Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It really is about time we beat this utter filth.Two teams that are very similar. I think its nailed on he will play wanyama and dier together in the middle, so thats any hope of us being an attacking threat and carving them apart gone. Might aswell watch paint dry.
We will both cancel each other out. Saturday morning game, no atmosphere.....boring 0-0 written all over it. :avbcringe:

It really is about time we beat this utter filth.Two teams that are very similar. I think its nailed on he will play wanyama and dier together in the middle, so thats any hope of us being an attacking threat and carving them apart gone. Might aswell watch paint dry.
We will both cancel each other out. Saturday morning game, no atmosphere.....boring 0-0 written all over it. :avbcringe:

I agree, in fact why are we even playing this game? Should just cancel it and spare you the bother.

:eriksenserious:

What are those loons at RAWK saying about this game?

This will be the last league game between these two teams played at this ground which was opened some 117 years ago. Tottenham will move temporarily to Wembley while this ground gets demolished to help build a brand new stadium just next doors to be opened at the start of the 2018-19 season.

Match Preview:
Jurgen Klopp will take his team to the site where his career as a Liverpool manager started a little less than a year ago against a team that will most likely be a direct rival for a top four spot at the end of the season. Both teams had mixed results at the first two rounds of the league, Spurs, looked second best for the most part in their season opener against Everton, in a game where they lost their starting goal keeper Hugo Lloris due to injury, only grabbing a draw and it took them the best part of 83 minutes to unlock Crystal Palace's defense, this past Saturday to beat Alan Pardew's men with a goal that came off a set piece. Maurico Pochettino's men haven't looked at their best so far especially in the middle of the park where Moussa Dembele's vision and Dele Alli's energy have fired them to third place last season.

Liverpool on the other hand, managed to show their absolute best and worst so far in the 180 minutes that have been played. Against Woolwich, Klopp's men managed to score four past their opponents, with three goals coming in the first 20 minutes of the second half, however, they almost let their three goal advantage slip by conceding twice, winning 4-3 in a game that looked almost over when the score was 4-1. Against Burnley, Klopp's men looked bereft of ideas of how to get into any scoring areas and despite having %81 of the possession, they looked clueless and lost 2-0 with a lot of question marks hanging over their backline especially the left back and the holding midfielder positions.

Both managers love their teams to press early and high up the pitch when the opposition's defense have the ball. Spurs & Liverpool usually cover more kilometers per match than most teams in the league, so it is safe to say that the real battle will be in the middle of the park.

Pochettino preferred to start both league games so far with Victor Wanayama and Eric Dier in a midfield of two with Dele Alli being dropped in the home game against Crystal Palace for Victor Jensen essentially changing the formation from 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 with Eriksen and Lamela occupying wide roles in both games. It is fair to say that he will revert back to a 4-2-3-1 to match the physicality of Liverpool's midfield which so far in the league have been represented by Lallana and Wijnaldum with Henderson playing a holding midfielder behind them in a 4-3-3 formation. Depending on his injury status, Emre Can might start in Henderson's role, offering more protection to the back four which will probably see Joel Matip start his first league game in place of Ragner Klavan. The former Schalke defender will have, the difficult task of marking last season's top goal scorer Harry Kane in his league debut for the Reds.

Upfront for the Reds, is where it gets interested, Klopp started the game against Woolwich with Firmino in the middle with Mane and Coutinho behind him on the wings, however with Mane injured for the second game, he started Sturridge in his place and surprisingly, the Englishman played most of the game as a right inside forward. In the midweek, league cup tie against Burton Albion, Mane, who has been a revelation for Liverpool so far, regained his position with Origi playing a central striker and Firmino shifted to the left, the Reds scored three goals before Sturridge was introduced in place of Origi and scoring a brace himself. Jurgen Klopp certainly has the options up top but needs to start with a recognized Center Forward as Liverpool lacked any presence in the opposition's penalty area against Burnely, because Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino all dropped deep to demand the ball and no one stood on the shoulders of the last defender in the box, which limited Liverpool's options to shots from 35 yards.

It is going to be a tight affair, if the reverse fixture from last season at Anfield taught us anything.
Cock and Bollocks Knickerless

Can I be a twat?

