Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This thread CRIMINALLY needs a bump

Premier League winners and losers - Football365

Winners
Toby Alderweireld

The odds for the PFA Player of the Year are indicative of our infatuation with attacking players and obsession with young, English talents. Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez, Mesut Ozil, Dimitri Payet and Harry Kane make up the predictable (but fully understandable) top five.

There are 15 players quoted with odds for the award, ranging in price from evens to 100/1, yet the Premier League’s best defender this season does not even merit a mention. Should Tottenham pip Leicester to the Premier League title, there is a strong case for Alderweireld winning the gong. And yet there is absolutely no chance of that happening.

Last season, Tottenham conceded 53 league goals. That was the highest number in the top half, the same as relegated Burnley and more than relegated Hull. Since then, the Premier League’s joint-14th best defence has become the best, and the only new member of the usual back five is Alderweireld. He was also part of a Southampton defence that conceded fewer goals than all but one team last season.

The statistic is startling. Since arriving in England, Alderweireld has started 56 matches and only conceded 46 goals in those games. He is the central defender Manchester United, Chelsea, Woolwich and Manchester City should have signed, and he’s leading Tottenham to places they have never been before.

He's pretty much the perfect captain. Not a shit talker off the field, leads with his actions on the field. A true leader.

It's crazy how a few seasons ago we were griping on here how the team has no leaders, especially when things get dire. Now in the back we have Toby and Jan as leaders of our defense, Dier as an outspoken leader in the midfield, and Harry as our leader in the front. We went from no one to having a team full of leaders. I love this team so much.
:dierpochhug:

And going back to just Toby, I think he should at least be our player of the season and if we win the league he should have a strong case for the league's player of the season.

He's pretty much the perfect captain. Not a shit talker off the field, leads with his actions on the field. A true leader.

It's crazy how a few seasons ago we were griping on here how the team has no leaders, especially when things get dire. Now in the back we have Toby and Jan as leaders of our defense, Dier as an outspoken leader in the midfield, and Harry as our leader in the front. We went from no one to having a team full of leaders. I love this team so much.
:dierpochhug:

And going back to just Toby, I think he should at least be our player of the season and if we win the league he should have a strong case for the league's player of the season.
He has been the leagues best player but scoring goals is what captures everyone's attention so expect it to be Vardy, Mahrez, Kane or Payet.

He has been the leagues best player but scoring goals is what captures everyone's attention so expect it to be Vardy, Mahrez, Kane or Payet.
And he's not a showboaty type player as well. Flies under the radar. It is nice though to hear pundits on most shows talk about how instrumental he's been for us. He has been appreciated by everyone.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, love Toby.

Surely he was this good last season at Southampton? Didn't they have the meanest defence? How has a move to us, only just highlighted his quality? Bigger clubs should have really come knocking. Instead the Chavs wasted their time chasing Stones, Shitty bought Ottamendi and Utd well we know they would have offered £50m, but did even bother. Instead we gazumped Southampton with an £11m bid, probably helped that we had Vertonghen, Dembele, Chadli and Eriksen.

He is definitely a first name on the team sheet.

I have him as our POTY so far. He is a classy footballer.

But our great defensive record this term is not down to him. Without the ball our defence starts with Kane, then down through the midfield. We also have a dedicated DM with Dier, combined with what is obviously a very well drilled back four regarding it's shape and positioning always staying on their feet unless a lunge/block or tackle demands one. Plus the oppo has then to get past Lloris.

The only game we have let the oppo team to run at our defence (as in previous years) was against BVB and that didn't end well.

Last edited:
I have him as our POTY so far. He is a classy footballer.

But our great defensive record this term is not down to him. Without the ball our defence starts with Kane, then down through the midfield. We also have a dedicated DM with Dier, combined with what is obviously a very well drilled back four regarding it's shape and positioning always staying on their feet unless a lunge/block or tackle demands one. Plus the oppo has then to get past Loris.

The only game we have let the oppo team to run at our defence (as in previous years) was against BVB and that didn't end well.

Massive lack of protection by removing the presence and physicality of both Dembele and Dier in front of the defence. No way either Mason or Carroll can drop back or offer adequate defensive screening.

Massive lack of protection by removing the presence and physicality of both Dembele and Dier in front of the defence. No way either Mason or Carroll can drop back or offer adequate defensive screening.
No doubt who our best two DM options are but without the rest of the team (CF & AM's) pressing our defence will be breached (this happened against Qarabag in the first half, Dier was swamped not because he was shit but because our pressing was poor). The pressing by Chadli and the other AM's against BVB was the worst it has been all season, they all worked very hard but pressed individually, which meant BVB played their way out from the back and then into midfield with ease all game, they always had an option to pass. We are at our best when the whole team presses, closing the player on the ball down, whilst our other players close down passing channels.

I'd say as important as either Blanchflower or Mackay perhaps? Classy, solid and dependable winners.

You're totally right.

But there is something about Toby that screams Maldini. Berasi, Moore. He looks world class in his position.

Greaves was world class. Truly world class. That's the comparison I'm making.

You're totally right.

But there is something about Toby that screams Maldini. Berasi, Moore. He looks world class in his position.

Greaves was world class. Truly world class. That's the comparison I'm making.

I'd say my two were world class as well, born winners.

Don't get me wrong I love Greavsie the player, used to have the old VHS on loop.

Thin Lilywhite Duke Thin Lilywhite Duke song for Toby methinks? (apologies in advance for the offensive bit at 0.50)

That was the child robot from AI, wasn't it?

(Not the actor, the real deal)

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom