Lose and it's the players

Do you all listen to yourselves?

The plan is the same every match. Pass the opposition to death to tire them out. That's it. The problem is, we can't defend when teams actually have a go because everyone is in the other half and we're not actually very creative in front of goal.

We don't look like we practice attacking moves. Which I could understand if we weren't more leaky than old plumbing.
We just pass it side to side to side to side to side and get caught on the break.

I don't like this fan attitude that if we win it's the coach and if we lose it's the players. That's bollocks.

I want to see a reaction, not just for this game but one that lasts into the next 3-4 games before we hit that ridiculously hard run in.

Anything other than a comfortable win and a clean sheet is unacceptable.

sweat blood you cunts

Win and it's Angeball

The plan is the same every match. Pass the opposition to death to tire them out. That's it. The problem is, we can't defend when teams actually have a go because everyone is in the other half and we're not actually very creative in front of goal.

We don't look like we practice attacking moves. Which I could understand if we weren't more leaky than old plumbing.
We just pass it side to side to side to side to side and get caught on the break.

I don't like this fan attitude that if we win it's the coach and if we lose it's the players. That's bollocks.
The Fulham game was a mixture of both. Kamikaze tactics = manager. lack of effort = players. Rocking up with that level of arrogance and complacency = everyone

I want to see a reaction, not just for this game but one that lasts into the next 3-4 games before we hit that ridiculously hard run in.

Anything other than a comfortable win and a clean sheet is unacceptable.

sweat blood you cunts

We haven't won 4 on the bounce since that mythical first 10 game unbeaten run.
In fact, since then, we have won 3 in a row once and 2 in a row once. That's it. We're actually horribly inconsistent and I can't wrap my head around why so many fans, pundits and media get so fucking carried away when we win.

From game week 16, when we sort of recovered from the Chelsea game a bit,
WWWLWDWDWLWWL

3 losses isn't terrible I guess, but we really can't string a run of wins together.

Them up the road from GW 16

LWDLLWWWWWWWW

Hate to use them as an example, but 8 wins in the bounce is proper. Our run is pretty shite and is only really helped by the patchy form of Villa and United either side of us.
The weird part of this, is in that run of games, they've only won one more game than us. But doing them all back to back like that seems to have a significant impact.

We haven't won 4 on the bounce since that mythical first 10 game unbeaten run.
In fact, since then, we have won 3 in a row once and 2 in a row once. That's it. We're actually horribly inconsistent and I can't wrap my head around why so many fans, pundits and media get so fucking carried away when we win.

From game week 16, when we sort of recovered from the Chelsea game a bit,
WWWLWDWDWLWWL

3 losses isn't terrible I guess, but we really can't string a run of wins together.

Them up the road from GW 16

LWDLLWWWWWWWW

Hate to use them as an example, but 8 wins in the bounce is proper. Our run is pretty shite and is only really helped by the patchy form of Villa and United either side of us.
The weird part of this, is in that run of games, they've only won one more game than us. But doing them all back to back like that seems to have a significant impact.
Yep. We are some way from being title contenders next year. Cunts need to fight for the ball like their families lives depend on it. Let's have more "we never stop" pls ffs.

Sand in those days. Very hard. Super bouncy.
Having good close control and technique was key.

As I played on it a lot I knew how to weight passes. And time tackles and the biggest thing that caught people out the bounce of the ball.
Bit like me at my primary school.
We had a wall running the length of the bit of the playground we played football in during breaks.
I use to do a one/two with it to take me past a player.
Effing useless when i tried to transfer my skill onto a proper pitch though .I kept giving away throw ins...

Bit like me at my primary school.
We had a wall running the length of the bit of the playground we played football in during breaks.
I use to do a one/two with it to take me past a player.
Effing useless when i tried to transfer my skill onto a proper pitch though .I kept giving away throw ins...
I can relate to that. Growing up in the west of Scotland, most of the coaching revolved around the mantra "if in doubt, kick it out". Which was fine, unless it was all young players learnt.

When you have a performance as bad as Fulham you really have to go back to the absolute basics. Start by respecting the opponent and try to actually get to the ball before them.

I don’t know what kind of glue our players had been huffing after the Villa win but they played as if they’d just won the title and the game was a dead rubber. They gave Fulham less respect than some random Chinese team we’d play during preseason.