It's Hotspur, not Hotspurs. I know!
:adethumbup:

Garnier

The players started very slowly against Woolwich/burnley/burton. Could be costly against Tottenham's duracell bunnies

A win could make optimism rise around again.

XI:Simon,Nathaniel,Dejan,Joel,James,Jordan,Gini,Adam,Philippe,Roberto,Sadio
I think Emre won't be ready for the weekend,if he is ,then he displaces Wijnaldum
:pritchardeyes:

LOHAG

I hate these lunchtime KO's
Can anyone remember a decent atmosphere or game in any fixture in the last few seasons?
Think it will work in our favour this time though. Early KO, reduced capacity in the ground and chuffing great hole in the stadium will lead to a shite atmosphere.
We weather the early advances, quieten the crowd then begin to impose ourselves.
A lot depends I think on the midfield performance. They hassle and press with as much energy, and perhaps a little more skill, than us. We need to move the ball quickly through the middle of the pitch, give it to mane, firmino, studge, sit back and watch the goals fly in.
2-1 the Reds.
:vertna:

Halewooder

Think these will pose more of a threat than Woolwich did a couple of weeks back.

Not going to end well for us I reckon. 2-0 Spurs win.
:pochsmirk:

bornandbRED

3-0 Liverpool. Sturridge 2 goals at least.
:walker-scream:

pyroparty

Will be a tough game but we've a decent record there in recent times! Hopefully they dont have a shot on target though.
:kaneear:

Primativ

"Dembele's vision"

Dembele has many excellent attributes but vision isn't one of them. Try strength, ball control, dribbling, tackling, retaining possession etc

In any case, he's suspended for this game.

I think for this game, Poch will revert back to his usual 4 - 2 - 3 - 1. The back five picks itself, Wanyama and Dier as the two holding midfielders, Lamela Alli and Eriksen playing off Kane. I think Janssen will go back to the bench despite an impressive home debut last week.

It will be a really interesting game this one, as Spurs have probably the best defence in the league, whilst also still retaining a dangerous attack which it's fair to say hasn't quite clicked into gear yet, and Liverpool have started the season scoring goals for fun but have looked really poor at the back.

Should be a good game.
:dembelefingers:

Redcap

Should be a good game.

With Wanyama and Dier in front of the back 4, it wouldn't be difficult to have the best defense in the game. Surely they wouldn't be so negative that they'll only attack us with 4 players at home.
:wanyama:

Inpeace

We played with them for the first two games (including C palace at home), didn't look defensive to me both Wanyama and Dier do burst forward. Injuries permitting it is a certainty that both play.

Half chance Erikson gets dropped and Jansen plays.
:eriksenserious:

Bend It Like Aurelio

We will be soaking up the pressure I think, we haven't really played with any real press this season yet. I've seen us constantly defending in a compact 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1 so far. But even in the Woolwich game, we weren't pressing like we did at times last season. Not sure what is happening, perhaps Klopp is wary of having too many injuries before the team gets their legs.

Firmino Coutinho and Mane will play, with Mane as our main outlet on the counter. Lallana Henderson and Wijnaldum the midfielders, Milner Matip Lovren and Clyne in the back.
:pochbye:

clinical
Close game this will be. They have a midfield of DMs and we have a midfield of AMs. Maybe we can do a swap and have one of each?
:chadliwtf:

Cock and Bollocks Knickerless
Not going to b easy but we've done very well in big away games under Klopp so we should go into it with confidence.

We can cause them problems, even with their good defence. If their full backs do bomb on then hopefully Mane can catch them out of position on the break, definitely a weapon we haven't had in the last couple of seasons.

Clearly they'll pose our defence a lot of tough questions too. You could easily make a case for any result here but I think we can win it. But I'll sit on the fence and plump for 1-1!
:roseunsure:

SerbianScouser

A mother of all must not lose games.
:dembele:

El Lobo

Yeah...three games into the season
:pochohshit:

Last edited:
He really is very, very boring. The smiley cheesy stuff that everyone loves represents 30 seconds worth of actual material. I find Poch's press conferences easier to listen to, that's how boring he is.

Back
Top Bottom