Tottenham Hotspur v Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Surprised I didn't get a hammering for the last comment..

We have papered over cracks though, this is a great result on paper but as someone alluded to it was very AVB-esque and people would have slaughtered that performance, City, and Hull if he was still in charge.

Really don't know why we're playing like this at the moment. Rose looks pretty shaky, although we've known he's the 'weak link' since we failed to get Coentrao in summer. The midfield is a farce, Bentaleb is too young and inexperienced to play the holding midfield role on his own. Paulinho and Dembele are both attack-minded midfielders which leaves him so exposed, and he can't cope with it on his own (again, not a dig at the kid). Will be very interested when Sandro returns to see if he says in the side.

Also not sure how many times I have to say this, but Adebayor simply cannot play as a lone striker. Barely saw him mentioned here throughout the game, but he drifts so wide and/or deep that there's never anybody in the middle to get on the end of crosses (see: 20 crosses that failed to find anyone today). Needs a partner, or a shadow striker like we were playing with in Sherwood's first few games. Not doubting his finishing or hold-up play but our creativity means nothing if there's nobody on the end of any of it.

On the plus side we looked so much more assured at the back with Vertonghen in there, great defender and we've really missed him.

We are, but we don't look convincing IMO. I don't see us being able to deliver the kind of demolishings this season that Liverpool have handed out, and I think that is going to make the difference. I think they just have that extra something this year that we haven't had to contend with in recent seasons.
Suarez and Sturridge. They make the difference to an otherwise average side that plays a decent possession game.

Had AVB those two (or a pair in that side of form/understanding) we would probably be in a title race right now

Massive 3 points - hopefully the performance will improve on Wednesday as I fear it'll need to (the barcodes have been shite recently and are due a good showing).

Liked Dembele advancing today altho felt it wasn't entirely clear between him and Pauli what their responsibilities were.

With no agenda other than spurs winning, I would have to plump for Capoue up there - think his presence gives rthe others more freedom to attack

The team needs an on field engine driver who drives everyone and talks them up, an old fashioned leader to take charge.

We are, but we don't look convincing IMO. I don't see us being able to deliver the kind of demolishings this season that Liverpool have handed out, and I think that is going to make the difference. I think they just have that extra something this year that we haven't had to contend with in recent seasons.
The fact that Liverpool scored 31 more goals than we did (almost twice our tally) clearly indicates that at this moment a top four spot is theirs to lose. However, it ain't over till it's over.

I'm still assuming we're gonna go two up top for the 'weaker teams' and play the five in midfield for tests like today and against most of the top 5 or 6 teams. Hats off to Everton for the pressure they put on, constantly hounded our players, limited our chances, think Soldado would of been handy today as he's got that little incisive pass in him that you need against teams who press as fast as Everton.
Fucking chuffed with a win though, march on.

Thinking about it , yes it was shite but we beat a team who's there or there abouts... Crap yes but a win against a team who we need to be ahead of ..

WHISKEY!!

Back
Top Bottom