Still reeling over the Fulham game.

I have absolutely no faith in us being able to fix the problems that we’ve had over the past few months.

Slow off the bat, unable to create chances and breakdown stubborn defences, incredibly indecisive and wasteful in front of goal, unforced errors in the final third that turn possession over, vulnerable on the counter.

I don’t think there’s much that can be done with the current players and coaching set up. You’ve got Ryan Mason as an attacking coach (not sure what qualifies him for that role tbh) and a very uninspired set of wingers (with the exception of an ageing Son).

I reckon the best we can hope for is to crawl over the line, qualify for the Champions League as 5th might be enough (that’d be enjoyable to experience again) and hope that we can improve the areas that need improving in the summer. I’m skeptical though. Think it’s going to be Groundhog Day again with Levy bringing in a manager with a very distinct style of play only to fail to provide the players he needs.

Last chance saloon for me. No significant improvement over the summer and I’m done for good. We’ve put up with this ownership for a very long time with zero success to show for it aside from one league cup 16 years ago. With the money the club makes these days, paired with their recent decision to up ticket prices and axe pensioner support, if the club don’t heavily invest in the right areas in the summer, I think that’s a good point to check out.

When you have a performance as bad as Fulham you really have to go back to the absolute basics. Start by respecting the opponent and try to actually get to the ball before them.

I don’t know what kind of glue our players had been huffing after the Villa win but they played as if they’d just won the title and the game was a dead rubber. They gave Fulham less respect than some random Chinese team we’d play during preseason.
General Tso's XI

Win and it's Angeball

I dno if that is the case but we misplaced so many simple passes. That isn't Postecoglous fault.

I also noticed how Sarrs pressing(Postecoglous instruction/tactic) was just leaving holes everywhere, however when Bentancur did it, it was when it was on and not when there was unnecessary risk.

I felt Bissouma was held out to dry a bit, he had so much ground to cover because of Sarrs lack of discipline at times, Although Biss did switch off at key moments.

Maddison set the tone right at the start with his shit pass that lead to their first chance. he didn't help out defensively at all from what I remember. was poor.

Once the midfield did manage to do some good work our forwards gave it away, way too many times.

Postecoglou should have made changes at half time. It was clear to see but I don't think you can blame the manager when 8 of your players are miss placing passes constantly.

Last edited:
Luton very much deserve to be in the EPL, after suffering the biggest ever points deduction in English football history, and having to fight their way back up from non-league football. I'm a N9 native, moved to Luton in 2009, and after a couple of years got involved with LTFC as my prospective in-laws followed them. Somehow, I managed to juggle Spurs and Luton attendances, eventually holding a Luton ST as well as my THFC membership. I was offered a Spurs ST in 2017, so gave up the Luton ticket. I had some amazing home and away days with the Luton lot I was involved with, and was very much accepted, despite my open support of Spurs, and I'm still made very welcome at their pub. We'll probably beat Luton, as they're pretty much f*cked through injuries right now, but they will no doubt be treated with respect by our players on the 30th.

I don't know how to tag Bernard Matthews, but his comments must surely be borne out of ignorance.

^^^^^^^ BernardMatthews BernardMatthews

Postecoglou should have made changes at half time. It was clear to see but I don't think you can blame the manager when 8 of your players are missing placing passes constantly.

Yeah, this was a weird one. Usually I'd have some pretty clear ideas about who or what needed to change during a match, but against Fulham I was struggling to see what the answer was because so many players were just playing below their capabilities. There was no single weakness as much as Fulham just playing their best football, and us looking like we'd been out at Rattlers doing sambuca shots the night before.

Win and it's Angeball

Perhaps you didn't see Sonny saying THE PLAYERS didn't put in enough effort against Fulham.

Unacceptable.

Conversely; the players got plenty of plaudits after last weeks game v Villa.... Once again it is YOU talking "bollocks", fella.

63LS2c5.jpeg

Austin, Emerson, Davies, Dragusin, Hojbjerg, Bissouma, Kulusevski, Johnson, Richarlison

Cheers.
His pathetic reply isn't worth the sweat off my thumbs.

Just being a 'weaver' mate... Can't say I noticed his OG comments.

FYI.... Just type @ and the the first few letters of the user name afterwards with no space in between.

Back
Top Bottom