Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does anyone feel that his decision to settle the issue now is a bit off?
He was part of a cabal that used their contract status to remove the manager.

I think it will be good for us (Alderweireld long term under Mourinho), but I also think player power is to the detriment of the game.

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that Pochettino might have been the problem?

I mean, he was talking up the Real job before a CL final, apparently being more stand offish with the players in training and sulking around the place for months if you believe what you read (which works both ways when we talk about players being contract rebels and believing what we read in regards to that.)

I mean some will defend Poch but then also slam Mourinho because of how things ended at United, is it not possible that things were going bad behind the scenes because of Poch here in the same way they were with Mourinho at United? Just to a lesser extent?

Poch has always been quite emotional, maybe he was struggling to remain professional behind the scenes by not being as committed as he was before?

I did. Ever since Poch dropped him when he came back from injury two years ago, their relationship was finished. It was not just about money.

Mou sees him as an undroppable player because of his defending skill and also his long passing. I expect Jan will also sign, another player who was dropped harshly this season.

He is not undroppable.

Surprise re-signing whatever anyone says but with lots of sense behind it.

Plus Mourinho always wants experience and reliability in his defence and that is not the defence of defending him!!

Toby not signing a contract goes back to when Poch was at his best and when there was no hint of player unrest, sure a new manager will have made a difference but saying Poch was the issue is harsh. The fact is the club have always been very reluctant to give players over 30 long contracts, that position softened when Sissoko got his contract extension, and now Toby has got his. Shouldn't be forgotten that his injury in 2017/18 made a lot of us wonder if he'd ever come back, clearly other teams also worried as there were no takers for him last summer ... great to have his experience secured for the next three years even if he ends up just helping develop the youngsters we now have Sanchez, Foyth and Tanganga it will be worth it.

We'll probably never know what happened in the last 12 months (well, until the Amazon documentary!) but whatever it was, he was clearly not happy to commit his future here with Poch in charge. Undoubtedly one of the best CB's we've had (Ledley aside, of course). Definitely a big, big statement to get him signed up and it's another nail in the coffin of the gloom and doom we've endured in recent months.

Happy Christmas :)

Toby not signing a contract goes back to when Poch was at his best and when there was no hint of player unrest, sure a new manager will have made a difference but saying Poch was the issue is harsh. The fact is the club have always been very reluctant to give players over 30 long contracts, that position softened when Sissoko got his contract extension, and now Toby has got his. Shouldn't be forgotten that his injury in 2017/18 made a lot of us wonder if he'd ever come back, clearly other teams also worried as there were no takers for him last summer ... great to have his experience secured for the next three years even if he ends up just helping develop the youngsters we now have Sanchez, Foyth and Tanganga it will be worth it.

I didn't realise it was dragging on that long to be honest so you make a good point, I was just wondering if it was a possibility, to be honest for all we know Toby didn't want to sign under Poch because he didn't have faith in winning things under him, it does seem that now we have Mourinho that players are more inclined to sign with us again, I could be wrong though but that's just how it seems to me.

Get Jan tied down now.
ken.jpg

Also means we don't have to rush around looking for a new centre back and can press on with more important matters.

Fair play to Toby for always being professional too and maintaining that he always wanted to be here and signing before he could talk to other clubs in 12 days time.

Back
Top Bottom