Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a damned tricky situation no matter what your master narrative of all things Spurs is.

And we just have no idea what the relationship between Toby and Poch is at this point. Anyone who claims certainty on that point is bullshitting.

It's a damned tricky situation no matter what your master narrative of all things Spurs is.

And we just have no idea what the relationship between Toby and Poch is at this point. Anyone who claims certainty on that point is bullshitting.
I think it's fair to say that pochettino has a tendency to make less use of players he feels are not commited, going by the Kyle Walker example.

Doubtful. I think Poch sees Davinson as key to the way his team plays. I think it's more a straight choice between Jan and Toby to play alongside Dav.
Well if poch sees him as 3rd choice then I doubt he would commit.

When you compared the Kyle Walker situation to Toby after he was deemed healthy, they seem awfully similar

I'm a bit torn on this subject. Toby has been phenomenal for us since arriving.

Looking at the two possibilities, stay or go. I'm all for keeping our best players. I'm not buying that he'd get cast aside here. Walker wanted out but was still used in rotation, though was demoted to 2nd choice as Trippier played the big matches. We would inevitably need Toby as the season draws on. If he remains professional and gives his best I'd love to see him stay with us.

If he does leave I don't really see it as strengthing Utd too much. Utd had the 2nd best defence last season conceding 28 goals, just one more than City. So the fact Mourinho wants a CB when he needs to strengthen elsewhere is a mystery to me.

Getting Martial would be good for us but I think we need the cash to replace Toby. If we can get £55mill (if that is the price?) then for a 29-year-old who may run his contract down we have to take it and strengthen ourselves, not worry about what Utd are doing.

So in conclusion...I believe we'll be ok which ever way this goes.

Thibaut Courtois, Eden Hazard, Toby Alderweireld: Premier League's Belgian stars on the move?

Belgian journalist Terreur updated the latest edition of Transfer Talk on the futures of his three compatriots, who have all been the subject of significant interest throughout the summer:

"There's only one possibility, and that's Manchester United. They are the only team who can pay what Spurs want at the moment. Real Madrid are not interested, Barcelona aren't, nor Juventus nor PSG. It's going to be difficult. I've been told in the last few weeks it's complicated between the two teams too.

"Daniel Levy has always been known as a tough negotiator, Ed Woodward likes to bet on several horses, which he is doing now with all the names flying around, and if he moves it will be a deadline-day deal."

If he doesn't move, what will the knock-on effect be?

"I think he will stay professional and keep on playing. He has only one year left from now, and Spurs have an option they could take up before May of an extra year, but then that triggers a release clause of £25m. Then he has something where he says, "I can leave for £25m," but I think he'd prefer to go on a free transfer. They might even contest the option, because unilateral options are always on shaky ground from a legal point of view.

"There have been several cases in other countries where players have contested these options and it has gone to court, and some judges have said it's not legal without a pay rise. It's about the free movement of people too, as he could have moved on a free transfer without the extension, so we will have to see how they are implemented this time next year."

Thibaut Courtois, Eden Hazard, Toby Alderweireld: Premier League's Belgian stars on the move?

Belgian journalist Terreur updated the latest edition of Transfer Talk on the futures of his three compatriots, who have all been the subject of significant interest throughout the summer:

"There's only one possibility, and that's Manchester United. They are the only team who can pay what Spurs want at the moment. Real Madrid are not interested, Barcelona aren't, nor Juventus nor PSG. It's going to be difficult. I've been told in the last few weeks it's complicated between the two teams too.

"Daniel Levy has always been known as a tough negotiator, Ed Woodward likes to bet on several horses, which he is doing now with all the names flying around, and if he moves it will be a deadline-day deal."

If he doesn't move, what will the knock-on effect be?

"I think he will stay professional and keep on playing. He has only one year left from now, and Spurs have an option they could take up before May of an extra year, but then that triggers a release clause of £25m. Then he has something where he says, "I can leave for £25m," but I think he'd prefer to go on a free transfer. They might even contest the option, because unilateral options are always on shaky ground from a legal point of view.

"There have been several cases in other countries where players have contested these options and it has gone to court, and some judges have said it's not legal without a pay rise. It's about the free movement of people too, as he could have moved on a free transfer without the extension, so we will have to see how they are implemented this time next year."

Huge fan of Toby when he first came here. Oozes class, but a bit strange that only 1 club in the world is interested in his services.

The Belgian journo is very reliable so i believe him, just makes you wonder.

Huge fan of Toby when he first came here. Oozes class, but a bit strange that only 1 club in the world is interested in his services.

The Belgian journo is very reliable so i believe him, just makes you wonder.

I'm sure a lot of clubs would love to have him. Just not sure how many want to pay 50mil plus and 200k/wk for a soon to be 30 year-old. I think if we keep him this season they'll be many more suitors once the transfer fee hits 25mil.

I still ain't getting all the hate towards Toby. He's never refused to play, was rightly upset at not playing last season. what proffessional wouldn't be. And is simply refusing to sign a new contract he ain't happy with. Yet he's still hounouring the contract the club agreed to that guarentees we at least double our money if he leaves next year.....
It seems every time the club sells one if its best players, that player must be labelled a cunt. Its fucking pathetic.

Let's fucking hope he will never be fit ever again if he does leave for United. He will be second only to Sol Cuntbell on my cuntiest ex spur list.

Third for me

Remember Berba throwing his toys?

Get rid now but not to ManU unless we get Martial

Levy should dig his heels in on this

Well after 229 pages of sheer guesswork we will now find out the truth:

A) Will Poch play him?
B) Will Toby turn up?
C) Is he still fit/good enough to command a start?

IMO he's a professional and he'll give it 100% .... not long until we know ....

Back
Top Bottom